gaming on mac questions: involving mac mini,virtual pc,and free multiplayer games

Discussion in 'Games' started by takao, Feb 2, 2005.

1. takao macrumors 68040

takao

so a few questions:
    my mac mini 1,42,512 mb ram hasn't arrived yet but it wil laround the 17th (crossing fingers)

i haven't really planed re-buying games i already own for the pc so i was thinking about using virtual pc for for running those odler games

i know that 3d accelration is literally non-existent with virtual pc but for 2d-games like age of empires II or star wars galactical battlegrounds it should be enough right ? so my question would be: should i use win98 or win xp with stripped down fancy stuff performance wise ? i'm really not interested with running win98 but if the performance is a lot better i have no problem with it ?

second questions: are there some sorts of free mac installers available for older games ? or game binaries which i can download and work with x86 files ?

thrid questions: what are good+free available mac-x86 compatible multiplayer games ? (FPS with bots,strategy games preferred)

2. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

3. PhantomVI macrumors newbie

Don't count on VirtualPC to run ANYTHING. Go ahead and use XP with it, but I really doubt it will run even those low-requirement games. Sorry.

4. benpatient macrumors 68000

the reason why he is saying this:

My dual 1.8 G5 with a RAID 0 array and 2.5 GB of PC3200 DDR can't run starcraft in VPC7 at a playable level.

Seriously.

It took like a day and a half to install Windows XP.

The mini isn't going to do it.

That's not going to stop me from buying one, though.

It just won't have ANY games on it. Maybe solitare.

The PC can't leave my house until they port OS X to x86 hardware and embrace DX or XNA (in otherwords, probably never).