Games for my mac and substory of my loss

Discussion in 'Games' started by vgame64, Feb 17, 2006.

1. vgame64, Feb 17, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2011

vgame64 macrumors newbie

Thanks all for the help, I ended up playing a lot of Starcraft and had a great time.

2. The Truth macrumors regular

That may be the saddest story I've heard all week. What kind of games were you after?

3. vgame64 thread starter macrumors newbie

Anything that is slightly 3d and that'd take my mind off school. I enjoy first person shooters...racing games...adventure, etc. It'd be nice if demos existed for these games...

4. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

I dont know how well it will run but american mcgees alice is an amazing game and its effing freaky as balls!

5. Seasought macrumors 65816

Seasought

It's moments like this where I wish I were ridiculously rich so I could buy you a new Mac on the spot and ship it to you. :(

If you do get another Mac, I suggest a portable that you carry with you everwhere. I also recommend getting additional locks installed on your dorm door.

Hate to hear this story, may the fires of Hell consume the thief that stole your things.

6. vgame64 thread starter macrumors newbie

7. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

8. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

To put it mildly. I think with that many thousands of $$$ worth of ultra high-end Mac stuff...in a dorm...with a roommate who leaves the door unlocked...insurance wouldn't be such a bad idea. (Just to be pedantic...not that it makes you feel any better, but the G5 is actually derived from Power4, not Power5. I find it highly ironic that Intel is now on a low-power, multi-core binge and meanwhile IBM is cranking up the GHz for Power6...it's backwards land, where everything is all crazy and backwards!)

--Eric

9. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

10. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

yo, if your parents have homeowner's insurance, it may cover your computer being stolen...

I used to play the original unreal tournament on my G3 233mhz with an upgraded video card. That was fun and it ran just acceptably on minimum settings. I'm sure your iMac would handle it well.

11. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

You didn't mention RTS games, but Starcraft is an exceptional game. Also, Diablo II is very addictive, and w/ the expansion pack enough people still play online to make it worthwhile (same with Starcraft). Unreal Tournament as was mentioned above is pretty good, there's a mod for it called "TacOps" that's basically a counterstrike ripoff if you're into that, though it's hard to say if anyone still plays TacOps... Sorry about your stuff, too... My freshman year I had a G5 (later sold it and got my iBook) and I had it locked to my desk, plus I had a CRT monitor, always left my dorm room door open... I was pretty shocked to hear your whole system got stolen in such a small window of time, unbelievable, really. Someone was probably watching you. Sucks. :(

12. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

That's true, you should look into that. Home owners insurance is funny in the way it follows you around [outside the home] sometimes... Since you are a student, I bet that your legal address is still at your folks home, so I would ask them for their agents phone number and policy number and give them a call.

Also, don't forget to file a police report and report the computer stolen with Apple. If someone takes it to Apple for repair and the SN comes up as stolen they will get it back you (assuming you have the police report to verify it was indeed stolen, etc).

13. vgame64 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the game suggestions...I am going to try Starcraft, Unreal Tourney, and alice!

14. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

Beautiful choices. Once you get the hang of Starcraft I would highly recommend playing it online - that's where the real fun is. Though, a disclaimer: due to its age most of the people who still play online are seasoned veterans, competition can be rough.