Games That Shocked You As a Kid..

Discussion in 'Games' started by 2nyRiggz, Jan 21, 2006.

1. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

The game that i was amazed to see was TimeKillers....this game had eight characters from different time periods and they were cutting off each other limbs and other body parts......I thought MK was bad but then this came along. I always liked playing with the dude with the chainsaw.

Bless

2. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I don't think I was ever shocked by any game. Yea... I really can't think of any. What's there to be shocked about.

3. steelfist macrumors 6502a

the game that shocked me was when i saw my friends playing grand theft auto 3 for the first time, they were causing chaos by beating every person to death with a bat, shoting the prostitutes they just used, used flatbeds to tear through the whole road of cars, hijacking any car they want, and a lot more stuff.

otherwise, nothing else really shocked me. child innocence has been getting more and more less nowdays. millions of elementry kids have seen murder, and sex on tv nowdays. kinda scary if you think about it.

4. reberto macrumors 65816

reberto

I was shocked at Tomb Raider 1. It looked so good for its time (I played it on a now VERY old Pentium 1 system)

5. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

I was kind of toying with starting a similar thread.

I recently exhumed my N64 to remind myself how good some of the games were, and one of them I was playing was Perfect Dark. I noticed that it had an 18 rating certificate (not sure what the US equivalent would be - R? NC-17?).

There is no bad language, very few blood effects, and granted that it's an FPS, the violence doesn't seem over the top.

Compare this to GTA:San Andreas, which has the same rating over here, with its casual violence, drugs, prostitution etc, it's amazing how standards have changed.

6. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Well when I was 7 I layed my hands in Wolfenstein 3D. Man, I was shocked! I liked to play this game very much, and I couldn't stop playing it, but at the same time I was afraid to confront the baddies... Kind of funny if you think about it.

For some reason, Doom never scared me so much.

7. crachoar macrumors 6502a

8. risc macrumors 68030

risc

HAHA! Well done! That game sucked ass! God bless you Atari!

9. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

I dunno about games, but EA scares me. How can one company release so many poor games! Now that is shocking!

10. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

11. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

For me it was DOOM 64 on the N64. That scared the hell out of me!:eek:

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It wasn't until a few years ago (when I was about 17) that a game scared me. I played through Doom 1 without cheats for the first time ever, got onto the bloody Cyberdemon in Episode 2 and wow. my whole body actually felt a real fear for this monster.

13. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Pong. What with being born in 1961, I'd never seen anything like it before.
    Candyland would be a close 2nd, though.:p

14. Schmittroth macrumors regular

Schmittroth

The first time we installed the speach packs for Wing Commander after we had just gotten our first Sound Blaster! This marks the first time we'd heard real profanity in an actual voice in a game. We had this moment of "Did we just hear that?" And then it got overplayed like every early voice sound sample. I think Wing Commander was the last time a game really blew me away, talk about a leap forward.

15. Lincoln 6 Echo macrumors member

^ lol yup, me too with Wolfenstein 3D. Doom series wasn't as scary.

Also, Leisure Suit Larry 1, good shock(??).

16. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

17. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

N.A.R.C. for NES. If you had the shotgun you'd blow the bad guys up into little bloody pieces that bounced around. :eek:

My intro into gore.

18. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

7th Guest. More of a "wow, my computer can do THAT" shock than anything else. I remember I thought the graphics were the best I've seen.

Nothing else has made me feel like that. I went to an internet cafe to try out Half Life 2, and it made me think "wow, its half life 1 with more polygons and larger textures"

I wonder if there's a way to get my old copy of 7th guest to run on mac os x.....

19. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

Timekillers was really violent. I remember playing that and watching people's twitching limbs on the floor. But as far as the one that shocked me, it has to be the original mortal kombat. The first time i saw it, I saw someone pull someone's head off as Sub Zero and I thought it was awesome, but I had never seen that kind of REAL violence. Timekillers was cartoony, but those characters looked real. Really cool.

20. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

I would have to say warcraft 2 cuz of the indepth story or system shock cuz i almost literally **** myself, scary stuff!

21. Miguey macrumors 6502

final fantasy VII, it was so shocking and amazing..especially the storyline was so intriguing...graphics were good for 1997 also..

22. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

Doom 95 really scared me.
    Heck, all the Dooms scared me, oh and also Wolfenstein now that game was awesome.
    GTA just made me go WTF?

23. mrfrosty macrumors 6502

You people are making me feel old........How about forbidden forest on the c64. Man, that music was scary !

24. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Oh god I had alomost forgotten forbidden forest :eek:

I dont think any game made me jump as much as the first resident evil. The very first time the hounds jump through the window was the scene that 'shocked' me..

Of course many games are 'shocking' because they are so piss poor...
    ET on the Atari VCS, Transformers on the C64 etc....

25. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Conquer's Bad Fur Day for the N64...

Conquer, the little cute squirrel, suddenly wakes up with a hangover next to hookers... :mad: