GAMES for the mac?

Discussion in 'Games' started by dark.deadpool, Jan 3, 2006.

1. dark.deadpool macrumors newbie

Nov 24, 2005
    Hey, I wanted to get a game or 2 for my mac so my little cousin can play when he coimes over. He likes games like age of empire and warcraft... I was wondering if these games are available for macs?
  2. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

Jun 15, 2005
    Yes and yes. Try looking at the software section of the online Apple Store or for more games.
  3. mkluskens macrumors newbie

Oct 21, 2003

All the Warcraft (and Starcraft) titles are dual platform in one box. So if you have any Warcraft or Starcraft for Windows you aready have it for the Mac.

But given those are older games you need to install "Classic" if you have OS X. "Classic" is OS X 9.2.2 but slightly modified to run under OS X, not is not an emulator, it's sort of a compatilibity layer.

A few old games don't work on newer versions of Classic, for example Alpha Centauri and Alien Crossfire freeze at the save screen under Classic under OS X 10.3.x but were fine under OS X 10.2.x.
  4. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Dec 9, 2004
    Starcraft has a native OS X version, Warcraft III was always OS X. Only Warcraft I + II would need Classic, not sure if they actually work with Classic though. Also the earlier Starcraft discs aren't dual-platform, so if you already have Starcraft it's possible they don't work with Macs. Not sure if that happened with Warcraft or not.

(Also, Alpha Centauri works fine with 10.3.x. I was playing it a lot earlier this year and never had it freeze....)

5. mkluskens macrumors newbie

Oct 21, 2003
    OS X Starcraft in new boxes / correction on Alpha Centauri

The new Starcraft Battlechest boxes contain CD's with two Mac installers - OS 7/8/9 and OS X).

If you have old CD's it's very important to get the OS X Starcraft update, the old version of Starcraft does not work very well under Classic -- might have been only a multiplayer problem joining games.

Also, an OS X version of Alien Crossfire is available, a few people have so you have to ask (you still need the full version).

Correction: under OS X 10.3.x and OS 10.4.3, Alpha Centauri, version 1.5.2 and Alien Crossfire 1.2.1, saving the game freezes it on one of my two machines I tested today, it has a Nvidia card and they worked fine in OS X 10.2. I suspect the Nvidia graphics card because it also messes up Descent 3 (a known and documented problem), on that machine Descent 3 only works in OS X 9.2.1 (as documented on the web).

DrawSocketLib is version 1.7.7 on one machine and DrawSocketLib 1.7.8 on the other machine--Apple does not seem to be updating Classic evenly on my machines.

Side note: I'm looking for games that play on OS X 7.6.1 without a CD drive (I got an old Duo 230c I picked up cheap--Nethack and Escape Velocity are on there now, I used to play Spaceward Ho and SimLife on it but got bored with them). Keyboard is not so good, G & H amoung other keys are almost unusable sor Escape Velocity is basically not playable. Nethack with the mouse and pounding on the keyboard works mostly.