gaming on 12 and 15 PB

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by whw5, Mar 12, 2004.

1. whw5 macrumors regular

I am going to either be getting a 12 or 15 inch PB soon. Either one will come with a combo drive and 512mb of ram which I will later upgrade. I am going to be doing games such as halo and I would like to know if the graphics card and faster processor are a must have.

2. Palad1 macrumors 6502a

Palad1

Go for the 15''

Hi,

The 15'' has a much beefier video card [ATI 9600 mobility] than the 12'' [Geforce 5200FX]

Cheers

Palad1

3. _pb_boi macrumors 6502

Very true, the 15inch will be much better all round. That said, I'd like to think the pb 12in won't strain too much with low graphics settings and realistic expectations :)

peace.

4. JasonL macrumors regular

I can't imagine doing intensive gaming on the 12". I have the 15" and it is more than adequate for gaming and portable enough to bring to school with me on a regular basis.

5. jumpman25 macrumors regular

I am in the same position as you, and am leaning towards the 15". From what I have read, all the FX Go video cards are lacking. Given that the 12" PB has the low end FX Go card in it, I would think that you would have trouble playing Halo on it. I haven't tested the PB yet, but this is just what I would expect.

6. _pb_boi macrumors 6502

7. _pb_boi macrumors 6502

Jason - the pb 12in is my choice mainly for portability - can't wait to bring it to school with me for coding at lunch :)

As regards the games; well, H:CE is a graphics intensive game, and to expect anywhere above below-par frame rates would be unrealistic. But I think it'd play most games respectably, w/ graphics options turned down. Only a month till I find out, I guess. As I said, my main use will be coding (C), but also taking advantage of some aspects of the FreeBSD core, and school stuff. And of course, my music store :)

peace.