Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hkim1983

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
I'm looking for a monitor that will be used for gaming (consoles primarily), watching blu-rays (on my console) and as an external to my MBP. These are my requirements:

-Must produce clear, sharp text for reading while using it with my computer.
-23-24"
-1 frame or less input lag on a 60hz monitor (it is to my knowledge that 120hz monitors don't play well with consoles). Input lag is not the same as refresh rate.
-Minimal or no backlight bleed (significant since movies/games can be dark).
-I'll probably be stuck with a 60hz refresh rate, but minimal ghosting through other means in the monitor.
-I do not need spectacular colors, but it has to be a decent sRGB monitor...
-It must have at least 1 HDMI port and 1 DVI/Displayport, or 2 HDMIs (scenario 1 is preferable). The HDMI port must be HDCP compliant.

Excessive AG coating bothers me, but I'm willing to consider it for the right price. My price range is between $150-250. Any suggestions? I'm currently on a Samsung TV, but it's terrible as a computer monitor...

EDIT: It looks like my only options are the Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM or an Asus monitor. It doesn't look like I'll be able to address all of my bullet points with either option though. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Last edited:

hkim1983

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
In order to help other people in the same situation as I, I'll share my preliminary results.

There's basically only 3 monitors that will fit my criteria at this price range: The Asus VH236-H (or 238-H, the only difference is that the 238 uses LED whereas the the 236 uses CCFL), the Asus VS239H-P, and the Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM.

VH236-H
It's the cheapest of the bunch and it has built-in speakers (albeit, they are bad like most built in speakers...). The monitor of choice for fighting game enthusiasts on consoles, it's time-tested and proven, and also has the best refresh rate of the 3 models.

It's a TN monitor though, so colors aren't as vibrant and the viewing angles not as good. It seems like most (if not all) Asus monitors also have backlight bleed issues that range from acceptable to unusable...

VS239H-P
Only marginally more expense than the 236-H, it's probably the best sub $200 IPS monitor you can get currently (as of this post), and as a result, you get most of the IPS benefits in terms of colors and viewing angles.

It has a slower refresh rate than the 236-H, but it doesn't seem to produce highly visible ghosting. The stand is the worst of the three and wobbles unless you use a very sturdy desk (it can be replaced with a VESA mount, but only 100x100 ones, not multi-size ones). Perhaps the most glaring issue though is the severe IPS glow that the monitor tends to have which can be very distracting when watching dark movies or playing dark games. No built-in speakers either, so that's an additional cost you'll have to factor in as well.

U2312HM
Probably considered the best overall monitor of the three, it has virtually non-existant input lag and the best stand by far (pivotable, height-adjustable, and swivel). An IPS monitor, so you get all of the IPS benefits, but you also get a USB 2 hub that doesn't come with the Asus monitors. The only monitor of the 3 to include DisplayPort. Has the best warranty of the 3.

The slowest refresh rates of the 3, but still considered ok unless you are the most serious of gamers. It doesn't have a native HDMI port, so you'll need a DVI - HDMI adaptor for console use. There seems to be issues with buzzing when adjusting brightness that may affect you, and the brightness levels seem to be really high, even at the lowest levels. It's also the most expensive option of the 3 by far. Like the Asus IPS, it doesn't come with speakers either, so that's another cost to factor in.

To my knowledge, all 3 of them have AG coating.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
I'm looking for a monitor that will be used for gaming (consoles primarily), watching blu-rays (on my console) and as an external to my MBP. These are my requirements:

-Must produce clear, sharp text for reading while using it with my computer.
-23-24"
-1 frame or less input lag on a 60hz monitor (it is to my knowledge that 120hz monitors don't play well with consoles). Input lag is not the same as refresh rate.
-Minimal or no backlight bleed (significant since movies/games can be dark).
-I'll probably be stuck with a 60hz refresh rate, but minimal ghosting through other means in the monitor.
-I do not need spectacular colors, but it has to be a decent sRGB monitor...
-It must have at least 1 HDMI port and 1 DVI/Displayport, or 2 HDMIs (scenario 1 is preferable). The HDMI port must be HDCP compliant.

Excessive AG coating bothers me, but I'm willing to consider it for the right price. My price range is between $150-250. Any suggestions? I'm currently on a Samsung TV, but it's terrible as a computer monitor...

EDIT: It looks like my only options are the Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM or an Asus monitor. It doesn't look like I'll be able to address all of my bullet points with either option though. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

I don't know if you've decided yet, but since the primary use of the monitor will be for gaming and movies, then why not get a high quality 23" 1080p 120Hz HDTV? That way you get the multiple HDMI inputs, a device that's designed for those inputs, and it won't be too big so that using it as a monitor would be annoying.

hkim1983

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
I don't know if you've decided yet, but since the primary use of the monitor will be for gaming and movies, then why not get a high quality 23" 1080p 120Hz HDTV? That way you get the multiple HDMI inputs, a device that's designed for those inputs, and it won't be too big so that using it as a monitor would be annoying.

Oh, I apologize if there was any confusion over what I said, but when I said "primarily for console gaming", I actually meant that it will be used primarily for console games, and not PC games (thus I don't need things like refresh rates higher than 60 hz). In terms of actual use, I'll be using it with my computer the most, most likely, it just needs to have the qualities of something suitable for gaming when I do play.

But what you've said has intrigued me, how much would a tv like that go for? Have anything in mind?

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Oh, I apologize if there was any confusion over what I said, but when I said "primarily for console gaming", I actually meant that it will be used primarily for console games, and not PC games (thus I don't need things like refresh rates higher than 60 hz). In terms of actual use, I'll be using it with my computer the most, most likely, it just needs to have the qualities of something suitable for gaming when I do play.

But what you've said has intrigued me, how much would a tv like that go for? Have anything in mind?

The reason I suggested it is because I actually did that for about 6 months with a desktop PC and a PS3 and it worked great with a 19" Polaroid 720p HDTV.

I would say that brand new ones would be in the same range as the computer monitors you were considering, but the TV would be much more capable and could serve as the main viewing screen for any type of input.

And if you use Amazon, eBay or CraigsList, then I have no doubt that you could find a TV for much cheaper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.