Gaming on MB or Mini

Discussion in 'Games' started by WarEagle, Sep 28, 2006.

1. WarEagle macrumors member

Sep 24, 2006
    Atlanta, Ga
    I am about to get a new computer. I have a PC that is a few years old that I mainly use to play some video games. I am looking at getting a MB, the upper white model. Which games would work and what wouldnt be playable. I have a few older windows games I play like AOM and HL2 which I play on my PC but if I could I would like to have them on my notebook. I am looking to get a new desktop in the next few months also, and with no headless mac I would get a Mac Mini, I already have a LCD. Am I going to be able to get rid of my desktop and still be able to play the little bit of games I do play. I am a grad student and only get to play maybe a hour a week and I no longer keep up to date with the games but I do enjoy some kicking back and playing.

One other thing, Should I buy the Mac ver of the games if they are out? Any
    new game I will if I can, but is it worth the money to get the mac ver.

Sorry for the post kinding jumping around didnt have time to sit down and write a better post. Thanks
  2. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Jun 29, 2006
    AoM should play fine. Half-life 2… maybe. I haven't tired it. You won't be able to play it at uber-high settings, though…

As for native Mac versions, only if you wish to. Most games are written for DirectX, not OpenGL, so they'll run better in XP.