Games Convention 05 review roundup

Discussion in 'Games' started by takao, Aug 23, 2005.

1. takao macrumors 68040

takao

the travel: funny but 6 hours each way

the rooms: crap, but fitting the budget ;)

leipzip: interesting city with quite a lot of new cosntructions going on

the Convention: i'm ready to save up money for then ext year:

Xbox 360: zero, zip, nada games playable 2-3 months before launch, presentations on _1_ screen showing game footage (live) which doesn't look as good as the _printed_ screenshots ... ouch .. but nice looking booth

micrsofst pc games: AoE3,Dungeon Siege 2, Rise of nations: legends,fable all look pretty finished and were running smooth on the presentation machines: thumbs up here microsoft

psps: lots of demo units but wireless play didn't work with around 3/4 of them "because we've got around 200 around" ...thumbs down sony ...not the best _multi_player coding... inacceptable loading times (it's worse than orgrimmar on a busy day), frequent crashes/defects (twice when playing on my own) you can do better than that.. the lounge (and graphics on some games) looked awesome

ps2: funny buzzer add on.. looks like a good party game, screens on the roof lying on the floor playing wasn't that comfortable, 24 the game: looks good but needs improvement on camera, socom 3: looks fun if multiplayer
    singstar 3: the usual: too few songs i know/like

ps3: nothing

revolution: nothing

gameboy micro: felt good in hand (was secured on the booth babe's trousers with a chain ;)) very small, screen more comfortable than i thought, different versions/colors look awesome friend made pictures of those but i haven't got them yet, price too high for me: 99€

DS: rented one for free for a few hours (got a nintendo tshirt as a bonus) together with polarium.. tried the download service point: tried out the downloadable demos ...worked smooth without a problem on 50 meter distance.. played online mario cart ds: fun as well worked with no problem
    advance wars,kirby canvas, the operation game look like must haves for ds owners

gamecube + nintendo booth: the new zelda, geist, and the mario soocer game look awesome and fun ... chibi the robot as well
    lots of bright lights and loud music and lots of games.. good presentation overall (german rap music wasn't my kinda deal though)

other games i was impressed with:
    prince of persia 3: finishing moves ... you gotta love them
    total overdose: bullet time fighting with awesome moves (like jumping out of a truck just before it crashes etc.) lots of fun
    battlestations midway: arcade warship fighting including airplanes, submarines and battleships: .. i'm sold
    UT2007: no playing yet but looked awesome and fun (and fluent)
    GT legends: awesome racing sim

average: soul calibur .. didn't look that much better but ok gameplay
    new NFS underground: played exactly like the last one just with police
    black: pretty hectic but good looks good physics

bad: the new hitman: ultra stupid AI
    the path of neo: bad, just bad
    FEAR: bad booth show... (50 cent as music ? *juk*).. laggy + buggy network code... so buggy that the multiplayer demo wasn't playable on half of the demo stations
    STALKER: despite all annoucment the game was absent on the thq booth (nice looking booth babes thou ;))

most friendly booth squad: SEGA, they were chatting around with the visitors and really looked like they had lot of fun

most annoying booths: atari ... excuse me this is a games conventon and not mallorca (bad games line up as well)

2. applekid macrumors 68020

Interesting take on the Games Convention. Thanks for posting :)

3. crachoar macrumors 6502a

So it was as worthless as E3 2005?

Sounds about right...

4. applekid macrumors 68020

Yeah, definitely a slow year for the game industry, even with next-gen consoles only less than a year off.

5. crachoar macrumors 6502a