gaming on new imac, makin the right decision?

Discussion in 'Games' started by biohazard6969, Oct 13, 2005.

1. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

Feb 23, 2005
    toronto canada
    ok, so i just ordered my 20" iMac 2.1 Ghz, 1.5GB RAM INSTEAD of a totatlly souped up PC and i was wondering how gaming will be on the new imac, i have many games that i play on my 1.33 12"G4 powerbook: halo, UT2k4, CoD, close combat, BF1942 and others.

first off, how much better will these games play on the faster G5 compared to my powerbook?

secondly how well will it handle games that are to come in the future, say within the next year or two? i know no one can predict this, but i know appel said they wouldn't give up on the PPC so i hope i'm going to be ok

i'm just worried that i made the wrong decision switching the PC for the iMac, it was PUUURE impulse, and i almost wasn't even able to cancel my order
  2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    Games won't run amazingly, but you should be able to run any game that is currently out with decent performance, and you should also be able to run most games that come out within the next couple years. The iMac will definitely have noticeably better game performance than the PowerBook.
  3. jiv3turkey748 macrumors 6502a

Dec 30, 2004
    games should run a lot better on it than on your powerbook
    probaly all games will run good on it except mabye doom3
  4. pknz macrumors 68020

Mar 22, 2005
    I can run Doom 3 on my Rev B iMac. No its not good but it definitly isnt unplayable.
  5. applekid macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    PC benchmarks tell me the X600 XT is marginally better than the previous 9600 Pro. About 10 to 15% difference. It certainly should make some games on the border more playable.

A tricked out rig might have been a better buy although your choice in games make the iMac perfectly fine. No idea about future games. Mac gaming has been quiet lately or ports of older games are showing up. If say something like HL2 all of sudden showed up, I'm not sure the iMac would be fit.
  6. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Oct 16, 2004
    Peoria/Chicago, IL
    I'm interested to see how the results stack up for the Mac. I've heard mixed things so I guess I'll just have to wait to see some benchmarks.
  7. this is funah macrumors 6502

this is funah

Oct 13, 2005
    Berlin, Germany
    im thinking about getting a new iMac as well. the games im looking to play are wolfenstein, call of duty, and battlefield 1942. i think they should run VERY well considering the best graphics card i have ever had was a 16mb ATI Rage on a 1.4GHz Dell.
  8. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

Dec 19, 2004
    I played wolfenstein and battlefield 1942 on a 800mhz G4 with a Radeon 8500 64mb and 768mb RAM. Wolfenstein was spectacular and 1942 ran decently. Looking at the specs of Call of Duty I would surmise that the new iMac will blow those games away.