GameStop Acquiring EBGames

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by clayj, Apr 18, 2005.

1. clayj macrumors 604

Jan 14, 2005
    visiting from downstream
    Huh. What is this, Merger Monday? Adobe's taking over Macromedia, and GameStop is taking over Electronics Boutique (aka EBGames).

Next up: China merges with Taiwan! (In the same way that a Doberman merges with a piece of steak.)
  2. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Jan 26, 2005
    OMG, that sucks, I hate game stop. I don't know what's bigger news to me, this or adobe buying macromedia.
  3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

Jul 28, 2003
    Citizens Bank Park
    GameStop has always treated me better. They give me more for my trade-ins and such. I think this is a good thing. I just wondering about the mall situation. Every mall around be have a GameStop and an EB (or two).
  4. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Dec 23, 2004
    Charleston, IL
    I've had no complaints with Gamestop.... Although I do like the name "Funcoland" much better than Gamestop :) -- but hey that's just me
  5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    same here..... ive never had a good experience at an EB, plus i see GameStops more often around here in the MidWest....
  6. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

Jul 4, 2004
    Jacksonville, FL
    Only thing I dislike about GameStop is their trade in program. The EB Games stores around here will trade in any video games, DVD movies, and PC games. GameStop just does PS2, X-Box and GCN. Hopefully they won't stop this. I like when they have a deal like trade in 5 games and get a new game for free. I look through my old PC games that are worth nothing and bring them in for a nice new one.
  7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Huh, in Indiana at least you're more likely to find an EB than a GS (although more GS's popped up over the past 5 years or so).

I shop at both places (I've typically had better customer service at EB and better trade-in's at GS). Hopefully the sudden lack of compitioin won't mean consumers are suddenly gonna get the short end of the stick.

8. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

Dec 30, 2001
    The SimCity Deli
    With a PC to play games that never ported to a Mac -- Blitzkrieg series, Pharaoh, MS Flight (& Combat) Simulator, MS Train Simulator, & etc -- I've found that GameStop doesn't have the selection that EB has.

I'm talkin' online here. EB rocks :cool: while GS doesn't :mad: .
  9. CAM macrumors newbie

Mar 12, 2004
    Lillington, NC
    To me, the 2 stores are so similar that I don't see that there will be many changes to the shopping experience.

Now, what I don't know is how they'll handle having 2 stores in the same mall or general vicinity. I'm guessing we may see quite a few store closings because of this.
  10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    if found more Gamestops in the Northen IL area, and suburban chicago as well, i see them all over the place in Chicago too, with a few EBs here and there, sorry for over-generalizing :eek: