Gaming on iMac in bootcamp - lower resolutions in "centered" mode?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Mac32, Dec 31, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502a

Hi!

I have an iMac on order, but I can't stop wondering if I should instead buy a dedicated gaming PC and a thunderbolt display.

It's important to game in native resolution for best graphics clarity, but some games are very demanding at high settings even for the 2012 iMac 27''.
    I've heard about something called "centered" mode, which means that when you choose a lower resolution than native in Windows 7 for better gaming performance, say 1080p, the active image will retain the same ppi/pixel density - but use a lesser part of the screen (with a black frame around the active part of the display). Is this possible (nvidia drivers?)? That would make a huge difference for me, to turn down the resolution and still get the "native" visual clarity.

I've tried to google the term, but I can't find anything specific. Anyone? Thanks! :)

2. macrumors 68030

forty2j

Which model do you have on order? The only reports I've seen of the 680MX struggling appear to be a bug in WoW.. Or a game that can only run in highest settings on a desktop GTX 690.

3. macrumors regular

There is none right now. The 680mx is almost the equivalent of a Desktop 680 GTX you really don't need more horse power than that right now. And if u do you lose out on the Mac OS.

4. thread starter macrumors 6502a

To say that the 680mx is almost as good as the GTX680 is a strecht, as the 680mx is slower than 660ti. It's still fast though! :p Anyway, I know most games today work quite well on the 2012 iMac, but it would be nice to know if there is a "centered" mode available in Windows 7/bootcamp for possible more demaning games down the road.

I've tried to google this, but can't find any info. Maybe "centered" mode is the wrong term. Can anyone with a 2012 iMac with Win7/bootcamp confirm that this option is there?

Thanks! :)

5. macrumors 6502

I think the term you are looking for is called "Scaling"

6. macrumors 68030

forty2j

Actually I think what you want is "Letterbox mode", and it's game specific.

7. macrumors newbie

What you are looking for is a function of the drivers, not a feature of the computer itself.

On Nvidia, open the Nvidia Control Panel and go to 'Adjust Desktop Size & Position' underneath the 'Display' heading. You should then be able to select which monitor you want to adjust settings for (you will have only one unless you have multiple displays). You should then see a tab for 'scaling'

I use the 'Aspect Ratio' setting, which makes games running in a resolution other than native run in as big a part of the screen as possible, but will not stretch them to where things look wrong (circles looking like eggs, etc.). It may result in black bars at the left & right, however.

The 'Full Screen' setting does just that, it stretches whatever resolution your game is using to fill the screen

The 'No Scaling' option does what you are describing. It will center whatever resolution on your screen with no up-scaling whatsoever. Depending on the resolution, you may wind up with a very small window.

ATI drivers also have similar settings, but I can not tell you where they are exactly....