Gaming on Mac sucks ass!

Discussion in 'Games' started by aldo, Nov 30, 2003.

1. aldo macrumors regular

Sorry, but I am _so_ disappointed with the state of Mac gaming. I got my iBook a little while ago, and OSX blew me away. However, Gaming completly sucks on it.

Lets take Age of Mythology for example... a very good game on PC. MacSoft 'ported' it over to Mac, and multiplayer is bugged up to hell.

I can't get it working behind a NAT router, and it still doesn't work if it's in a DMZ - the PC version does this fine.

Also, I was so damn disapointed that it doesn't work with PC clients on LAN... wtf is the point of that - I would expect 'ported' to mean that it works the same as PC in all things, not just some of them.

Not only that, it's blatantly not finished (the port that is - it says stuff like 'goto windows control panel to change input langauge'... completely not funny).

I can run this game probably better on my linux boxen via WINE - if this is what takes 12 months to port over to mac, I'd hate to see a hack-job of it.

Finally, as a last stab in the back it costs $50. $50 for a year old PC game, with a bad port is not my idea of a good deal.

I _really_ hope the Apple crew will see the light and start getting developers signed up so we can have some native games not ****ty quality ports. Games == more highend hardware sales.

[end rant]

2. Doraemon macrumors 6502

1. If you wanna play games, get a PC.
    2. Judging the entire Mac gaming industry because one game didn't meet your expectations is unfair.
    3. I doubt that you problems with your router are really fault of the game. Re-check your routers manual.
    4. Mac - PC LAN: Ensembled Studios's games all have that problem (Age of Empires 2, too). The PC version uses DirectPlay, which is unavailable for the Mac. Why? Because it's part of Microsoft's DirectX package. Can you really blame the Mac for Microsoft not releasing DirectX for Mac?
    5. Yes, Mac games are rather expensive. But the market is small and if companies like MacSoft or Aspyr want to survive, they have to charge a little bit more. As I said before, if you want to use your computer for gaming, get a PC.
    6. Apple starting to develope Mac games themselves is just utter nonesense.

3. aldo thread starter macrumors regular

1. If you wanna play games, get a PC.

I have a PC. I expect OSX to also work well with games, too.

2. Judging the entire Mac gaming industry because one game didn't meet your expectations is unfair.

Well, I've tried a few Mac games out, and Warcraft 3 is a dang good port. However, UT 2003 doesn't work on my powerbook, which is better specced than my second PC - UT2k3 works fine on that.

3. I doubt that you problems with your router are really fault of the game. Re-check your routers manual.

Well everyone online behind a router can't get it to work, so I'm unwhilling to spend hours monitoring packets and seeing where they are going.

4. Mac - PC LAN: Ensembled Studios's games all have that problem (Age of Empires 2, too). The PC version uses DirectPlay, which is unavailable for the Mac. Why? Because it's part of Microsoft's DirectX package. Can you really blame the Mac for Microsoft not releasing DirectX for Mac?

Well, it wouldn't be too much work to hack a 'samba' style port of it. It works half way there - the Mac can see PC hosted games, but not join them. I think the porters (new use of old word?) have just been lazy - DirectPlay is the least complex of all the Direct* components.

5. Yes, Mac games are rather expensive. But the market is small and if companies like MacSoft or Aspyr want to survive, they have to charge a little bit more. As I said before, if you want to use your computer for gaming, get a PC.

You are contradicting yourself... people port games to the mac, so people must play them. Apple advertises it heavily in the iBook section of their website.

6. Apple starting to develope Mac games themselves is just utter nonesense.

No, I mean getting developers signed up to publish them through Apple (the Mac version of it at least). Apple would provide support for OSX programming, and some sort of extras for Mac people, Like MS insists for XBox ports (extra levels, skins, weapons etc).

Also, when I think about it, Apple producing games themselves really isn't that bad idea. Apple is obviously wanting to go after the 'cool' crowd with the iPod, so why not make a kickass game only for the Mac? I'm sure if it was good enough it would get a hellofalot of intrest from the PC gaming users, just like iTunes is now - infact I only looked seriously at purchasing my iBook due to iTunes.

4. Squire macrumors 68000

Squire

I have a PC for that. Actually, the only games I've tried on the Mac are Marble Blast, Otto Matic, and Deimos Rising. so I have no idea how it performs with other games. PCs are so cheap nowadays that having 2 computers isn't as ridiculous as it might once have been.

Anyway, good luck on future games.

Squire

5. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

The simple fact is that, like it or not, Macs are not made to cater to the gamer market. The professional market is much larger - Pro Users care about Final Cut, Shake, Photoshop, etc. etc. not how many fps they can get in UT2003. Macs are not for gamers - if games are someone's priority over using your computer for real work, then they should get a PC or get a PS2 XBox, etc. Computers are cheap enough nowadays that you can have both. I'm not syaing I like it either, but that's the way it is. Personally, I don't have time to play games, so this doesn't impact me directly.

