Gaming, Apple Display, Halo

Discussion in 'Games' started by DickArmAndHarT, Mar 12, 2005.

1. DickArmAndHarT macrumors 6502

Jul 22, 2004
    (1) Within the next month im getting a 23" apple display to use with my pb (sig). I also use a playstation 2 for gamming and am wondering if there is anyway to hook a playstation up to the 23" display.

(2) Im not a very intense gammer but im thinking of getting Halo soon and am wondering how my pb (sig) would perform with that game. Specs for the game were-800mhz g4,256ram,34mg vram. I know I reached the minimum but is it enough? Also would the pb be able to run this game to the 23" display?
  2. anotherjeff macrumors regular

Dec 7, 2004
    I'm not sure if using a second monitor taps into your video card but...

Halo runs pretty well on my 12" PB, specs in sig.

As for connecting the PS2 to the monitor, you might went to check out viewsonic, they have a bunch of adapters to turn monitors into TVs, some even have HD and 5.1 surround sound capability.

These are also on sale on ebay and occasionally on clearance on viewsonic's webpage so it might be worth a try.
  3. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Apr 25, 2004
    Will your Powerbook run the game? Yep. Will it run well? No way. If you're expecting to run the game at the 23" native resolution then you're dreaming. Halo chokes even running at its lowest 640x480 with everything turned down. Overall I didn't find it playable, and it looked beyond ugly running at the lowest detail settings.
  4. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Jul 12, 2004
    It ran on my 933 MHz iBook G4 at 800 X 600. For god's sake people, Halo is not that bad of a port.
  5. eroda macrumors member

Mar 13, 2005
    it will run the game but not very effieciently i even have trouble getting frames on my x86 system (fx-53 9800xt)
  6. benpatient macrumors 68000

Nov 4, 2003
    pgc, your ibook doesn't even support G5 has about the same ability to play halo as an xbox that i mean it will run 640x480 with smooth frame rates and most of the basic options set to medium.

The problem with getting a 23" cinema display to attach to a console is that you will, even if you get it to connect (which is sorta awkward to begin with...but better with the new CDs than with the old ones), you won't be running in the monitor's native resolution, and you will end up with ghosting and low contrast. In sort, it won't impress you, visually, when you are using it as a TV the way it does when you use it as a monitor and run the native resolution of the display.

You'd be better off getting a huge HD set and running your mac to that.