Gaming in 2012: Your Views

Discussion in 'Games' started by kuyu, Aug 26, 2005.

1. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

With all the hub-bub around the impending launch of the 360, PS3, and Revolution I thought it would be cool to get some feedback on the next next-gen. Of course we haven't even seen the new consoles up close, but most of us here have been gaming for a while. And given that we know the basic direction gaming will take in next six years, I think we know enough to at least make a few educated guesses regarding the future. With that said,

Where do you see gaming in 2012?
    Who won the last generation?
    Who's still in business?
    What are the next gen specs?
    Has mac gaming taken off?

You get the idea. I've got predictions, but I want to see what you think first. ;)

2. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Nintendo release Mario for the new Nintendo TS!

3. Stretch macrumors newbie

A good question!

Hmmm...just some speculation....

I hope to see competing systems still thriving, not only for a wider variety of consumer choices in games, but for the overall health of the market itself. With referance to the Nvidia/ATI or AMD/Intel rivalry, I hope the gaming market doesn't just devolve into two competing giants, such as MS and Sony, but it just may if Nintendo can't get it's act together this round. I personally dont miss Sega's horrible tv-ads, but I do miss their presence as a console manufacturer.

I think we'll also see the result of the increasing convergence between movies and games. The two have already come very close, and with the increase in graphics power that comes with each new generation of systems it surely won't be long before gamers start to take Toy-Story like graphics for granted.

This might be a good or bad thing, depending on your view. The proliferation of sequels lately has been highlighting the fact that most innovations in the game industry have been focused on increasing the technological power that currently exists and using it to enhance popular genres, rather than actually trying to invent new genres or taking a chance on something different.

I think overall the move to the Intel Platform will be a great boon for Mac Gaming. Over the past few years, development on the Mac has been taking an increasingly parrallel approach to PC development, and with Intel based processors I think that this approach will start to move towards convergence, rather than the game of catch-up that it often has had to play.

Also, in 2012, I can't wait to play HL-2 abandoneware on my super-computer emulator. :)

4. d_saum macrumors 6502

d_saum

Great idea for a thread!!!!!!!! Man, I cant wait to see what gaming in 2012 is. Im hoping its VR or augmented reality. Maybe a wearable game system that you can play outside like in a field or in the woods, or in a building (although, how dumb would you look running around when other people cant see what you're seeing?).

Im thinking the processing power will be in the 80 - 100Ghz range but... that could be broken up among multicore multi-cpu setups. Figure about 15 - 30 gig of ram, and a ton of HDD storage. I also cant wait to see what broadband will be capable of!!!

PS2 definitely won this round, and will probably win the next round too. Although I must say, even though PS2 won this round, Im hooked on my xbox and havent played my ps2 almost at all since I got the xbox. Better graphics, live, surround sound. I would say the current xbox wins as far as my preference, but in sales the ps2 beats the pants off of it.

Next time around, I definately see all three still around. PS4, Xbox (insert dumb name here), and Nintendo Reincarnation.

Apple will have moved heavily into the gaming arena now being fully on x86 and more market share (not a crazy amount, maybe 8 or 9 %). They will also have moved into the wearable computer market or "Handtop" computer like a PDA on steroids. Fully functional, and will last a about 2 days on a single charge of the battery. Who knows, but its interesting to think about whats coming!!!

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

im really hoping Nintendo and Sega get into bed and release a console together. and that if the Revolution isn't the 'back to the roots' console it should be then this machine should.

i dont care for virtual reality yet. if its a helmet then i'll happily still play my GBA. but if it feels like you're actually there then i dunno, if it didn't cost a fortune i'd get it. I've told myself i would NEVER pay more than £130 for a console.

I cant see Xbox still in the game. but i can imagine another company joining in. a british one. maybe european. maybe the AmigaTwo?

6. takao macrumors 68040

takao

it's about fricking time for an european console maker... in the last years the waiting times become worse and worse perhaps it would help the games sales finally

and for the love of god, EA games, save the money for advertizing Madden, NHL, NBA i++ over here,nobody is interested in that, and put the money into making FIFA something better than this lame joke

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

we do need another Amiga. but i suppose it would just be shadowed by the PS3 (provided the Linux rumours are true) because they would be too similar.

history lesson! the old Amiga, the 1986-1996 ones, the A600 and A1200 could do primitive video editing and titling. The Amiga had it all. it was the first computer/console hybrid. had its own OS too. what that machine was producing in the 80's was just stunning, wasn't matched until the early 32 bit generation. even then the amiga could hold its own.

