GameSpy drops Mac support!

Discussion in 'Games' started by Converted2Truth, Dec 7, 2004.

1. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

According to Inside Mac Games and Ryan Gordon, Glenda Adams, and probably others, GameSpy is no longer supporting the Mac, which means no PC vs Mac gaming! They're overpricing the license to intentionally rid themselves of Mac. It's looking like i'll only be playing Men of Valor with a select few of other mac gamers :(

2. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

3. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

Very bad, but maybe this could be an opening for some enterprising company to come fill the void and offer a cross-platform network gaming SDK.

4. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

Problem is that a lot of PC-game producers would not take into account if their future game would be able to play against a possible Mac-port over the internet.

Somehow I fear that, for many games in the future, internet multiplayer will be Mac/Mac or PC/PC.

5. applekid macrumors 68020

GameSpy officially sucks completely. The GameSpy for cross-platform networking was their last good product (minus a few of some of their small websites).

Either GameSpy lowers its prices, we pay a premium for online gaming, or porters scrap the cash to pay for the license now. The future is looking gloom. But IMG adds to do a formal protest. So, let's wait for that first.

6. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Oh crap......

Mac-to-Mac? There goes big multiplayer fun. Maybe if it becomes Mac-to-Mac only Gameranger will fill in. Anyway there goes me playing Halo online....

7. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

Strange decision, since the Mac is getting stronger and stronger these days. One of only two PC companies predicted to increase market share next year.

8. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Funny....when I looked there where still plenty of Halo servers available.

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I don't actually understand this. What is GameSpy? Is it just for finding online games? If so, how would the exclusion of this prevent Mac-to-Windows gaming?

In case you didn't notice, I don't tend to play games online, I just play with friends at LANs :) (or single player)

10. applekid macrumors 68020

GameSpy as in the GameSpy being referred to in this thread is basically a tracker. It downloads a list of all active servers of a particular game. Then, when you want some fun multiplayer action, choose a server that's not full, join the game, and play. GameSpy is used in both PC and Mac games. Halo and MoH are two games I enjoy playing with my PC buddies thanks to GameSpy.

GameSpy is also a huge gaming website that also controls FilePlanet. They're jerks for almost all of their services and sites. Check GameSpy.com and FilePlanet.com to see their lack of quality (try downloading something off of FilePlanet. Have fun waiting).

Anyways, if GameSpy was to be no longer implemented in future games and patches, then you have no ability to connect to those PC games that use GameSpy for finding servers.

pgc600, at the moment, GameSpy service hasn't been cut. Currently only the license is being threatened with a high price. Unfortunately, I believe there has been a Halo update on the PC, and the Mac version may get halted as well. (IMG had a story yesterday saying the patch was on the way, but now that may not happen). If GameSpy decides to say, "Hey, Company A isn't paying the license fee. Time to cut their access to the main GameSpy server," things will not look good for us.

broken_keyboard, I think the license price hike is because of just that. More Mac games being sold probably looks like the Mac game publishers could pay a little more for the GameSpy service, through GameSpy's eyes. Now, if this is the truth, I can see their reasoning, but we haven't grown by leaps and bounds so a price hike is not something we're ready for.

I had an idea if GameSpy doesn't budge: What would you guys think of a $5-$10 price hike on games to cover GameSpy fees for games that use GameSpy? I don't think the number of GameSpy-based games is huge, so a small premium doesn't sound unreasonable, but would that much of a hike just be too much?

11. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Indeed it won't.

12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

13. Mr_Ed macrumors 6502

Better yet, some enterprising coders to reverse engineer whatever gets sent between GameSpy and the games themselves and offer an "open source" alternative that is backward compatible (same API to make it easy for game developers to switch). GameSpy can just shove it up their collective a$$ . . . :mad:

14. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

Ya... that's the kind of solution that Linux users typically have to resort to. Mac users are used to having proper commercial support.

I wish we knew what kind of figures we were talking about here... anyone know? Are we talking about a charge of less than $10 per game? Because I would pay that.

15. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

Well.. most game publishers have big problems with piracy allready. I don't think adding $10 to the cost of a game would help..

16. LoadRunner macrumors member

Umm the only game I know of, that even uses game spy built in , is halo. Onnestly this isn't big news. Almost every company uses their own tracking system. Because it allows them to enforce cd keys. Most fps games are built off of one of these graphic engines. q3a, doom III, unreal, unreal 2003, half life 2. All of these licensed engines come with game tracking/ listing, cd key serving software.
    So licensing from game spy, is redudant and a waist of money. Plus they would be giving game spy a free user base. Some thing most company would charge spy for.

Spy is hurting it self. I think spy realized they're trying to tap a rock with a tooth pick. Most pc user prefer to use the game tracking program "All Seeing Eye." Witch is the pc equivalent to os x's "Only Mortal." For spy to compete they have to match the funtionality of "all seeing eye." And frankly spy haven't, they're not even close to eye.
    Witch is why no one I know uses game spy. pc or mac user, it doesn't matter. The only time i've seen people use spy, is when they're forced to. Witch is far and few between.

The big problem with spy trackers, is any one who list with them gains nothing. In fact the lister loose by listing with spy and only spy. Spy only suplys servuse to a small subset of gamers. To list with them, and only them affectively remove the gamer from 80% of the gaming populous. Making it harder to find players, server, game types player wish to play

So most user of spy, chose to also list their server uner the generic tracker. Witch just damage game spy mebal attempt to dominating the gaming seen. Why use spy. When you can use the generic tracker.

Hint, the generic tracker is free to use. The generic tracker has thousand of more server listed. Including the game spy servers. And it also has about a couple hundred thousand million more players to play with.
    Also by using the generic tracker, you can use what ever tracker program you want.
    The choice is easy for gamer. It's a choice gamer make by the billion each day, Generic.

Oh darn spy. Don't do that. I guess i'll go use only mortal. Witch runs faster, works with more games, and has way better support. Not to mention, but I am going to any way. Only Moral support sorting, filtering, searching. Oh and btw it is free.

BTW halo 2 for pc will probable use the same tools as halo 2 for xbox. I wouldn't be surprised if they just slap that onto halo 1 and call it a day.

17. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502

i thought pirates cant use the online services anyway so let them pirate if thats the case people wanting to mac vs pc multiplayer or mulitiplayer in general will pay a extra 10$ plus the cost of the game

18. Santaduck macrumors 6502a

Santaduck

19. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

20. dlfitch macrumors member

Has the G5 had much of an impact on gamers? You would think the market for Mac games would be increasing, and Gamespy would be more devoted to the platform. Either way, Xbox 2 games should be a breeze for developers to port to Mac, far easier than for windows, so in the long run I can't see this hurting that much...

21. benpatient macrumors 68000

i donno about the guys over there, but their website sux balls.

it's the slowest commercial site I've ever seen. The worst part is that they host all of the "Planet_____" sites, too, which all run really slow as a result. Making you feel like you're on dial up on a T1 line...not cool.

22. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

I don't think there's any value in bringing server lists for different games together, since you can't play across games anyway. So there's no problem in each game having it's own custom server finding system, and it would be pretty trivial to write I would imagine. You could do it quite cleanly with HTTP GET, HTTP POST and XML. The only value-add that GameSpy must provide is the servers to host the lists. But if you already have servers of your own there is no problem. For example America's Army already has their own servers for handling auth. They could just dump GameSpy on *all* platforms, quickly write their own server list manager, and host it on their existing auth servers.

23. WhiteSavage macrumors regular

WhiteSavage

24. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I took a quick look and don't see any havoc :eek: (well, I do, but nothing Mac-related) ;)

25. Cougarcat macrumors 604

It will only affect future games because of the outrageous licensing fee, so our Halo is safe. :) Also, TCP/IP and LAN support will not go away. PC to Mac compatibility will still exist, it will just be harder to find games.