Games that DO run on the macbook

Discussion in 'Games' started by hdsalinas, Nov 27, 2006.

1. hdsalinas macrumors 6502

Aug 28, 2006
    San Pedro Sula, Honduras
    Hi, as a potential macbook owner, I would like to see a list somewhere of the games that DO run on it.

I am not going to use it for games much but it would be great to play a few once in a while.

Will it play games like Age of Empires III, Battlefield 2, need for speed, Flight Sim X?

If there is a list already, would you be kind to post a link. thanks.

I feel that a list like this should be made into a stickie.
  2. quigleybc macrumors 68030

Jun 17, 2005
    Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    I would also like a list like that. as a potential macbook owner. Stickies are good. searching is too hard on me brain.
  3. e12a macrumors 68000

Oct 28, 2006
    Its a safe bet to say all of those games you mentioned will NOT run on a macbook...or run at a playable fps at least.

you might have a fighting chance if you set a really low resolution and turn everything down.
  4. hdsalinas thread starter macrumors 6502

Aug 28, 2006
    San Pedro Sula, Honduras
    the macbook is just perfect for me but the lack of a true 3D graphic card makes the decision really hard. Upgrading to a MBP would be like upgrading the video card for $700 - is just too much (I know it has other advantages, but I can live without them.)

There should be an option.
  5. KipCoon macrumors regular

Aug 23, 2000
    With max'd out ram, my friend ran WoW on there pretty well, he claims, not sure the resolution setting but it seemed to work. But I have no idea how intense the requirements are for it in comparison to the other games on this thread...
  6. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

Oct 14, 2005
    While I agree with you that there should be an upgrade for a video card, that is one of the options that distances the MBP from the MB. I also believe that there should be options that include FW800, backlit keyboard, etc...but then I might as well buy a MBP...
  7. Big Boss Man macrumors regular

Oct 27, 2006
    MB is never going to be a gaming machine nor is it going to have options to upgrade to features available on a MBP. There has to be some distinction between the two otherwise they will not be able to sell any MBPs.
  8. ichii macrumors 6502

Sep 20, 2006
    I can run Age of Empire III on my Macbook, with everything set on low. It runs fine except when there is heavy action like firing off a lot of cannons. I think more ram could help. I'm running using bootcamp on windows.
  9. 66217 Guest

Jan 30, 2006
    Age of Empires III would run fine with more RAM (at least 1gb).

I've played Sim City 4, The Sims 2, Roller Coaster Tycoon 3, and some other old games I have. I am not into gaming a lot, so I really don't care that much about integrated graphics.

But Battlefield 2 would definitely NOT run on a MB, not even in the lowest settings.

And I have read that for playing Flight Simulator X you need a very good PC, but also that you con play it at very low graphic setting and it would run (but it woudl seem to be Fligh Simulator 95:) ) Not even the best MBP would be able tu run this game at high setting. Not sure about the Mac Pro.
  10. risc macrumors 68030

Jul 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
  11. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Jul 12, 2004
    Age of Empires III, with proper ram, should run okay
  12. blahbrah macrumors regular

Nov 9, 2006
    Homeworld 2 works so far. Gets a little slow if there's too many ships up close.
  13. j26 macrumors 65832

Mar 30, 2005
    I tried Rise of Nations Gold last night and it ran fine on a cd 2.0 MacBook with 1.25g ram output to a 1440x900 external monitor (at that resolution - 16 bit colour I think), even moving large numbers of troops.

Until the whole thing just disappeared on me in the middle of a game :mad:
    Ill try again some evening soon and see if that happens again.
  14. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Jun 29, 2006
    I own it. Runs decent, but you have to turn the options down. And by decent I mean it's smooth, without the jerkiness and stuff. This is also on 512 Mb of RAM.