Gaming Help for Myst IV: Revelation

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Tygrlylie, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Tygrlylie macrumors newbie

Ok this isn't a critical issue but I got the new Myst IV game for my birthday and I would like to play it but apparently, according to the UBISOFT helpline, my Macbook is too new since the software isn't made to run with the new Intel chip, or something to that effect.

I am not technologically advanced; I humbly offer up right now that I don't understand big words like processor and ram and rom and rim which might be something I made up; but if anyone can help me figure out how to run my game, I would be extremely grateful and I'll try my best to give you all the ram and rom information that you need to know.

Another note: a friend of mine suggested that I might be able to download a patch; what is a patch? i thought i followed his instructions and downloaded it but after that nothing changed so maybe I am doomed to have wasted a birthday present request on a game I can't play. Anyone with ideas?? Thanx!!

2. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Universal Binary Games.

Unfortunately Myst IV is not mentioned, although Myst V is.

Most Apps should run under Rosetta (which is a technology which helps applications not optimised for Intel Macs run).

Every Intel Mac comes with Rosetta.

It mentions that Myst IV runs under Rosetta, but is sluggish.

From your post I can't work out whether it does not work (and you have tested it), or you have just been told it will not work.

If it's the later, then I suppose the obvious thing is just to try it.

I played Riven (it was one of the last games I really played on a computer - and really enjoyed it). I hope you can get it running.

Good Luck.

3. Tygrlylie thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you for offering up some advice! well i did download the game and try to launch it, and it sort of just began to open then the screen went black and shut itself down. i called tech support and they basically told me that there was nothing i could do, but that was back in june and i sort of hoped that by now there might be so new thing available...?

so this Rosetta thing; forgive me, but how do i set up my computer so that the game will open using Rosetta on which to run? thanx again!

4. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

I've just downloaded the demo to see if it would run and it won't open.

Rosetta is automatic - if it can open with Rosetta it will.

In short, until/if an update/patch is released, no Myst.