I like this idea of luring more users to the Mac, but the problem here again is that Macs don't cater to the game market. You can make an exclusive game just for Mac, to tempt people to switch over, but then once they do, what do they do? All the other games are released welll after PC release dates, and Macs don't have as many games out there, just as you said yourself. A good idea, but I'm not sure if it would work.....

6. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

Consoles manage to compete against each other just fine with a few different key games for each platform. The rest of the games on a console platform are filler to add variety but individual titles among those games draw very few users since they are shown in advertisements less often. I don't see why it can't be the same for Mac and PC. PCs are like the PS2 in that a huge number of titles are available. Macs no longer have a large base of their own games so don't have anything special to offer. The hardware and OS features available create an environment for games that is at least as good as what you see on the PC side, it's jsut not what developers are used to.

As far as price goes, getting your Mac up to decent specs could cost a few hundred dollars which is the same amount that a budget PC would cost. So what's the difference? The only reason to get a PC for games is to have access to additional titles. I am not going to spend over a thousand dollars on a PC for gaming just to play a few titles. If I just want more titles I could buy all three major consoles instead for the same price. If you already have a PC to play games, fine. It doesn't make sense to me to buy a new one just to play games though.

7. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

doesn't work as in 'won't run' or 'runs too slowly' ? What kind of Powerbook do you have ?
    UT2003 runs fine on my 12"Pb (1Ghz), not as smooth as on my PC, but still quite enjoyable when I turn down details a bit.

I wouldn't expect any gaming revolution on OSX anytime soon. Making a killer AAA game title takes years and costs an awful lot of money, while the return is over a very short period of time. Apple would need quite a few (heavily subsidized) titles to make people switch for games, but PC's will always have an edge on latest gaming hardware... I think it is a lost battle, Apple should focus on its strengths instead.

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I agree - like I said before, Macs are not made to cater to the gamer market. The professional market is much larger than the gamer market anyway. Pro Users care about Final Cut, Shake, Photoshop, etc. etc. not how many fps they can get in UT2003 or what the latest game is out there. Macs are not for gamers, so if you're into playing games then buy a console (that's what they're made for!) or buy a nice Alienware system or something like that.

9. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

No need for the immature langauge and cussing. Watch it or else the moderator will ban you. That type of langauge is not necessary here, nor it is constructive in any way.

I don't believe anyone has ever questioned the fact that Macs have enough power to run games - they most certainly do. I believe the initial poster here was commenting on how games are simply not ported for OSX as much as he'd like to see.

If you have something constructive to say that can contribuite to this discussion, please reply. Otherwise please don't waste other people's time.

10. hardon macrumors regular

was that the intention of the post shard , i dont think so!!! and after reading ijon's post i dont realy care!

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49388

i apologise for the langauge if you are offended, but this sort of stuff goes down really well with the Microcrapsters of this world:mad:

11. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Then go post on their forums. We don't need your attitude here.

12. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Please be more specific - was "what" the intention of the post? To what are you referring? I never said that your post had any intention, I was commenting on your immature langauge and how your post didn't contribute to our discussion.

What does iJon's tragic situation have to do with this thread? Someone has a personal tragedy and this means you can start swearing and posting irrelevant information? My heart goes out to iJon as much as everyone else here, but with all due respect his situation has nothing to do with this thread or your nature of posting. Please do not use a horrible tragedy as an excuse to act like you are acting.

Okay, fair enough then I guess. I didn't realize "microrapsters" need to swear and use incorect grammar and spelling excessively to get their points across. I definitely don't see many of them here on MacRumors.

13. aldo thread starter macrumors regular

I am defnitley NOT a windows fanboy. I hate Windows, I hate microsoft. On all of my PCs Fedora Core 1 is set to default on my grub.conf :).

When I said powerbook, I meant iBook. I don't know what got into me there :(.

My ibook is a 800mhz G3, 640mb RAM, Radeon 7500 32mb. While not a top spec, more than good enough for low end game of UT2k on the PC. However, it's a colmplete dog on OSX - slow as crap.

While I agree macs are not designed for gaming, I'd expect the gaming to beat at least linux...

14. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

gaming on the mac rocks, if you are ignorant enough to buy the weakest hardware- ibook and expect to play Ut2K3 or any other AAA game at decent frames then you are just ignorant on Mac gaming, Apple has a great game page check it out if you dont thinks so but please what this thread should be titled is that my ibook sucks and is to weak to play new games!;) www.apple.com/games apple gaming is getting better and better and the hardware is doing the same, back to UT2k3 or perhaps RTCW or maybe a little F1 racing...........then again Jedi Knight II??...............or perhaps a game of Medal of Honor.......................................................................................

15. hardon macrumors regular

i dont think 1 naughty word constitutes a bad attitude, in fact i love giving hints and tips on this forum , if i can help i will.

i thought forums are about giving my opinion, my opinion was as above.

ill apologise once more, and say nothing more on the matter :(

16. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Latest post:

Initial Post:

Are you the same poster? Or just schizophrenic? ;) If you would've typed up your initial post as you did with you last one, perhaps people wouldn't have had any issues with your post. And you say you love giving hints and tips? How does telling someone their full of @#$% and to "watch their mouth" constitute help and advice?

At any rate, we're getting off topic here so let's just get back to the matter at hand.

17. job macrumors 68040

job

Sadly, your iBook is the lowest of low for current Mac games. While it may have been a price issue with regards to your purchase of an iBook, if you really wanted to game on a Mac, you should have bought a G4/G5 tower, not an iBook. The Radeon 7500 Mobility chipset is barely equivalent to the original Radeon on the desktop.

Re Linux: Linux will outperform OSX in games because of the hardware it is running on. I bet if you ran games on a 486 Linux box and compared it to running games on a G5 it would be a little different. The reverse is also true.

Right now the best gaming machine in the Mac world is the dual 2Ghz tower. While it is also the most expensive, it's also the best. If games are truely all that you want to do than you really should not have bought the iBook in the first place.

cheers.

:)

18. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

Basically you are saying that you need to buy a badass Mac to enjoy Mac gaming, and that is exactly the problem.

Play the same games on PC and Mac (same config) and see why some people here are a bit frustrated...;)

Who is to blame ? Bad ports ? Bad graphic drivers ?

19. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

Do you mind if I laugh at that statment and drop onto the floor in a state of Histaria. You cannot be serious.
    Whenever you buy a graphics Card you get a bunch of games bundled with it. and every computer has a graphics card.

20. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

If you don't buy games for Macs, it certainly helps convince the developers that there is no market on Mac for games. Development money is put into spots where they money will be effective.

It's true that an 800 MHz iBook is not the best machine at playing games, but some of the ports are particularly bad, due to emulating DirectX features, rather than being written for OpenGL and Mac OS X networking. UT2003 is not well written, but if you read the requirements, it doesn't even play well with a 867 MHz 12 inch PowerBook and they say that it's not recommended.

I would suggest that, instead of telling us about it, since most of us can't do anything about it, you write the publishers and/or the developers. If they know you've purchased the game, they should be more willing to note troubles and pass them back to development. It might help this time, or it might help next time. Saying nothing to them tells them that they've done well, even when they haven't.

21. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

The game that I want to see on a mac right now is Homeworld 2.
    Cmon MacSoft, get ths thing over here... :D

22. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

First of all, learn how to spell "hysteria". :p Seriously though, you are correct - graphics cards come bundled with games. And every computer has a graphics card in it. Wow, that's pretty observant of you. And also that's completely irrelevant to my comment - well done on that! :rolleyes:

As I said in the statement you quoted from my post, the pro market is larger than the gamer market. I am referring to the amount of money spent on pro software as opposed to games. When you have Hollywood production studios buying multiple copies of FCP, Shake, DVD Studio Pro, etc., thousands of professionals in the graphic design industry buying copies of Photoshop and all the other Adobe products, not to mention Macromedia software, etc., and all for hundreds and thousands of dollars per copy, the gaming industry does not come close. $50 a game? $200 a console? Nice try. I have nothing against the gaming industry, or gamers, I'm just stating the facts.

The US Army is the largest purchaser of software in the world. Are they buying games, or professional software? I'll say it again, the professional market is larger than the gaming market, and this is what Apple caters towards. Virginia Tech didn't buy 1100 G5s to play massive multiplayer UT2003 with. (Although that would be cool....) :cool:

23. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Well put - I couldn't have said it better myself! You need to make your feedback, comments and suggestions known to the proper people or nothing will ever get done.

24. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

To anyone saying 'get a PC' please know that that is solving no problems.

He isn't saying 'there are no computers that play games well'. He is saying that Macs don't play games well. If he got a PC he would be a happy gaming-wise but that wouldn't solve any problems on the mac side of things.

He is completely and utterly correct. But he is also correct in saying that Apple should do something about this. Most guys I know (I'm 15, and so are most of the guys I know) hate apple. Most have never used a Mac also... :rolleyes:. Most of them are gamers, and if they ever used a Mac their opinions wouldn't change because Macs suck vs PCs when it comes to gaming. If Apple could at least compete with PCs when it comes to gaming then maybe the guys im talking about could actually consider getting a Mac.

So, aldo, everything you said was correct.

scem0

25. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

I might be out of the demographic for this discussion. I am old enough that most of my computer use is for practical purposes--I use a computer to get work done and I don't have much time for games. When I do get the time I turn to my PS2. My Macs are perfect for getting work done--stable, reliable, powerful, simple to use. I am fairly happy with the state of Mac gaming. I'm patient enough to wait 6 months for the Mac version of a game and I don't care about huge selection since I don't have much time to play. Games are not a priority for me.

I guess what I'm getting at is the gamer demographic doesn't seem to match the Mac demographic and I don't see a reason for Apple to try to cater to that crowd. I agree with the person saying the money is in the pro market.

What do they say? Unix for stability, Linux for development, Mac for productivity, Playstation for games, Windows for solitaire. Sounds good to me.