I think the AmigaOne is already out. and if it is then its not that popular. but oh well.

Im not a huge fan of US games. they're all about sports, about the lone soldier. I like Japanese crazy games, and that they're mostly about working in a team.
    Its been so long that i cant quite class European games. they were run of the mill games but with stunning Gameplay. Turrican would wipe the floor with Metroid given the chance (only now the company who made Turrican moved from Germany and now reside in California). and Rare have just dropped in quality to nothing. Team17 are gods.

8. applekid macrumors 68020

VR headsets and holographic displays... are a long way off. I can't see that in the next 2012. I think people will finally have begun having HDTVs standard in their homes. And we'll be waiting patiently for the next generation of TVs.

The Big Three will remain the Big Three (Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft). However, if Microsoft's X-Box 360 flops and continues to flop, I think Microsoft will drop out of this competition. Microsoft has been successful in creating its own audience (the casual adult gamer that needs his shooters and sports and pays for Live), but if they can't pull profits continuously, I think they'll throw in the towel. The X-Box campaign has been bleeding from the start. The 360 is supposed to save them. I don't think it'll save them though.

Sony will probably be touted as the number one console maker for a third generation unless Nintendo's Revolution will really blow away the competition. I haven't placed my bets on anything yet. But, this generation still leaves me with a lot of uncertainty and wanting for something new. The Revolution will create a new audience of gamers as well. The gaming girl and the casual gamer that really isn't into gaming, but likes the non-games like Nintendogs. DDR and Nintendogs have created a new audience of gamers that Sony and Nintendo have captured, I think Nintendo will continue that trend with the Revolution to expand the gaming market to those previously uninterested. The question is, will that be enough to push consoles and make Nintendo number one.

Handheld gaming will crown Nintendo as the winner. Why? The PSP hasn't prove to be a gaming handheld, but instead a multimedia player for the geek. It's fragile and just isn't fun. Sony will either call it quits, or try to learn from their mistakes. But, since Sony has always been about making something pretty and often fragile, I don't see Sony breaking from their own mold. Because Nintendo has successfully created a new gaming audience with the DS, I think the DS will have its own successor and continue the third-pillar. This next generation of DS will be reaching out to the non-gamer even more, while the next-gen GB continues to feed the regular gamer. GameCube-style discs will be the media and hopefully included GameCube compatibility will be a feature of the next gen GB. Though, I won't be surprised if we're sticking to cartridges.

The consoles in 2012 will just be like the previous generation... Just better technologies to look prettier. Woohoo...

PC gaming will become a lost cause. PC games are just crap today. It's same ol' shooter with the same ol' game engines. And the analysts saying that PC gaming is on a down turn were right. The repercussions on the Mac will be felt. Less ports. But, the x86 will expand our marketshare and MacOS XI will keep us ahead of Windows WhoCares. With better MP support on consoles for online gaming, PC gaming will fall flat on its face.

I'm not too optimistic about gaming in the future, in general. This next generation has to be new and fresh for me to be optimistic.

9. kuyu thread starter macrumors 6502a

kuyu

Great feedback so far! :)

In 2012 I think we'll still see all the major players still in the game. Gaming has moved more into the mainstream, and sales figures for all three companies show this.

Nintendo increased their worldwide market share this time. Mostly because of huge % increases in Japan and Europe. They saw a marginal increase in the US. However, they sold a ton more units of the Revolution overall.

Microsoft made amazing strides in the US, where they outsold Sony this time. There was a little improvement in Japan, and about the same in Europe. Analysts cite their aggresive "on demand" HD movie service and initial market penetration as reasons for the 360's market dominance in the states. Also the programmable pipelins, DRAM, and 512 memory actually gave the 360 the gfx crown again.

Sony's PS3 sold like gangbusters in Japan, where HDTV adoption leads the world. The American and European gamers weren't as quick to plop down the hefty price tag for a Blu-Ray player, as most couldn't even watch the HD movies anyway. The PS3 had the most impressive physics, and scientists used the box to do quick calculations.

The PS4 will feature another Cell chip. This one runs at 35 Ghz wil 16 SPE's. There is 4 gigs of ram, with 128 MB embeded DRAM in the nvidia gfx chip. The multicore gfx chips (with physics chip) runs at 4 ghz and has 1 gig of dedicated memory. Sony claims studios are using their alpha kits to render real time special effects for movies. Turns out they're lying.

The Xbox 720 (premium edition) feature 2 quadcore PPC-derived proc's, each at 40Ghz. It has 8 gig's of total ram (2 on one proc, 6 on the other). The multicore ATI gfx card boasts 128 mg DRAM, a physics unit, an runs at 4 GHz. It has 1 gig of dedicated memory, but can siphon the 2 gigs from proc B. The dual machine setup allows the 720 to handle the most intensive games, all while streaming video at 1080p.

The Nintendo Reincarnation (great name, btw) is a portable gaming device. It's not near as powerful as the other two systems, but wirelessly outputs to any tv, including HD. Wireless controllers can be used when the system is being used at home. It gets 50 hours on one charge if used as a portable, 75 hours if used at home. The unit is preinstalled with every old NES, SNES, and N64 game. There is a 30 gig flash memory unit which can be loaded with songs, movies, gamecube, or Revolution games.

All three systems use 1 Terabyte holographic memory cards instead of discs. Each card has a unique serial number, and piracy is nearly impossible as every game registers with the companies when near a wifi point. Most new games come with the entire back catalog of prequels on the cards. All three systems are online, and broadband speeds approach 20 Mbit.

I can't wait...

10. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Gaming, for Nintendo at least, will have moved more to the portable market. A system the size of the DS or perhaps the SP that has excellent voice control features, a customizable control system (some sort of touch sensitive surface with an OLED - or similar - underlay that will show 'buttons', etc. The control areas will be pressure sensitive, of course, for more control, and will have either some simulated resistance or a real 'give' to them when pressed).

There will be a nice build in screen, fairly high res and large, probably some sort of OLED technology as well. The system will have some other optional display output methods as well. An S-Video or other compact HD video output of course, maybe a wireless transmitter to display your game on a properly tuned TV, a head mounted display of some sort, with some 3D functionality perhaps as well.

Graphics will be on par with what we see in the late days of the upcoming console generation. However, games will have moved away from photo realism and towards more stylized presentations. This will be for a variety of reasons; cost of all these extremely high quality models and textures will push the cost of games to high for most people to be interested in them, developers bored with trying to push out the next Halo or Half-Life, the continued popularity of "Retro Games" will make more creative lower tech games more profitable as the gaming demographic expands to include more women and older players.

Sound on this system will be presented with an ultrasonic targeted beam that uses the players body/head as the speaker. This technology is already out there whereby you aim a beam of focused ultrasonic waves at a solid mass that becomes a speaker as it resonates with sonic vibrations. The upshot is no one else can hear what is being played unless they are in the 'sound stream'.

Wireless online play is of course standard with pretty much every game (that offers a multiplayer mode) with full voice chat. Most likely using some highly developed form of the WiMax protocols for massive range, enough so that you should be with signal in most any populated area (akin to cell phone service now). There will be systems in place that let you log onto your hi speed wireless account with any compatible device regardless of who owns the network. Basically, you pay an ISP like you do now and you can connect to any other ISPs wireless network, who in turn bills your ISP for the network usage and they in turn bill you.

MS and Sony will still be around, of course, and will still be trying to break into portable gaming. They will have next generation consoles coming out, with amazing new features that don't really improve the gaming experience and, and will begin to see that the gaming market is moving towards portable systems more and more. It's inevitable. First we had huge dresser sized radios, and they became smaller so we could move them room to room, and then pocket sized so we can have it anywhere. Same goes for albums to tapes, to CDs to mp3's. 60 pound record players to something you can put in your car, to walkmen, to ipods that fit on your keychain. People want to bring their entertainment with them everywhere.

As technology begins to offer a comparable mobile experience to what they have at home it will begin to replace it, not just augment it. Ok, I think I covered everything with! :p

11. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

I want VR HMD gaming NOW--and not just at amusement parks. Stereo goggles with motion sensors have been around for ages--at huge cost. Make them mass market already!

Imagine your favorite FPS... still sitting in your comfy chair, mouse still aims your weapon/reticle (and body/walking direction)... but you can turn your head and look all around you, and it's all in stereoscopic 3D! Combine that with modern 3D detail levels and you are IN the game--just by adding one simple hardware device.

I know it's a little expensive--especially at nice pixel resolutions--but it would be so much fun that I think it would catch on and the price could be driven down. I don't know why that didn't happen 5 years ago, frankly.

12. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

In 2012 I will be bitching about how games were much better before.

13. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Ever see the X-Files episode "FPS"? I think it will be something like that.

>> "First Person Shooter" Episode: #7.13 <<

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

in 2012 I'll still be trying to beat NES Metroid.

15. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Speaking of Amiga, I am the proud owner of an actual Joyboard. And no you can't have it :) (Amigas were always a computer first and a game system second, for me, but I do remember wanting a CD32!)

16. jiv3turkey748 macrumors 6502a

jiv3turkey748

nintendo will be out of business
    mac gaming will be huge, because macs will be huge
    there will be a new system maker (apple mabye)
    and every system will have hundreds of cool, but useless features

17. Macamus Prime macrumors regular

- I see Nintendo out of the CONSOLE market. I still see them in the handheld market. I hope I am wrong and the Revolution dominates.

- MMORPGs will continue to be money makers. Most of them, if not all will cost about $20 per month and be more Solo friendly (much more than WoW and Guild Wars).

- Gaming hardware will continue to improve based on CPU/GPU, system memory and hard drives. UNLESS the Revolution really does create a revolution in the gaming industry.

- Sony and Microsoft will continue to be the 2 main rivals.

- I also predict that by this time, an AI "engine", similar to the Havoc Physics Engine will be out and popular.

18. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

And suddenly, you wake up! :p

19. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

I see playing World of Warcraft 4 on a Holodeck!

20. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

M$ will probably begin to lose out on the gaming market, definatly for PCs, due to their refusal to allow any graphics engine other than DirectX into Vista. Expect to see games (some of the really big ones, too) saying "not compatible with Vista" on them. Also, the XBox was a nice idea, but it's failing miserably. They lost money from day 1, and will continue to lose even more money with the 360.

Sony will either drop the PSP or do something unheard of and learn from the mistakes. However, I see the PS3 getting either 2nd or last in this console war, due to the fact that it's out last and still costing more than the other 2. What made it so popular in the last one was that it was out a long while before the other 2 (it was, in fact, meant to be a Dreamcast competitor)

Nintendo will shoot up this gen, with the 'nice price' campaign. The DS is cheap enough that you think "why not", and (definatly compared to the other 2) the Revolution is following suit, in much the same way that the GC is trying to in it's dying months. They have completely reinvented the entire casual market, with cheap hardware and simple yet fun games (such as Wario Ware) that anyone can pick up and play with for a few minutes while waiting for the bus or whatever.

As for other people, I see companies such as Gizmondo reaching into the European market

I also see Apple coming out with the iPlay, with so many extra features that enough people use to keep, but no-one uses more than 1. It will have special stuff in it to play everyone elses games as well as their own.

Sheesh, just 20Mbit? You can already get 24Mbit over here, and in Japan, the limit is summat like 50Mbit

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I heard that over here in the UK they're running trials for a DSL upgrade, 15Mb will replace 512kbps, god knows what the maximum speed will be. Apparently, like with every other tech ever, they can already do it. Its supposed to be with us later this year but i doubt it. 2006 is my guess.

Read that in Computer Active, months ago now.

22. WhiteSavage macrumors regular

WhiteSavage

Hillary Clinton's bill to funnel 90 million into the research of video games finds that Microsoft is behind every game that has come out since 1996. Little by little they have been activating abstract, unused and gullible parts of gamer's brains. And in 2012, they plan to say the magic word and take over the world!! Bill Gates Unveils his true identity as Hitler's son and Apple screams that its known all along (Thats why Apple isn't to keen on games at the moment). A large snowstorm destroys Lithuania and a pack of small children are reportedly killing endangered species in Alaska.

Thats all.

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'd like to see a 'biology' engine. Physics can be easily done now.
    like walking through grass would flatten it. and you could (in a level editor say) drop a seed, and run a slider bar along and select the age. it could rain and all that.
    animals would run around. and little insects too.

then again, if you add these selected engines to the consoles for all games to use, all games would end up feeling similar. which'd be bad.

sorry to revive this. but i had an idea for this Biology engine last night on a walk :)

24. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Summat like that already exists in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. The Shadow Of Chynobl (sp?). The entire game was designed to be a single player game with the multi player experience. Everything is unscripted, from the weather to the animals to the human characters

25. WhiteSavage macrumors regular

WhiteSavage

Yes but the grass doesn't flatten out, and thats what makes the difference. And I don't remember seeing any small insects in the trailer.