Gaming on Apple Boot Camp (XP on Macs, officially)

Discussion in 'Games' started by Haoshiro, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

2. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Oh, I did. I've said they need to do as much for sometime. Of course, that's not a popular opinion around here...

Windows XP is the Gateway drug/stoftware on an Apple Mac that gets people to try the new platform and then eventually switch to Mac.

Sure, some say software development for the Mac will suffer, but I don't believe that to be the case. Sure, games perhaps, but then reducing "next to nothing" to "nothing" isn't much of a loss.

Speaking with my MBA hat on, cheers for Apple!

3. Cohiba macrumors member

Cohiba

Woo Hoo !!!

Wow, I never thought I'd be excited about using windows again. It of course means I'll be buying a new intel G5 when they come out... I think this is great for Apple... wonder what the stock will be doing... can you say buy??

Also cant wait to play some serious games as well... the only game I play now is Americas Army... Half life2 I hear is outstanding....

4. polyethyleneguy macrumors member

Wow...I haven't heard anything about the new "intel G5". Is IBM and Intel working together on that one :rolleyes:

5. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I'm sure Cohiba misspoke and meant Intel PowerMac.

6. MacsomJRR macrumors 6502a

MacsomJRR

7. Quantum Man macrumors member

Well this is certainly a good development in my eyes. Too bad I'll have to till I upgrade to an Intel PM, which won't be for quite some time. :cool:

8. sixstorm macrumors regular

Maybe this thread should be renamed to "Gaming on Boot Camp" :D Has anybody ran a game yet? I would run one but I don't have my iMac yet . . . one more week.

The only PC game I have left is Counter Strike Source, I'd like to know how that runs on a Mac.

9. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Ya somebody pleases find out. I would but I don't have an intel mac, windows software or any pc games :( . If they work its an intel ibook for me :)

10. freeorangeshoes macrumors member

for the love of christ and all things holy, someone tell me how games run...especially HL2...if they run like i think they will (aka VERY WELL) im off to the store to upgrade a little sooner than expected.

post you selfish fools! ;)

11. Haoshiro thread starter macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

If I had an extra copy of Windows then I would!

Hmm... at first I didn't realize that this could really help push adoption of the Intel-based macs for current mac users... but hey, I think it will!

12. cartoonfox macrumors regular

cartoonfox

wait, will this only work on Intel macs?

i tried some "pc on mac" software a while ago, and it was horribly slow. i couldn't do anything, i didn't even dare run a program other than internet explorer! it was awfull
    i wonder how games will play also! someone needs to test it out : p

peace

13. freeorangeshoes macrumors member

only for intel-based macs.

14. cartoonfox macrumors regular

cartoonfox

doh! : [

I'm pretty pissed actually.
    i was stuck with a super old 333mhz G3 (yes, G3!) iMac for years and years. then, after an eternity of waiting i finally have enough cash to buy a "new" iMac G5 2ghz, 20" windscreen. i was so happy.
    then, a few weeks later, i find out there's a NEW iMac with built in webcam and stuff, though i wasn't that bothered...
    then, a few months pass and there's yet another NEW iMac, with Intel guts and 4 times the power as my "old" mac for the same cost!
    Now this Intel mac is getting all the attention and I'm stuck with this £1000, dated iMac which just gets older by the day!
    [/rant]

I'm gonna go play UT2004, and game i can actually play!

peace

15. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

It is physically impossible to install Windows on a PowerPC processor. It's compiled for Intel (well x86, which covers Intel, AMD, and Transmeta). It simply won't understand the code. In addition to that, it doesn't have a BIOS. The only way to run Windows was through emulation where the PowerPC processor translates everything, but that runs horribly slow, like the program you used.

The Intel Macs use an x86 processor. They don't have a BIOS. This program lets them install programs that use a BIOS.

16. danny_w macrumors 601

I also have an iMac G5 (refurb pre-iSight) and I love it. I would not trade it for any iMac released since then, at least not until the bugs are worked out of the new systems. I also just bought a 15" PowerBook 1.5 because I got it at a great price and because I would not get a 1st-gen MBP at any price. Leave the Intels for the early adopters, and let them be the guinea pigs. Personally, I can wait until the dust settles.

17. xcalibur macrumors member

3DMark

Man things sure move along quickly. There are people posting up 3DMark06 scores for a MBP running on Windows XP SP2 using Boot Camp. Anyone from Mac rumors got any game benches up yet? Really happy now that I don't have to buy PCs just to play games anymore. Man this is great!

18. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Link? LINK! NOW! :D

19. xcalibur macrumors member

20. technocoy macrumors 6502a

technocoy

3DMark

someone posted a 2500..
    I think we will need to wait for the powermacs to see how it will really pan out for gaming...

my friends PC gets like an 11,000 on 3dMark... of course, thats a pretty bad ass PC he has. Thats what I'm saying i guess... once we have intel powermacs and can get 512MB cards and such, these scores should start to increase dramatically.

21. MacsomJRR macrumors 6502a

MacsomJRR

Darn all these numbers and scores. HOW DO THE GAMES RUN:D :D :D :D

22. xcalibur macrumors member

23. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

You took the words right out of my mouth. The only numbers I want to see are the FPS.

24. xcalibur macrumors member

Early benchmarks suggest that you could be looking at performance very similar to a PC, so just do searches for benchmarks for a PC with Duo Core 2.0Ghz with 1GB Ram and 128MB X1600 video card and it will be a very good guide to the MPB's performance on gaming.

http://www.mobilityguru.com/2005/12/05/ati_mobility_radeon_x1600/page9.html

Same article has benchmarks on games as well. Note that this isn't a Duo Core though, it's a Pentium M.