GamesMaster and what happened to gaming

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dagless, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Quickly now; I'm up at my aunt and uncles place in the hills, they have double the broadband speed I normally get (which is diluted through 4 other users) so I was browsing my fave UK TV torrent site and found Games Master, series 2 episode 1. I came over all nostalgic and downloaded ASAP. I swear, I could have streamed this video! Down in 15 minutes.
    So I started watching it. Patrick Moore! As some kind of Deus Ex Machina, a man in a diving suit handing out golden joysticks. Ah, memories! And some very ugly people. And a Scottish presenter that I totally forgot about! It was a flood of memories becoming clear again. I mean they previewed Sonic 2 for the Mega Drive, possibly THE best platformer in my little opinion. They said something along the lines of "This will be a great game". hah.

I started to think though. When did gaming become so drab? When did it become all about interactive movies, dull gameplay, when did it become so serious? What happened to game music as godlike as the Turrican series soundtrack and Sonic, Mario and Zelda? Where are these addictive melodies now, drowned out by hollywood-inspired orchestral soundtracks - that's where. Even the original Tomb Raider had that mind-sticking flute melody, soon after those remembered songs have all but vanished from games. When did it become about realism, when did everything have to be so contrived and systematic? Who sucked out the fun?

another, but much smaller point, is that I found a classic GB in this house and spent hours on Tetris 2 (never played it before!) and some F1 game. I never spent time like that on even my DS games without getting a little bit bored.

My question to you is, are you happy with where games are going? Do you feel there is some magic lost from days gone by? Has gaming become less art and more business?

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Dominic Diamond was and remains a bit of an arse, but that's part of the charm :p

He returned with a TV series on Bravo last year.

GamerTV is as best we get when it comes to gaming. Acurate reviews, deviod of frivolus sub-games played by pre-pubescent idiots with IQ's that would make a MORON seem like Stephen Hawking....

It also has Interviews with developers and information on the industry, who's going bankrupt this week etc...

New episode every wednesday on Bravo at 4:30

(Though i notice they've dropped Sam Delaney and the 'next gen' subtitle from new episodes - probably a good thing, he had a face that would make a mother want to smother it with a pillow)

Even crap like Movies,Games & Videos and that pathetic Sky One attempt 'GameOver' should be put into a vault and buried at Sea.

3. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Oh hells yea. In the Games Master episode I have it's got him and some other TV guy having a little banter. oh dear. It's bad. and he kept trying to talk over some Street Fighter champion guy. haha. but I wouldn't want him any other way.

4. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i don't think realism is the problem it's more the asynchronity between "realistic" graphics and everything else
    i have nothing against realistic graphics but making a highly realistic looking game which gameplay is so far from it that it's not even funny ...why bother with super über looking graphics if for example every tank will be destroyed by exactly 3 shoots no matter the angle or type of tank

at least they got the idea to use iron sights in shooters finally and still you shot "from the hips" in most games or have "instant clip refill"

if they make realistic looking games at least put in the options (plural) to make games play more realistic.. they still mostly have to learn those lessons from flight simulators

about "when" i would say after 1998-2000

i don't know if i'm happy .. i hope that with the oncoming of better physics/inputs they will come up with really realistic games instead of the shallow current state which looks fantastic but pretty much plays the same like a few years ago

and not every game should emulate the real world in the first place.. i wan't to play more than the real world .. i like unreal or strange worlds better (i can't stand "the sims") or at least alternate histories etc.

and please EA before you ship games like fifa 06 at least play them once

5. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

The problem with realism in games, as I see it, is that it only makes a game fun if what is being done is actually fun for real.

Realistic driving can work in a game and be fun because driving is fun.

The problem is that a lot of real things are not fun or certain aspects of it make it less fun (or something might be more fun if it could defy realism).

And in general I think it is more fun to defy realism. I think it would be cool if I could fly for real, without a vehicle, but that is totally unrealistic. Super Heroes are unrealistic, etc.

Realism in games is also a self-perpetuating goal. That is, the more real you get, the more real you need to be. You get FPS games that get really close to real, but then you notice how when you shoot an enemy they don't even act like they've been shot... them falling over is your only real sign they were injured.

I recall Valve talking about this, that they deliberately went for a middle ground in realistic characters. They wanted a balance between more 'cartoon'/animated and real, because if you try hard to get real and fall short (as you certaintly will) it looks a lot worse then if you had just formed a style that didn't depend on complete realism.

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within comes to mind, excellent CG, but because it came so close to real, it was easy to tell what wasn't real... we could much easier see what was wrong with it and it distracted from the end result. (Plus the script was pretty much trash, but that's another topic!)

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah it was so real it became super unreal. It's like look at what we can do, but it just emphasizes the soulless and ultimately fake CG. The Polar Express does the same thing. They emphasize each real emotion so heavy handily that it simply emphasizes how unreal it is.

Agree with you too about how making somthing so real in a game, it then become devoid of fun and entertainment and hence entirly fruitless for an entertainment media.

You dont go to see an action movie because it's a real life documentary. In fact movies these days are becoming more about unrealism with the advanced CG worlds.