Games to play on the airplane

Discussion in 'Games' started by anotherjeff, Apr 14, 2005.

1. anotherjeff macrumors regular

anotherjeff

I got a long flight in my future and I was wondering about good games to play to pass the time.

I might watch a movie but I'm concerned about the battery life of my PB (stats below).

I've got Halo (no mouse for this plane ride) and CivIII. I also have the usual classics like pacman, solitaire, joust, glider, etc. I'm looking for something new.

2. MemphisSoulStew macrumors regular

I like Pocket Tanks - no mouse required, shouldn't drain the battery too much, very addictive.

3. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Not a game as such and although you can do them on your Powerbook, they're a very useful paper back up when you get low on battery.

Nonagrams and Su Doku (both Japanese logic puzzles) kept me sane while on jury duty. Nonagrams create pictures on a grid by telling you that x blocks on the row/column should be coloured. You use logic to figure out which ones - there are also more complex colour versions around.

Su Doku can be deceptively simple. You have to fit the characters 1-9 into each row and column of a 9x9 grid making sure that each only appears once in each column/row. In addition, they can only appear once in each sub 3x3 square... you can get an example of Su Doku on the Times site.

5. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

How about the "see how many times you can page the air hostess before she screams at you" game? :)

6. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

If you could get Chu Chu Rocket on a mac i'd say you HAVE to play that on the plane! I've lost many many hours playing that game. I did see a japanese flash version of it on some webiste, cant remember where :(

damn i wish i'd save that link and the .swf :(

7. anotherjeff thread starter macrumors regular

anotherjeff

Geez I hope you paid a little attention to the trial as it was going on.

8. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

I really wouldn't recommend playing games on the powerbook. Doing so will cause the battery to die fairly quickly. If you have an extra battery then i uguess you could go for it. Railroad tycoon 3 is fun. I also play tetris a lot because it's a fun game and it helps kill time. Also tetris doesn't eat away at the battery like crazy.

9. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

I cast my vote for pocket tanks deluxe. I wish they had online play.

10. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

The only problem with the extra battery is you can't hot swap them in the 12".

11. iGary Guest

iGary

I usually end up playing the plug in the iPod, fall asleep, snore and annoy the entire cabin game. :)

12. dxp4acu macrumors regular

I can't fly on an airplane without playing at least 1 game of Tecmo Super Bowl. Ever since I got my first PB 6 years ago, this has been the 1 law.

Use RockNES. It rocks!!

13. Dyaus macrumors member

http://www2.sega.co.jp/sw/chu2/main_3.html. Enjoy :)

14. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

cast my vote for this game too

the deluxe version id worth it too :-D

15. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

Well seeing as no one has said it yet I say go with Escape Velocity Nova, Among the best mac games ever made. You can find it at: www.ambrosiasw.com/games/evn

In fact just about any game on that site would be good for a long flight.

16. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

17. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Here's my FAVORITE game to play on airplanes:

After the plane lands and has just finished taxiing to the gate, but BEFORE the fasten-seatbelt light goes off, press the stewardess call button.
    On some planes, the sound it makes is really similar to the sound that happens when the fasten-seatbelt light goes off, and you can get a bunch of people to stand up early.

Just be sure to turn off the call button right away so they don't know it's you.

18. stutz macrumors member

Whatever you do make sure you don't pick some game that needs a CD inserted when playing (kills battery life of course). Maybe you can make a CD disk image to compensate for those. Also be sure to turn down that screen brightness. And if check to see if first class has power outlets. Maybe you can bribe a 1st class cabin passenger with the complimentary snack mix or a candy bar to let you plug your powerbook in for a bit to recharge the battery. And if you have a connection you might be able to plug it into an outlet near the flight gate.

My game suggestion is Civ III out of the ones you have. Thinktanks would be pretty good to have.

19. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

If you've never played Deus Ex, it's a pretty immersive game, you get kind lost in its story, or, at least I did. Anyways, being immersed in Deus Ex would be how I would pass the time. Only runs in OS 9/Classic. Probably will drain the battery... Kind of outdated, but hey, I love it still.

20. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Erm, if you call them "air hostess" you can probably win on the first round.

Pocket Tanks is good, or maybe Island Mini Golf? Tank-o-box is also a pretty good one. There's always MAME, which will let you take zillions of games with you :cool:

21. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

22. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Yeah what you gotta do first is press the mouse button when it says "PRESS MOUSE BUTTON", which you proabbyl guessed :D

Then you click on a number to choose that level. Levels you've completed have a tick thru them. What you gotta do is use a directional tile to send the mice into the blue round tiles. Once you chosen where you want your direction tile hit enter and the mice will start moving, and hopefully head straight for the blue circle.

If you make a mistake either hit the space bar or click on the direction tile. Once you have more than one direction tile to play with clicking on a currently placed one will change the direction of the tile. Hit the space key to delete the last placed direction tile. Keep hitting the space key to get back to the menu screen.

At the menu screen (where all the numbers are show) if you press the D key it'll take you to another screen where you can select even more mazes. Its unbelievable how many mazes you get with this game!

Once you start playing you can work out how a mouse will act when it hits a wall or a direction tile and you can use that to your advantage to win the game...

Easy :D

23. TheGimp macrumors 6502

Lumines and Mercury are both great puzzle games that will surely pass the time.

24. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

omg i LOVE this game, its so addictive, i registered it, and i have EVERY weapon pack that there is....i have a highly addictive personality and it scares me to think wat i'll be like when i'm old enuff to drink :eek: