Gaming on Mac's

Discussion in 'Games' started by Stevez0r, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Stevez0r macrumors member

As of right now I have a Mac Mini (1.42 GHz, 512 RAM and 80GB HD), and I want to try gaming on a Mac. I know that the Mini wouldn't be able to handle gaming cause of the RAM and video card. I was thinking of getting PowerMac G5, but I need some help on the configuration. In terms of Video Card and RAM. Keep in mind I might look at a used PowerMac.

2. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Do you mean a 2nd-hand PMG5 or a brand new Mac Pro? Are there any real PPC-critical apps you run?

3. Maclarny macrumors 6502

Maclarny

In terms of gaming, the new Intel-based Macs are solid performers. If you're investing in a new Mac with gaming in mind, I'd recommend that you stay away from the PowerPC processor based ones like the G5 unless you intend to drop a lot of money.

4. Stevez0r thread starter macrumors member

greatdevourer: I don't run any critical PPC apps at all. My Mini was just a intro for me into the Mac world. Now I want to expand it into gaming.

Maclarny: Didn't realize that I categorized PPC and Intel PowerMac's as one. So what should the configuration look like?

5. risc macrumors 68030

risc

The Intels are much better at gaming than the PPC machines. On my Power Mac Dual G5 1.8 GHz with a NVIDIA 6800 Ultra DDL I was luck to get 60 FPS playing World of Warcraft (1680x1050 20" ACD) on my iMac Core 2 Duo I get close to 200 inside and nearly 100 outside (same resolution).

So if you want a top of the range gaming Mac buy an Intel Mac Pro with a 1900 XT, if you want a good gaming Mac get an Intel iMac. ;)

6. 4nr- macrumors regular

4nr-

Any of the intel machines besides the macbook and the mac mini will deliver in terms of gaming. Especially with boot camp and directx. However, you should still look into at least 1gb ram if you want to run the latest games lag-free.

7. Maclarny macrumors 6502

Maclarny

Don't count out the Core 2 Duo iMacs. In many benchmarking results on Barefeats.com (A site I'd highly recommend for any Mac Gamer) they prove that for gaming they are the best cost-effective Mac solutions. In many results they remain on par with or just barely behind the Quad Xeon MacPros, despite having cheaper graphics cards. The 24" iMac with the 7600GT would be my pick from the Mac lineup in terms of cost and performance.

8. Stevez0r thread starter macrumors member

I might go with the Mac Pro 2.0GHz with ATI's Radeon 1900.

But for now is there any game I can play on my PPC mini? Like Halo?

9. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Newish games you can run decently include:
    Halo
    Unreal Tournament 2004
    Warcraft III
    WoW
    Call Of Duty
    Medal Of Honor