Games that run in VirtualPC 7...

Discussion in 'Games' started by JeDiBoYTJ, Feb 10, 2005.

1. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

I have a Windows 2000 Machine emulated with VirtualPC 7, on a 1.5ghz Powerbook (full specs in sig), and for the fun of it, I decided to see if a couple of my older games worked. Ive only had the time to test a couple, but here is what I found worked:

===========================
    (Games Ive Tested)

Games that work GREAT
    Original Grand Theft Auto
    Star Wars: Jedi Knight Dark Forces II
    Star Wars: Jedi Knight Mysteries of the Sith

Games that run 'ok'
    Age of Empires II

Games that crash/dont run at all
    Grand Theft Auto 2

Games I have not tested, but are said to work
    Roller Coaster Tycoon 1 and 2
    Heroes of Might and Magic I and II

============================

If you play any games in VPC, let everyone know here! figure i'd start this thread for the fun of it, lets see what we can get out of VPC, lol :p

2. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

It doesn't support 3D graphics as far as I know.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

JK1 works? Wow, I'll have to dust off my old CDs tonight :)

On my G4 (specs in profile), Final Fantasy 7 *just* works in VPC6 (but it's too slow in 7).

4. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

VPC 6 on a 1.33 GHz PowerBook, 768MB of RAM
    Win98SE in DOS mode
    I get over 1,000 fps

Beat that!

5. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I'd be surprised if solitaire ran on my VPC 7... it's so slow that I had to turn off graphics options just to use a web browser without a typing delay (lag when you type a letter).

6. JeDiBoYTJ thread starter macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

well, Jedi Knight Dark Forces II is a full 3D game that uses DirectX... I was really surprised when I got that installed and working, at a great framerate too! its a bit older game (1997ish), but the graphics are still not too shabby for a '97 game... I remember playing this game online on my old Pentium1 200mhz :p

gonna go dust off a few more of my old CDs and download a few old demos and such. :D

7. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Don't even waste your time trying to play games in VPC.

8. JeDiBoYTJ thread starter macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

well I am wasting my time, and its going great ;)

9. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

If the guy's getting decent results, let the man have his fun. Don't be a party pooper...

10. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

I played through all of Heroes of Might and Magic I and II using VPC. It was a tad slow, but worked pretty well.

11. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Too bad it can't run even 2003 games. I would love to play AoM: The Titans. But still, nothing is wrong with playing some classics.

12. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502

13. JeDiBoYTJ thread starter macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

I just got Age of Empires II: The Conqueror's Expansion installed and running. slightly choppy, but playable to an extent...

i'll test GTA2 now.

14. JeDiBoYTJ thread starter macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

GTA2 - "No Suitable Graphics Card Found", then crashes to desktop. :(

15. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Well, on my nearly 4 year old, TiBook 500, with 768, and only 128 deticated to Win2K, in VPC7, I run Roller Coaster Tycoon, and RCT2 with only some minor problems in scrolling, and sound, but no worse than on my old 500mhz K6-2, or my 6x86mx.

TEG

16. cyanide macrumors regular

cyanide

doom3

i am an admin at Virginia Tech and at the main terminal i can run doom 3 in virtual pc with 8 gigs of dedicated ram. its phenomenal. i also know steve jobs personally, and have a pet loch ness monster. welp, off to drink kryptonite shakes to build up my immunity....

17. GonzoRob macrumors 6502

GonzoRob

was funny the first time :)

18. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

lol that was my thoughts as well good ol solitaire , i used to run VPC 6 and gave up long ago and i just use VNC now and hook into my mrs PC to run win apps (but not that oftern though)

19. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

20. cubist macrumors 68020

Ha ha and all that, but if you haven't tried VPC, don't knock it. I was very surprised at how well things worked in VPC6, so I got VPC7 for my G5. I can do my day job work in a W2K VPC perfectly - it connects to the VPN, runs Outlook, VC6, etc. W2K runs very smoothly.

So recently I created several more VPCs to try several different Linuxes. I've got SuSE 9.1 Personal and Lindows 4.5 so far. They run slowly, but well. For some reason, none of them detect the "sound card", but everything else works perfectly.

The neat thing is that I can back these machines up to DVD-R and store them, or move them to another computer if I want. This is a very powerful capability. I'm thinking of getting a more powerful G5 and getting rid of all the other computers.

As for the games, I should think that anything that runs well on a 200MHz PC should run fine. What you can do is create an "empty" W98 or W2K machine and back it up, then install a game. If it doesn't work, trash the VPC and reload the "empty" VPC again.

21. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

I "USED" to play Cossacks on my G4 Cube (stock 450Mhz) with VPC 6/98SE - and got a STUNNING 8fps from it...

Bah!

Still - it was enough to see the pretty pictures, though...

I'd love to see Microsoft FINALLY implement FULL DirectX support through Mac video cards - that'll boost framerates NO end, and we'll finally be able to play the latest games off the shelf!

:D

22. JeDiBoYTJ thread starter macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

Got "Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith" running beautifuly at 800x600 :p (Companion pack for Jedi Knight)

23. benpatient macrumors 68000

just want to point out that Jedi Knight has software rendering mode, also. You're not seeing the DX version of the game...not that it really matters much in 2005...My PC gets like 500 fps in that game at 1600x1200x32bit color.

something stupid-fast like that.

So I would hope that a G5 running VPC could manage to get 5% of that speed at 1/2 the resolution...

24. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

Suse 9.0 can't drive the sound card in my PIII either-- so you're getting the full experience there.

25. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

Has any one tried to get Pharoh to run in VPC if that game runs that would be a great insentive for me to go out and buy VPC