Gaming computers

Discussion in 'Games' started by dylan6950204, Dec 17, 2006.

1. dylan6950204 macrumors member

dylan6950204

i am looking for a good gaming computer at a lower ended price. So i typed gaming computers into google and this web site came up www.slizone.com/
    and they have this computer

CyberPower PC
    AMD Athlon™64 3800+ CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology, 512MB PC6400 DDR2/800 Memory, NVIDIA GeForce 7100 GS Graphics SLI Ready with TurboCache supporting 256MB 16X PCI Express VIDEO CARD

$465 SLI-Ready

so my qestion is this worth that much and is it a good enoph computer to play such games as WOW.

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Probably best upgrade that to 1gb Ram. My friend and I had similar computers (same CPU, same GPU) but I had 512mb ram, he had 1gb and doubling the memory got much better results. Half Life 2's lost coast demo couldn't run at all on my system but was fine on his.

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Geforce 7100GS and gaming :D :D :D :D

It's not April 1st already is it?

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Dammit I've been out of the hardware game for too long :mad:

7100 is bad I take it?

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well the 7300 sucks ass, the 7100 is like somthing thats come out of one.

6. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

I'd say you need 1GB min these days, maybe 2GB if you can afford it (though this is easily upgradable if you can't).

Oh, and a 7100 GS graphics card won't cut it I bet.

Bear in mind I know very little about contemporary gaming hardware

7. aholden12592 macrumors regular

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I think if a person is looking at budget priced systems, they certainly arent ready to make the $4000 top of the line AlienWare leap.

9. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

To put it bluntly the 7100GS is not even G70 based and its only slightly faster than the 9600SE I have in my PC... which was crappy 2 years ago, let alone today.

It won't play games properly.

If you are in a budget get something like an Emachines and upgrade the videocard or build your own, even a 7300GT is decent enough to get you gaming but not a 7100.

10. wako macrumors 65816

lol... 7100GS...

Id rather go back a generation and get a 6800GT :p

11. MGLXP macrumors regular

If you're looking for a gaming computer, the single most important component is the video card and the nVidia GeForce 7100 Series will not cut it. You should be at least getting a GeForce 7600GS or GT video card if you want any decent gaming experience. Even going for a GeForce 6800GT will give you a much better gaming experience than the 7100GS as the 7100GS is considered the low end of the budget line (which means it's not good) while the 6800GT was the previous generation's mid-high end graphics card.

12. dylan6950204 thread starter macrumors member

dylan6950204

dude if i had the money for alien ware i would

13. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Alienware is overpriced, like REALLY overpriced, some of their 5000$ computers can be built for half the price (including a 24" monitor) and even have better components.

14. twanto macrumors newbie

Your best bet is to build your own. It is not hard to do at all. If you can use a screw driver, you can build your own computer. It just takes a bit of research. Your first stop should be tomshardware.com. Read review, check out benchmarks, learn the lingodefinitely check out their CPU and Graphics benches. They also have some good articles on build it yourself systems and how to do it. For $500 you won't get a great gaming rig. For $800 you can do some damage. Newegg.com is great for components. Good luck.

15. steelfist macrumors 6502a

for cyberpower pc, you can chose to not buy a graphics card at all, and go buy a graphics card type from the brand you want to buy from. i liked gigabyte, MSI, and Asus's heatpipe passive cooling graphics cards. no noise, and great performance. it does make a difference in your computer by experience.

i modded my old pc so the cpu has no noise, the graphics card is passive, and the power supply is passive too. my hard disk is rubber mounted too. the only noise is from the dvd writer.

the great thing about Cyberpower Pc is that they aren't like dell or HP where they use unique configurations and cooling, so you can do a lot of stuff with your pc, like installing a better cpu fan or switching a new power supply. they simply buy parts from other well known manufacturers and assemble them together and mail it to you. great isn't it?

if you can, just buy a mac. it's a better option, but for pc gamers at a real tight budget and want flexibility and good support, cyberpower pc is a great place to get a pc.