Gamestop/EBGames' New Product Ordering Policy Is RIDICULOUS

Discussion in 'Games' started by clayj, Nov 9, 2006.

1. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

So the past few weeks I've gone to EBGames and Gamestop a few times, looking for things like the Halo 3 faceplate, Gears of War, and the Xbox 360 HD-DVD add-on. And a few times now, I've heard this refrain when I've asked if a particular item is going to be coming in the next day:

"No one preordered it, so we're not getting any."

This is moronic. I *hate* preordering things, since it ties me into one store and they can then slack off with respect to getting what I want when it's supposed to be there. (Case in point: I just canceled my reservation for the HD-DVD add-on, because the Gamestop where I reserved it kept misleading me about when it was coming in. Sure enough, right after I canceled it, I got an automated call telling me it's coming in tomorrow... but now it's not reserved for me.)

I am tempted to tell EBGames and Gamestop that I will stop shopping there... Best Buy doesn't take preorders, and they always get in way more stock than they need for popular items.

2. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I agree with you although pre-ordering hardly ties you to one store. Most games etc. require a $5 deposit which you can get back if you cancel no? Systems are $50+ but you still get it back..

3. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

hrmmmmmmm they always try to get that extra buck

4. clayj thread starter macrumors 604

clayj

So... if I put a deposit down but then buy the product somewhere else, I have to go BACK to the store to get my deposit back.

Like I told the guys earlier tonight (and from whom I'll hopefully end up getting the HD-DVD add-on tomorrow anyway), my usual philosophy is "buy it the first place I see it". There's no good reason to reward incompetence by retailers by giving them money and then not getting your goods on time. Lots of folks paid deposits to Gamestop/EBGames for GoW and then got it late, for example, but I walked into Best Buy and just picked one up right on time.

5. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I know what you mean, I got GoW a day later than I should have from EB. But if you don't wanna go back to the store then don't shop there. I think of EB preorders as safety nets. $5 down isn't a biggy and if other places don't have it, EB will have it a day or so later so I don't have to deal with sold outs.

6. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

Best Buy does take preorders because I was in there about a 10 days ago and they had a gears of war display where you preorder and get a tshirt...but their shipment is not completely dependent on their preorders.