Gaming monster

Discussion in 'Games' started by crazycat, Aug 3, 2006.

1. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

I just sold my apple stock and might i say i did very very well. I bought it over a year ago when it was in its 30's and sold it in the 60's. I would like to buy a gaming pc, anything except Alienware. My friend had way to many problems with them and i would not want have any.

I heard good things about falcon systems.

I need a good machine and LCD.

Thanks.

2. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I would highly suggest you build it yourself, from parts purchased from NewEgg.com (if you are in the USA).

Now if you are going to do that, this thread could probably fill up quite fast with hardware component recommendations. :)

3. AndyR macrumors 6502a

AndyR

Wouldn't it have been better to sell the shares after WWDC next week as surely this is gonna cause share prices to jump a bit.

4. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

I thought share prices tend to drop a bit after those trade shows?

5. crazycat thread starter macrumors 65816

crazycat

I already sold it some time ago.

I would much rather buy it.

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Cool sorry about your buddys problems. I have had a Alienware Aurora AMD64 3500+ 6800Gt now 2 years since Apples offerings at the times sucked for gaming. Never had a problem other then a few crashes. Alienware,Falcon both make some great systems but I would wait for the new Intels to make it to market before buying any machine. The new Intels are just awesome but since they are also going to be in Macs My suggestion is to wait and buy a Mac that will also be a great gaming machine. Why bother with Falcon or Alienware unless you want to use Microsoft? I had no choice 2 years ago but today you do. Macs still rule in my view.

7. crazycat thread starter macrumors 65816

crazycat

I am very tempted to just get an Intel Powermac (whatever the name will be) and use bootcamp with it but i am not sure if apple will keep supporting bootcamp.

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

That would be my first choice. I wish Apple's models that are out now were available 2 years ago. I love gaming when I feel like it and Apple's PPC and ported crap just wasnt cutting it but now with Intel thats almost gone:) If Apple does something stellar I may just try to sell this Alienware though I will take a beating on a 2yr old PC. My guess is Apples offering this year that have real GPU's in them are all going to be great for gaming and who the heck wants to use clunky Windows when you can use OSX? WWDC is almost here and I have a feeling those waiting will be rewarded. Even the Gaming Monster;)

9. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

The problem with buying a BTO system from a place like Alienware (now owned by Dell by the way), Falcon Northwest or Hypersonic is that they are waaaay overpriced compared to what you can build for yourself. Basically all you're buying is a service plan through those companies. Now, if you're uncomfortable messing with your system's internals... that's fine. Maybe a pre-built and service-supported machine is right for you. Me? I like to figure things out, spec things to exactly how I like them, and I like the responsibilty that comes with that.

With that said, you really can build a machine that meets or even exceeds the specs that you might see from a BTO company... and often for much cheaper, even with some of the highest-end components. What's important for this thread is, what do you want out of this machine? Do you want only the latest and greatest? Solid middle of the road options that save you some money for future upgrades? It all depends on what you're wanting out of this system.

That said, here's some general advice I have...

1) Don't shy away from Core 2 Duo just because it's Intel... they are very solid chips and are being overclocked extremely well. In addition, AM2 did not end up as a great upgrade over 939 (addition of DDR2 and lower wattage was about it)... so if you still have a 939 board, it might make some sense to hold out for AM3 (yep, they're already talking about it for later 2007).

2) SLI and Crossfire generally aren't worth the cost... if you were expecting a huge performance leap over single card setups, it's just not there yet.

3) Should you build your own system, stay away from cases with "bling". Often, their cooling setup are less than optimal and you'll only end up frying your expensive internals. Stick with trusted names like Lian-Li, Coolermaster, Silverstone, Antec, etc. There are only a couple cases from Thermaltake that I would recommend (Armor, Armor Jr. come to my mind first)... their cases are generally less "refined" than the others that I mentioned.

4) Invest in an aftermarket CPU cooler. Actually, some of the more recent stock AMD coolers are very nice... but in most cases, an aftermarket cooler can make a great deal of difference not only in overclocking, but in silent/cool operation as well. Scythe Ninja, XP-120, Zalman CNPS7700/9000 are popular heatsinks.

Those are my thoughts in general, I may have missed some... but if you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask. I built a gaming computer early in the year and actually put together my water-cooling loop a few months ago (so if you have any water-cooling questions, please ask as well).

Some sites that I found particularly helpful when choosing/building my system:

http://www.anandtech.com Good all-round site with reviews, well-supported forum.
    http://www.arstechnica.com Check out their Budget/Hot-Rod/God-Box system builds... good starting points for getting ideas.
    http://www.hard-forums.com Well-supported forums, helpful for water-cooling questions.
    http://www.xtremesystems.org Extensive user base and knowledge in all things xtreme (ie. water, modding, etc.).

10. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

definately wait till apple shows it's mac pro cards, if it's too expencive just build a core2duo rig off newegg, but i'd spend a day at a friends house with a pc with a **** load of games, because i never use mine, i thought i would but i just never have time.

11. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

i recently got a 17 inch widescreen Dell Inspiron E1705 laptop. it has a 1GB of Ram and it rocks at gaming. i can run Half Life 2 without any lag or anything.

12. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

13. crazycat thread starter macrumors 65816

crazycat

I am looking for a desktop.

14. erikistired macrumors 6502

erikistired

if you have the money it's hard to beat what falcon northwest can put together for you.

15. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

I am one of the people here who will NOT refer you back towards Apple. Of course one you build yourself will be the best, but other than that, looks nice, and Falcon is supposed to be the best of the best. Granted, they will be super-expensive, but depending on how much stock you sold, you that may not be a problem... The only advice I have is go new new new. Top of the line gfx card(s), physics card, 10,000rpm HDD, and core duo2 (ok so maybe thats just MY dream system :p )

16. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

The last two are very nice...but be warned about going to xtreme. Once you OC, you'll never go back to stock ;)