Gaming OS

Discussion in 'Games' started by ictiosapiens, May 9, 2006.

1. ictiosapiens macrumors regular

Hi there, I'm new at this forum, so please dont flame me if this has been talked about before...

I was on my way from work when I had this idea maybe its silly, but tell me what you think...

What if apple, made a shrinked up version of Mac OS, which didn't load up any unnecessary programs on ram, or any fancy graphics interface. So basicaly a really simple iterface, with only drivers loaded up and network support and whatever else is necessary to optimally run games. It would be like a game launcher OS. Wouldn't this release enough resources to essentially turning the computer into a gaming console. It sounds feasible specially with bootcamp available. With the multi core processors being used and the ati 1600 card, an iMac wouldn't be to far behind an xbox 360. If this was possible, it could even use a partition on the hardrive for game saves, and all the things normal consoles use.

I apologise in advance to the techies if I'm not considering some factors, but I don't really have that much educational background on IT, so I am only speculating...

Just an idea...

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Uh.. I'm not sure what one would gain from this? Why would a stripped down version of OS X be good as a console OS? If it's about resources "wasted", then simply having more RAM will mitigate this issue. Ultimately, it'll still be about the lack of games for Mac OS X.

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

There is just no market for it. No one with a Mac is going to purchase a stripped down version of something they already have. No one without a Mac is going to even consider a Mac for gaming. Plus, the software is not the most expensive part of the computer. Even if they could knock off $200 for the computer, would it be worth it? Probably not.

4. ictiosapiens thread starter macrumors regular

The full OS doesn't only waste resources on ram, but processot cycles in computer maintanance, programs updating themselves, and all sorts.

By having a simple os with which to start up the computer just to run games, would put the computer hardware wise at the near/same level of a 360, so the potential is huge.

If any of the rumors are true about apple looking into the console market, I don't see it so farfetched for them to start publishing games for their computers, so why not make the most of the hardware? This striped down version of the OS would probably be distributed for free... Most consoles are subsidised or make low to nil profits, so its obvious that the money is in the games.

Also, since Apple has complete control over hardware, a mac runing a gaming OS, would be as stable as a console...

I see your point on the fact that No-mac users would find it hard to spend £££ on a Mac to use it as a console... But if they are potential switchers, who are only put off by the lack of gaming capabilities of the mac, this would probably tilt the balance...

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Sorry, I just don't see it happening. The processor cycles used in "computer maintanance, programs updating themselves, and all sorts" just really doesn't amount to all that much in the base OS. As for the apps/services, if one doesn't start them, they don't becomes resources to waste CPU cycles.

Ultimately, there simply aren't the games available for the Mac to warrant this. And it would not be financially responsible for Apple to invest it's hard earned cash into propping up porting houses to do so. There's simply too much money involved in getting a license and paying a coder to reinvent the wheel to get GameX running on Mac OS X, not to mention the $ invested in support down the road. Remember, PC games still cannot be run without running Windows, and then the 'stripped down' Mac OS X has nothing to do with it.