Games for DS?

Discussion in 'Games' started by jdechko, Dec 11, 2005.

1. jdechko macrumors 68040

Jul 1, 2004
    So I just got my parents to buy me a Nintendo DS for Christmas, and I have a few games for my SP that I could play on it. My question is, what are some must have games for the DS system (besides Mario Kart DS, which is a given). Please also try to include the game's genre and a brief description of what makes you think it is a "must have".

Thanks in advance.
  2. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

Apr 12, 2005
    Moorestown, NJ
    i don't know your interests, but nintendogs is supposed to be really great, as is Super Mario 64X4 or whatever it's called. I haven't actually played Nintendogs, but i know people who have and they are addicted. As for 64X4, how can you not love the best Mario game ever made on your DS?!?! :)

EDIT: Warioware, i can't believe i missed that one, i love that game dearly.
  3. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    Nintendogs is pretty good. I haven't played it for a while now but it was good for a bit.
    Mario Kart DS is a must. best racing game ever IMO (its a toss up between that and ATR on the Amiga).
    Nanostray is an excellent Ikaruga style shooter.
    Kirby is Kirby :) cant fault it.
    Advance Wars DS is addictive as hell, but it does get very hard later on. no room for mistakes.
    Bomberman makes for brilliant multiplayers alongside Mario Kart.
    I keep going back to WarioWare :)
    They say Sonic Rush is the best sonic game since the Mega Drive days.
    Tony Hawks DS feels like the original Tony Hawks which makes it so much better :)

Count yourself lucky, the DS is a bloody amazing piece of kit. there are some top class games coming out now.
  4. .Andy macrumors 68030

Jul 18, 2004
    The Mergui Archipelago
    I'll reinforce a few games the others said :).

Animal Crossing.
    Mario Kart DS.
    Sonic Rush.
    Castlevania DS.
    Warioware DS (I like this for a laugh).
    Mario 64 (the extra characters and stars make it a worthwhile revisit).

I don't have it but Mario and Luigi have been getting good reviews. A good place to start is gamespot or IGN and read the readers reviews. They usually give a warts and all impression of the games.

5. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    After Mario Kart DS, get Mario & Luigi 2. Incredible game. I'm addicted.
  6. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Apr 9, 2003
    WarioWare - tons of crazy little games and things to unlock. Is it some super hard game? No, but it's got fun stuff, and you can whip it out, play for 5 minutes, and put it back. It's just tons and tons of simple short games that last a few seconds. Gotta figure it out and do it in just a few seconds. Lots of fun, as others have said.

Feel the Magic - Ok, I know, it's weird, lots of stupid things in it that make you feel embarassed to play it, but this game is awesome. Simple premise - guy trying to get a girl. So much fun, so many useful and creative ways to use the new controls. You blow on the screen to act as "wind" to push your sailboat in order to get to the girl and avoid the sharks. Use the stylus to push spikes out of the way before you roll over them, etc etc. Imagine WarioWare, but the games are a little longer and there's an actual story line. Less a "do this in 5 seconds" and more a "here's a fun little game to play that's really creative".

Nanostray - takes me back to the arcade days, it's fun, and hard to get good scores. Plane flies around, stuff comes out everywhere, you have to shoot it. What's fun is while the game is essentially in 2-D, your enemies move in 3-D. You also get to use the touch screen to select different weapons type (each has a strong and light firing mode). Just a great retro game.

Polarium - Puzzle game, not complicated at all but fun. A group of white and black tiles, you move your stylus over them in a single, continuous line, wherever you touch white turns to black and vice versa. Get the horizontal lines to be all one color and they disappear. It has a mode where you are given a puzzle, and you have to clear everything in one stroke, and another mode that's like tetris where you have to keep clearing them. Also lets you create and share puzzles with friends, which is fun, so it can always have new ones.

Bomberman - The single player is meh, but the multiplayer is awesome. Can make different teams and play on classic type levels and newer levels. One of the neat things is revenge, where you're on the bottom after you die and using the touch screen can throw small bombs at people. If you kill one you get to come back (though completely powered down). You can turn this option off. Anyway, multiplayer is a blast on it.

Lost in Blue - another game that isn't hard but is still fun. You're a boy stuck on an island with a girl. You have to survive and somehow get off the island, that's pretty much it. It's not like there's roaming hordes of monsters or people to kill you or anything. You have to find food, get vines to make rope, make beds, traps for animals, hunt, etc etc. It's fun using the touch screen and voice recognition. Stuff like the touchpad for using your spear or after you start a spark blowing on the screen to fan the fire like you would in real life. Simple, fun.

Yoshi Touch n Go - ok game, I liked it. Problem is there's really NOT much to it, so it can get boring unless you're fine with just getting better at the same stuff. Can do multiplayer. Fun, not a must have.

Pac-Pix - I don't own it, the girlfriend does, but the little I've played is fun. Not a must have, but a neat concept and in the 5-15 minutes I played it, I was happy. Simple idea, it's Pacman trying to eat ghosts, but you DRAW pacman, and your drawing comes to life and chomps and moves, which fits into one of those simple pleasures in life for me. You control them drawing lines, and it gets more fun as you try to have multiple pacmen on the screen at once and control them all.

MarioKart - It's MarioKart, it's awesome. I could talk about all the great things about it, but you seem to already want it, so all I'll say is: Get it.

Mario & Luigi
    Kirby Canvas
    Animal Crossing

Hope that helps, congrats on your DS. It's not some super "hardcore" (lots of blood and amazing graphics) system, but it's kept me more entertained than my PS2, and I like how it's brought in new ways to play.
  7. DevilDog macrumors regular

Dec 12, 2005
    Metroid Pinball is Amazing--and it includes the Rumble Pack.
    And GoldenEye has Superb Graphics.
  8. maddav macrumors 6502

Jul 3, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Animal Crossing
    Mario & Luigi:partners in time
    Super Princess Peach (import)
    Viewtiful Joe
    Dai Gassou Band Brothers (import)
  9. risc macrumors 68030

Jul 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    The only games I am still playing on my DS are Wario Ware Touched, Metroid Pinball, and Mario Kart, Mario 64 is okay too if you need a 3D platformer. IMHO Nintendogs is a waste of money it was fun for maybe 2 days then it got boring.
  10. DEXTERITY macrumors 6502a

Aug 14, 2004
    a lot of people didn't mention Castlevania (the reviews were great and the game is fun).
  11. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    I haven't played the DS Castlevania game, but all of the GBA Castlevania games were great, so I'm sure this one is too.
  12. ijimk macrumors 6502a

Jun 17, 2004
    I am asking for both these for christmas :)
  13. jdechko thread starter macrumors 68040

Jul 1, 2004
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Like I said, I definitely know I'll be getting MarioKart. It was great. I played it for about 15 min at Target yesterday before my wife said we had to leave. I think that I will get WarioWare soon thereafter. I don't have a ton of time to play games right now, so just playing a quick game would be great for me.

One other thing. Has anyone played Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory for the DS. I love the series, and I'm just wondering how it plays on the DS.

14. cubist macrumors 68020

Jul 4, 2002
    Muncie, Indiana
    Meteos - I have not been able to get any other carts into my DS since I've had it. Incredibly addictive, tetris-like, but with all kinds of variations in graphics, music, colors, etc.

Agree with comments on Advance Wars DS, it gets very difficult in later levels, but it's pretty fun nonetheless.

People are liking Animal Crossing WW (on DS). This is one of those open-ended, never-win games like The Sims and Nintendogs. If you like that kind of thing, which I don't, go ahead.

Hey, anyone have Need for Speed Most Wanted? I hate locked cars & tracks, I have Asphalt but don't like it, the best cars are locked and I can't win any races at all. I'm hoping NFSMW will be better, but nobody seems to have played it.

Age of Kings is coming out early 2006, looks like it might be pretty good.
  15. Xenious macrumors 6502a

Mar 22, 2004
    Texas, USA
    Mario Kart DS (racing) - You mentioned this but I wanted to add info for others. I am a big racing fan, but I had never played Mario Kart up to this point. I wasn't sure how I would feel about the focus that tilts towards items and not just plain racing, but it is terrific fun. If you are any type of racing game fan at all you will enjoy this one. The wireless and Internet play on this one are fantastic!

Nintendogs (life sim) - As a sick tamagotchi fan I had to check this one out. You need to be into life sims or at least a dog fan. It can be a hassle to turn on and feed/water/play with your dog every day (be sure you have some time to allocate), but it is fun. The basic premise is that you get a dog (or more) and teach it tricks, enter contests, feed it, etc. Winning contests gets you $$ and doing things in the game gets you more trainer points. The more trainer points you get the more goodies are unlocked. You can swap items wirelessly with your friends by having your dogs visit them.

Sonic Rush (side scroller) - If you are a Sonic fan of the old skool series (lots of fast zipping along and ring gathering) you will love this one. This is pure classic Sonic with a bit of a twist. The boss battles are in pseudo 3d and there are special 3d bonus levels that you control with the touch pad. Sonic fans will not be disappointed.

Those are the ones I currently have. Below are ones I plan on getting or have on order.

Castlevania DS (side scroller) - Lots of classic Castlevania fun. Basically you walk through areas and kill monsters to achieve the end quest. (yea I told you I didn't have it yet ahha) From what I've seen if you enjoyed any of the 2d Castlevania games you will like this.

Advance Wars DS (turn based combat) - A fun strategy game. The action is turn based and revolves around moving different units on a battle field to achieve a combat goal.
  16. jdechko thread starter macrumors 68040

Jul 1, 2004
    I think I will at least check out WarioWare, Animal Crossing and Advance Wars. I never got into Tony Hawk, so the Sk8land game probably isn't up my alley.

Also, I had one more quick question, can you connect the DS to the cube via the link cable? It's not really an issue, but I'm wondering if I can use it for Final Fantasy or Zelda or Splinter Cell.
  17. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    nope. the DS has no link cables and the GC has no wireless (barring the WaveBird)
  18. NinjaMonkey macrumors regular

Nov 19, 2003
    I love all the games I've bought for my DS so far, here's the list:

Mario 64x4: The only problem I have with this game is that it took me a while to get used to using the touch screen as a controller. Classic game though and a must play.

Zoo Keeper: Almost exactly like Bejeweled with a few twists, you can pick this up pretty cheap and can entertain you for hours.

Meteos: Another great puzzle game on the DS. Very very addicting and will keep you hooked with all the unlockables.

Nintendogs: Fun game, but not for everyone. I like it but eventually got bored with it. It uses the DS to great potential so it is worth picking up.

Mario Kart: This game is great, no need to say anything else.

Metroid Prime Pinball: This game got me hooked. Probably one of the best video pinball games.

Mario & Luigi 2: This is a must have, a great fun to play RPG. Also pick up the original GBA game if you don't have it

Animal Crossing WW: Open ended gameplay and online enabled make this a great community based game. There is always something to do in Animal Crossing. Even if you get bored with it eventually, a month or so down the road I guarentee you'll pick it up to play again.

There's a few other DS games I've heard are great that I want to pick up they include: Phoenix Wright, Advance Wars 2 and Castlevania.
  19. louis_sx macrumors regular

Jul 6, 2005
    International House of Louis
    I got hooked hardcore on Mario 64's bomb game (whose name escapes me...where you're the toadstool guys using a slingshot to throw cannonballs at falling bob-ombs parachuting from an airship) for a long time. That alone makes it worth picking up, and it's better than the actual game.
  20. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004

HERESY! A slingshot game better than Mario 64, considered the greatest platformer of all time? :eek:
  21. PharmD macrumors 6502

Aug 2, 2005
    Oregon Coast
    Mario & Luigi 2 is great.

Castlevania DS is awesome.

Mario Kart of course.