Gaming Consoles...vote!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mmmdreg, Jun 5, 2002.

?

What would you like to have the most?

1. Play Station 2

12 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. Game Cube

13 vote(s)
    39.4%
  3. X-Box

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  4. uhh....other

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  1. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

2. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

I voted GameCube. I've always liked nintendo's style, with 'fun' gaming being the focus. A friend of mine just got a gamecube with 3 games, an extra controller and a couple more accessories for £199.99. That's a very decent price for the UK, and a lot cheaper than both the PS2 and the hexbox.

For gaming though i'll be sticking with a computer. I prefer having mice, keyboards, joysticks and absolutely obscene amounts of VRAM :D

3. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I'm with beej on this one. Even though the games aren't as plentiful, I would rather play on my mac. I'm still waiting for halo........

5. Bradcoe macrumors regular

PS obviously

Xbox isn't even competition, and I won't even talk about it. Unless you like the idea of a gaming console crashing like a windows computer does (it overheats, I've yet to see one that doesn't, even after taking it back to be fixed or replaced). Playstation one was awesome. More games than you could shake a stick at, and a mod chip for $7. Blockbuster, here I come. PS2, backwards compatible and better graphics. Plus DVD player. PS3, coming *soon* (I bet a year or so after this holiday season). My roomate has gamecube and the graphics are awesome. Thats typical nintendo. They always had great technology (N64 way ahead of its time), but thanks to cartridges, the had a fraction of the games that Sony's consoles had. Finally Nintendo got to discs so its cheaper to make games and you can fit more than like 16mb of stuff. However, there are NO games for gamecube compared to any other game console. I'd rate gamecube the highest if it had as many games as PS. Granted, not all PS(1 or 2) games are awesome, but neither are gamecubes. Res. Evil rocks, Luigis mansion SUCKS, super smash bros. sucks.

6. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

stuck in the past...

he he he...the last gaming console I owned was a Super Nintendo...

u know...I still have my Atari 2600...works great! :D

7. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

An MIT student has found a way through the security on the Xbox. he he... another strike against it :p

You can get the rest of the article here.

8. whawho macrumors regular

Figures ... it is Microsoft after all....next thing there will be patches :rolleyes:

9. whawho macrumors regular

PS2

I voted PS2 because it was the first to have Grand Theft Auto 3...That game rocks.

But for the most part I like playing games on my Mac.

10. eric_n_dfw macrumors 65816

eric_n_dfw

GameCube

I got the GameCube - mainly to play Rouge Leader II. I've had it since Christmas and still love playing that game.

I'm borrowing an XBox from a friend right now and am less than impressed considering it's "superior" hardware to the PS2 and GameCube. I've only got 3 games though, so I may not be seeing the best it has to offer:
    * Halo - pretty cool but needs a keyboard/mouse,
    * Gotham Racing - Pretty, but not that much better than Metropolis Street Racer on Dreamcast (it's prequel) and
    *NFL Fever 2002 which looks nice but I'm not much of a video-football fan unless it's NFL Blitz! :)

I've also played Dead or Alive 3 at the store and didn't think it was a huge leap from DOA 2 on the Dreamcast either - graphics are marginally better but the gameplay was clunky feeling for some reason. (Maybe I'm just not used to the XBox controler) It definately wasn't so much better than the DC DOA 2 that I would be willing to pay $50 for it (not to mention the cost of the XBox)

I'll probably pick up a used PS2, mainly to play Gran Turismo 3 (the prior two games being about the only thing I played on my PS1) unless someone releases a comperable racing game on the GameCube.

My Dreamcast still serves up a great fight with DOA 2 and Soul Caliber too (can't wait 'till Soul Caliber 2 on GC comes out though!)
    -Eric S.

PS: Super Smash Bro's does not suck - especially if you have multi-players all going at it! Luigi is good game too, but too short.

11. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Re: PS obviously

I reall love Super Smash Bros. Its a great game to play with a few people. Luigi's Mansion is graphically cool, but falls on its face in playability (A renter if I ever saw one). Res. Evil is cool as hell as is Rogue Squadron. Bond rocks for multiplayer.

All in all, I think Gamecube has enough games to tide me over until Zelda, Metroid AND Mario come out later this year. Those games are the reason I bought my cube in the first place.

I think the cube is a helluva system. From what I've seen of the PS 2, I don't like it as much. Plus they don't have the games I'm dying to play. And they never will. Nintendo has always come out with games that I've found to be the most innovative and fun to play. I'm hoping they continue that tradition with the upcoming games.

Taft

12. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

ME too! I have the original Nintendo at my house. I don't like PS2 cuase sony competes with Apple, of course with X Box I don't even have to explain.

13. iGav macrumors G3

Re: stuck in the past...

I still have my Atari 2600 too..... and it still works perfectly........ :D

That was actually the last games console I bought........ :p

14. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

IF I was to get a dedicated gaming system, I would have to say PS2... Then again, I don't use my PS1 all that much. I haven't used it since I moved into my current apartment over a year ago.

I did build a game peecee last year, and have been 'tweaking' it lately. I'd rather do that, since it has more uses then just for games (if I need it to). I can also do LAN parties with it, and game online easily (can't do that yet with the consoles I believe).

I also have my TiBook to play games on, for the titles that I have.

I too am waiting for Halo to come to the computer, and away from the hexbox. Remeber back when Halo was being developed by Bungie, before m$ assimilated them?? At that point it was going to be released for both the Mac and peecee at the same time. Not delayed for the Mac, but both together. Then m$ took over and that went down the crapper. Now there is talk about them making it for the peecee, and how it will be months before it comes out. :rolleyes: You would think that it won't take much to port it over to the computer, considering how m$ has been saying how 'great' the hexbox is, and how it has innards just like peecee's do.

Rat bastards...

15. King Cobra macrumors 603

I have been using N64 since, when was it, 96? Well, I have had it for at least 4 or 5 years and I still use it. I still play Excitebike.

And I am so ashamed to admit it, but I do have and use the crapXbox. And to think I was going to be blown away by a 733MHz processor! The graphics seem no better than the GameCube or Playstation. Besides, according to one of my friends, M$ will not be supporting that many games (or at least that is what I remember hearing). Man, I should have gotten PS2, like my brother or my cousin.

Well, I will wait until Playstation 3 (rumored?). Maybe it will be encased in Titanium! :)

Fear the King.

16. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

It trully was a sad day when bungie was bought out. I couldn't beleive it. I've been a Bungie fan since Marathon, all the way through MythII, I got the demo version of Oni, but it was only ok, I never got into it and didn't have much time to play games then. Halo had been rumored, they had screen shots, it was going to be the most amazing game for many reasons. Oh, the agony. I certainly hope that most of what was planned for the non console version makes it to the Mac. :mad: :eek: :confused:

17. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Also, ther GameCube runs on an IBM G3 chip--and an ATI video card. Sounds like a mac to me.

I also have the GameCube, and only bought it so I can gobble up Zelda when it comes out later this year. They opted for the cell-shaded graphic style, much like playing a cartoon. I saw the screen shots and hated it. But when I saw it animated, and fell in love with it. I think it will be the best Zelda of the series!

And yes, I love Nintendos gaming philosophy, where fun and gaming is number one, not connectivity or playing over the internet, or making a buck.

18. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

Yeah, Nintendo is still tops. It's amazing what you can create as a company when playability and creativity are top priorities. Wondering what I mean? Compare DOA 3 (canned 19 hit combos and huge digital boobs) with Super Smash Bros. Melee (nostalgic characters, intuitive gameplay, and excellent mode options). Damn, Zelda's going to be great. Even the design of the deck is appealing. The GameCube is really an excellent product. It's reassuring to see that blowing sh*t up doesn't pass for innovation at Nintendo. Even the Resident Evil port has, at its core, real plot driven problem solving. Just a fabulous deck.