Games on a LAN

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by JzzTrump22, Jul 9, 2004.

1. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Ok, let me explain the situation.
    I installed warcraft 3 on my PB and made a disk image so i don't have to insert the disk to play. Then i went to my PC and installed the game. Now I want to try and get a LAN game going over my network. Is this possible? if it is, how do i do it? i've been trying for the past hour.

2. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

3. adt macrumors member

What seems to be the problem here? specifics are good.

As far as I know, cd keys don't have to be unique, so yeh, this should work. A few points:

* make sure your pc and mac are networked nicely to begin with. (both systems should have ip addresses of 192.168.0.x) to test,
    osx; cntrl-k on your hard drive icon and connect to smb://computername
    pc; internet explorer type \\computername\computername

* disable all firewalls. yes that means zonealarm on pc, and osx firewall

* you must mount the disk image with TOAST or similar hardcore dedicated mounter; disk utility for osx doesn't do it very nicely, in my experience. (heheh, i just said 'hardcore dedicated mounter')

* ensure game versions are the same (i think 1.14 is the latest?) on both systems [bottom-right corner of the wc3 menu], and that game port number is the same [advanced settings menu somewhere].

* create the game on the pc, and join from the mac. in my experience, when things aren't working, the intialisation being done from the pc makes a difference. goddamn i hate these inexplicable bugs. could be osx firewall, could be game glitches, could be....

4. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

I lost you after the first sentence, lol. I have no idea what or how to do any of that. I'm new to mac so most of this makes absolutly no sense. Sorry.

5. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

connect the computers

Just connect the computers over a network. Either a network cord plug right from the mac into the pc, or use a router, or hub.
    mac -> pc
    mac -> router -> pc
    mac -> hub ->pc

Just connect them and have one of the computers run a server to play against eachother.

6. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

I have a router that i use to connect my mac and PC to the internet.

7. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

Before we troubleshoot WC3, can you see the Mac or PC from the other machine? On the Mac you would set up sharing in the system preference pane. Lets make sure we have a valid connection between the machines at the OS level.

I will assume you CAN see one another. Then you launch WC3 and host from the PC and Join with the Mac. You will need to find the IP address of the PC, which the above post told you how to find.

If the Mac and PC do not see each other on the network, then we need to trouble shoot why. A hub or router should do the trick. Make sure you have the proper settings for your brand of router. Sometimes they have firewalls and ports are blocked, although since both machines are behind the firewall it should not be an issue.

Make sure you are not connecting the two machines from different sides of the firewall. For example, PC to router to cable/DSL and Mac is on dialup connecting to the PC. That won; work well.

8. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

I can see the PC from the Mac if i go the "GO" option at the top of the desktop and then Network. But i cannot see the mac from the pc if i go onto network neighborhood. They are both connected to the same router.

9. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

Ok, then host the game from the PC and Join via the Mac.

Also, make sure BOTH WC3 are FULLY up to date from BNET. They must be the same version on both platforms (or the latest version)

Good Luck.

10. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

I just got the game and updated on battle net on both machines.

11. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

Mabey it's when i'm in the game and am not doing something correctly. I go to the PC and go on the LAN play. I create a game and name it something. Then i go back to my mac and then what do i do?

12. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Just saw this thread. A few points, then I'm off to eat:

(1) Just double-clicking on the .dmg file you created (as per last night's thread) is enough to start WCIII on the Mac. No need for Toast or whatever. Just double-click it.

(2) Make sure port 6112 (the default, unless you've changed it) is open your Mac (and, if applicable, PC) firewall.

(3) Assuming the rest of this thread is up-to-date, then, once you start the game on the PC, you should be able to see and join it from the Mac. Blizzard might have inserted something to verify unique serial numbers, and that might be why you can't see it. But verify that port 6112 is open first.

13. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

PS. Do you know anyone with the game? Could you borrow a serial number or have them try to join? I know there's no inherent problem with Macs and PCs on a LAN playing, since I did that when I went out to visit my brother. We each had our own copies, though, and perhaps that's the issue. I don't know... I thought a single serial number worked within a LAN, but that might have changed.

14. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

15. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Can't a guy get a bite to eat? ;)

System Preferences->Sharing->Firewall->New, then

Port Name: Other
    Port Numberm Range or Series: 6112
    Description: WarCraft III

16. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks, i didn't have that on, that was the first time i ever did that. Hopefully it works.

17. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you very much jsw. You have just solved my problem. Thanks!

18. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw