Games on a LAN

Discussion in 'Games' started by JzzTrump22, Jul 9, 2004.

1. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Ok, let me explain the situation.
    I installed warcraft 3 on my PB and made a disk image so i don't have to insert the disk to play. Then i went to my PC and installed the game. Now I want to try and get a LAN game going over my network. Is this possible? if it is, how do i do it? i've been trying for the past hour.

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

3. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

you should just be able to start up a lan game, and see the other computer, assuming you're connect to it through the router... I know it's worked for me. Oh, and CD codes being the same only matters on battlenet. For lan games every computer could have the same cd key

4. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

The first thing you should do (after connecting them togather [remember routers are not hubs]) is load the game and see if the PC sees the mac and vise versa. if they don't, see what options of multiplayer lan you have in warcraft3. On my laptop (800mhz PB) it only let's me use 'UDP'. If this is the case just make sure that your PC has a UDP client. If you show something else other than UDP, just install that specific client on the PC.

Also, if your two computers are connected with one cable over ethernet, make sure it's a crossover cable. Hope this helps

5. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

6. Ninja_Turtle macrumors 6502

party

did you connect the computers by any chance to each other???...that might be the problem...

7. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

The mac is in my room and the PC is in a differfent room where it is right next to the router. Each computer has its own port in the router (4 port router made by Linksys the model # is BEFSR41). Both computers have the same version of warcraft on them. The only difference is, is that i have an image of the cd on my mac so i don't need to use the cd to run it. The pc needs the cd to run it because i didn't make an image of the disk. I can see the PC from my mac if i go to "GO" at the top of the desktop. But i can't see the mac from the PC if i go to netwrk neighborhood.

I'm new to mac so doing all this stuff is a little confusing. Could someone walk me through it step by step.

8. osprey76 macrumors 6502

First, if you haven't already, make a disk image on the Mac.

Two, load the image so it shows up as a volume (it will likely look exactly like the original disk.) Note that you can skip the checksum step, it takes a bit of time and is unnecessary since you just want the computer to see the image and don't really care about data integrity.

Three, put the actual disk in the PC.

Four, fire up WarCraft on both computers.

Five, host a game on one of the computers and look for it on the other machine.

Six, if you see the hosted game, connect and play. If not, see the next step.

Seven, come back to the boards and ask for help if that doesn't work. We could get into all of the what-if's, but that should work for you. If not, we'll troubleshoot from there.

9. osprey76 macrumors 6502

You actually don't need a crossover cable with modern Macs. If your Mac is newer than 2001, then your Ethernet port is auto-sensing and will invert itself to align with whatever it's connected to.

More details from Apple.

This came up in another thread recently and thought it was interesting. I have a Gigabit machine and wasn't sure if they were auto-sensing or not. I probably used a crossover cable with it, once upon a time.

10. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

How do i search for games on the LAN, it doesn't have option to search for games. I already went on the game on both machines at the same time. I created a game on the pc. How do i find it from the mac? I'm sure this is a simple problem and i'm probably not seeing something.

11. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

I found out how to do it. I just had to enable the port 6112. I'm good to go. Thanks for all the help!