Gaming on new 20" Cinema Display

Discussion in 'Games' started by Veldek, Jul 17, 2004.

1. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

I want to play CoD, BF1942, UT2k4. What is it to play these games on a widescreen display? Are there black bars or is the resolution available for these games? Any other comments?

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

You will be able to play the games full screen using special commands in any game based on the Quake3 engine. That includes the Jedi Knight games, Call of Duty, and others.

For Unreal Tournament, BF1942 and many others, you are more than likely stuck with whatever the closest available resolution is provided by the game.

3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Also, I don't know what computer you're going to be playing these games on (obviously not your iMac)... but the higher the resolution, the more graphics power you will need. I would not suggest running any games at the resolution of the 20" without at least a 9600 Pro and a top end G4 or dual processor G5.

4. applekid macrumors 68020

Some games automatically stretch out. The Quake 3-based games will require a command (if they aren't widescreen already). I think the UT engine has something similar, but I also think UT2K4 supported widescreens (I'm not completely sure on that one). Not sure about 1942 either, but there's probably a command for that one, too. It has a console.

5. Veldek thread starter macrumors 68000

Veldek

I ordered a G5 with 6800, so this should work ;)

6. Veldek thread starter macrumors 68000

Veldek

Another question, now that I know that some games do support widescreen. Is the image stretched when you select the native resolution or do you have a wider view?

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

While I've never tried it myself, I'm pretty sure that you get a wider view.

8. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

All those games run widescreen (I have the old 20"). The only recent game I have found that doesn't run widescreen is Black Hawk Down.

Sometimes you can't change the rez through the GUI, you have to use the console.
    press ~ to open the console (or sometimes shift-~), then type
    set_r customwidth 1680
    set_r customheight 1050
    set_r mode -1
    vid_restart

9. Veldek thread starter macrumors 68000

Veldek

Oh, I thought of buying this game, too. Then there are black bars, right?

For the other games, is the image stretched?

10. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

You can set the resolution of UT2003/2004 in the INI file I believe.

AppleMatt

11. applekid macrumors 68020

It usually is stretched.

12. benpatient macrumors 68000

no, it usually ISN'T stretched. it's not a TV...

3d games render every pixel, and stretching the screen would actually be more of a pain for the machine than just running it native. If you run UT2K4 on a widescreen monitor, you can just change the resolution in the ini file and it will run with that number of rows and columns...if the monitor supports it, it will work.

the only stretching that goes on is with LCDs running less than their native resolution...almost all 3d games will run at any res. you want, because it doesn't evffect any of the rendering code at all any more than changing from 640 to 800 or 1024 would...the only thing is your performance will be effected equal to the number of new pixels being rendered on the screen.

13. applekid macrumors 68020

That's what I meant. Using for lesser resolutions will stretch it.

I doubt you will take a performance hit playing, say, 640 x 800 stretched vs. 1024 x 768 with black bars. In MoH:AA, I get above 30 FPS with 640 x 800 stretched even when there's a gun fight. However, 1024 x 768 can go down to 25 FPS when there's a gun fight.

I know for a fact certain games will not take a performance when stretched vs. going for a better resolution. The monitor just enlarges the pixels. It starts treating a bunch of pixels as one pixel (which makes it blurry). However, some games will take a performance hit when stretched. I think JKII and Jedi Academy took a performance hit when I went to lower resolutions stretched instead of using the 1024 x 768. Same engine, yet a different behavior.

That's why, make sure you do a lot of tweaking. Even though I doubt Veldek will need to with a 6800 Ultra in his G5.

14. m.r.m. macrumors regular

i'm new to macs (so clueless here), but are you guys happy getting 30fps? i'd be disappointed in anything less than 100fps (i know it doesn't make a diff. abow 85). that's the frame rate every pc gamer tries to get and most achieve. for the amount of money one pays for the mac, i'd expect it here as well (i speak for shooters. no clue on things like warcraft or flight sims).

15. applekid macrumors 68020

If you're expecting to achieve 100 FPS or some other large number, you must be planning on playing an old game with a super-fast machine. For example Half Life, Quake 3, UT, etc.

The reason you'd want above 30 FPS is if there's a major gunfight or some other intensive action, you'd sure want your FPS to not take a drop into areas lower than 30 FPS. So, yes you'd want that 100 FPS for those cases. The current games can do a good job of locking into 30 FPS (Halo, UT2K4, etc.), so it really doesn't matter in those cases.

However, most people cannot tell the difference once you get above 60 FPS. The human eye can see things at 24 FPS smoothly. Anything above makes it extra smooth. If you can tell a difference between 100 FPS and 60 FPS, you've been staring at the screen waaaaaay too long. I'd say anything above 40 FPS where the frame rates can jump around easily is going to stay smooth on the most part.

16. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

I average about 60-80 with Q3A on my eMac.

I always thought the gold standard for fps was 60...

17. m.r.m. macrumors regular

i played semi-pro counterstrike (not anymore because of college and football) so i'll give you that. :D

i actually feel a difference in shooters when the frame rate drops. no way i'd want play with 40fps. when you have good aim you can tell every frame drop as well as a ping rise of more than 10. your weapon simply doesn't behave like it's supposed to and your shots don't reach the target like they're supposed to (even without choke).

if id do a decent job on doom3 (equivalent to pc version), you should be able to get 100fps with a geforce 6800 with ease. a radeon 9800xt or even 9600xt ought to be able to achieve that. if dual processor support is implemented properly it should even outrun the pc version (since pc's rarely run dual cpu and no 64bit os yet). comes down to the games being implemented better. 40fps is terrible for the price and quality of the computer!

18. Veldek thread starter macrumors 68000

Veldek

I don’t think you will get 100 fps in Doom 3 neither on a PC nor on a Mac, because the frame rate is capped at 30 (?) fps.

And how do PC gamers achieve 100 fps? They often turn down any eye candy just to be able to play better, which is ok IMO, but to play games in their whole beauty you won’t reach these kind of frame rates, not even on a PC.

19. CaptainHaddock macrumors 6502

For reference, television in North America is 30 frames-per-second, TV in Britain is 25, and cinema is 24. Since a movie looks smooth to the human eye, anything over 24 fps in a videogame should look fine.

20. m.r.m. macrumors regular

in counterstrike you turn down all possible details anyway, just to get the utmost performance. i got about 100fps in other shooters as well (mainly half-life engine). i haven´t been following the doom3 specs, but if guns have recoil and movement has evolved from the arcade type strafing and jumping (of doom2 f.e.) you´ll want the extra frames. i don´t think you´ll get 100fps playing 1600x1200 or 1280x1024, but you should be able to do it in 1024x768 or 800x600 with a video card < radeon 9600xt, if the game allows.

when playing fast paced shooters going to the highest poss. resolution isn´t always the best option, because objects tend to get really small. you want a low mouse sensitivity and a resolution letting you actually shoot aimed headshots (thus eliminating the opponent faster, important in 1 vs x situations typical for doom).

this probably isn´t too much concern for the casual player, but it is if you want to beat it without using iddqd. ;)

edit: btw, the cpl (cyberathlete professional league) world tour hasn´t announced the game it´s going to play next year for the prize money of $1000000. it´s going to be 1on1 (so no counterstrike). it could be painkiller, but some actually feel it could be doom3 as well. that would maybe even get mac gamers into the scene?!

21. Veldek thread starter macrumors 68000

Veldek

Sorry, but you get 100 fps in CS or other games using the HL engine? It’s a years old engine! Ist sys reqs are, what, a 400MHz Pentium? Of course, you get 100 fps with every modern PC, but try this with FarCry and I don’t think you will suceed.

22. m.r.m. macrumors regular

actually i didn´t quite think of that. i guess you´re right; but then again, i´m fairly certain far cry will give you 100fps with a geforce 6800 (it better for the insane price of topnotch video cards ;) ). a college buddy of mine plays far cry and i think he gets 100fps with 800*600 with a radeon 9800xt.

as far as i´ve read the geforce 6800 and radeon x800 double radeon 9800 performance.

i´m pretty much out of contention anyway, since i´m trying to give up gaming to be more serious in college. :(

23. benpatient macrumors 68000

doom 3 is capped at 60fps, not 30.

for those of you saying there is no difference between 24 or 30fps and 60-100 fps, i invite you to turn your CRT monitor's refresh rate down to 30 and see how many seconds it takes for you to have a seisure.

or bash your face in....or turn your refresh rate back up to 85.

granted, refresh rate and fps are not the exact same thing, but the goal should always be to have them roughly equal. getting 300 fps in Q3 doesn't mean the screen redraws 300 times a second. That is totally defined by your refresh rate. The important thing for gamers is that each screen redraw introduces new frames of information, whether it be 60 or 75 or 85 or (on some higher-end monitors) 100hz.

100 fps on a monitor set to 60hz is actually, demonstrably, only 60 fps. the graphics card is just wasting 40 pages of info every second at that point.

LCDs are a totally different ball park, though...

24. m.r.m. macrumors regular

The higher your refreshrate the better. But in windows 2000 and XP there is a little bug which only allows 60hz in games no matter what you selected in your options. To solve this you'll need a program that fixes this. There are several well known programs such as Powerstrip that can do this.

V-sync is a command related to your hz, with v-sync on your fps will be equal to your hz this sound good doesnt it? but there is a catch. If your pc has more fps than hz you'll get something that is called tearing.