Gaming pc minus windoze?

Discussion in 'Community' started by RandomDeadHead, Mar 16, 2004.

1. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

Here's the deal, my 12yo son is a sim/strategy game freak, but none of the games he wants to play ever come out for the Mac. We have a PS2 but there again their are not any games he wants to play available for it. He has been asking me and my wife to get him a pc just to play games on for a while now.
    His birthday is coming up in a few weeks and I was thinking of building him a pc, but I have been told that you have to run windows to play games. If this is true, I will have to scrap the pc idea because I REFUSE to buy a copy of windows. Is their any way to get around having to buy windows to play games?

2. richland macrumors member

Uh....No.

If a game requires windows to play...you cant get around it.

Stop refusing and buy it. :rolleyes:

No reason you should "refuse" to buy windows if your son will have fun using it.

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

You should check again to see what games are on the ps2. Most pc games are also on ps2. If not, go to your local video game store and tell the workers what pc games your son wants. They should be able to give you a list of simialr games for ps2.

Windows does somethings very well and gaming is one of them. I'm not sure why you refuse to buy windows, but it has become nice, stable os. It isn't linux or panther, but it has come a long way. Maybe if you give some reasons why you refuse to buy windows, we can give you some better feedback.

4. takao macrumors 68040

takao

strategy/sim games for consoles are really "non existent" and i wouldn't play them on a console anyways..... command and conquer/starcraft/civilization were ported to ps1,N64 and those sucked big time

RTS or flight simulators aren't made for consoles. period.

5. Opteron macrumors 6502

You don't have to "Buy" windows. If I say any more I fear RowerPC will ban me:p

But what's your problem about WinXP. It's great. Hardley crashes with all the updates installed.

6. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

If they are strategy or sim games the processor power and graphics requirements won't be as demanding and so a cheapish/middle of the road PC should do the trick. See if you can afford 512 Meg RAM, at least a 64 Meg graphics card, at least a 60 gig HD drive etc Make sure you also get a network card installed so you can link your Mac to it. No need for expensive DVD burners. Maybe Wifi...

7. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    You do not need 512mb of RAM and a 64Mb Graphics card for sim/strategy games. If you really want to do it cheap, even an old Rage 128 would play those games fine. Though if he wants to play anything beyond sim/strategy games, then getting the ram and 64mb graphics card would be a good idea.

Unfortunately WINE doesn't do very well with video games... perhaps some day in the future... for now you'll have to run Windows.

8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Snap out of it! There is nothing wrong with Windows XP (get Pro ;)). It is very stable, and is easy to use. sheesh! :rolleyes:

Having Windows doesn't mean you have to have paid for it...if you catch my drift...;) :D

9. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

That is the best answer. This isn't for you; you still don't have to use Windows. It's for your son.

10. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

Well you could install Linux and use WINE on it. http://www.winehq.com/ WINE lets you use Windows programs on Linux without having to install Windows. But they only run at about 40% of the speed that they would run, if you were actually using Windows. Its a bit like running stuff in classic mode on OS X.

Or you could get Windows XP and mod it to look like Mac OS X. This site has all the files you need. http://myweb.absa.co.za/errolla/fls/downloads.htm

11. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

1) The answer to you question is "You Will need a copy of Windows if you want him to play games on a PC".....

Sure you can use Wine or Linux etc but those aren't complete solutions...

2) You don't actually have to "buy" Windows but most of the alternatives can't and won't be discussed in these forums....

Of course I for one would never buy windows either :)

12. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I would in no way recomend this. I've tried it. Many games won't even work, and if you get them to they are very slow and cloppy (even on my fairly high end machine).

13. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

My brother just bought a ~$600 HP Windows XP box for the sole purpose of playing games on it. It's not top-of-the-line, but it really does work quite well. Unless you're morally opposed to buying MS stuff, it's not a bad way to go (not recommending HP in particular, just noting the cost).

Of course, buying a WinPC would allow you to point out the obvious superiority of the Macs, right? Plus, you don't want to raise your son to just blindly accept that Macs are best, as so many people now think about Windows. Let him see for himself, then he'll KNOW as opposed to BELIEVE.

PS Be sure to let it come down with a bad virus every week or so. Shouldn't be too hard to do...

14. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Yeah, put him in charge of maintaining the computer performance. That'll show him which system is better.

15. RandomDeadHead thread starter macrumors 6502

It's not really that I refuse to buy windows, it's just I don't want to pay a hundred dollers for an os that is only going to be used to play games. We got him a new eMac for xmas and he loves it, but the games he wants to play are either not available or more expensive and run like crap.

So me not wanting to buy windows is not really about me hating MS, it's about the cash. If I just bought a game console, and then had to shell out a hundred bucks for the OS to play the games on, I would be in the same position: trying to get around paying for it.

16. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

You might want to try ebay for a copy of Windows because I am sure you can find a cheap legal copy somewhere on there ;)

17. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Let's not discuss (or hint at) illegal ways to acquire or use software. There are plenty of sites where people discuss such things, and this site shouldn't be one of them. I don't to see anybody here get in trouble.

RandomDeadHead has a legitimate question: what choices there are for good simulation and strategy games for an eMac and/or PS2? Let's keep it legit and see if we can still help.

RandomDeadHead, you say the games your son wants to play are either not available or more expensive and run like crap. Can you give some details, e.g., what games that he likes are how much more expensive, and which ones don't run well. Maybe some of us know some bargain games that aren't bad. Maybe there are ways to run your games on an eMac and get better preformance. I don't know the answers, but maybe others here do.

18. Bigheadache macrumors 6502

I know you mean well Doctor Q, but I don't think telling a 12 year old to play game B when he is dying to play game A is a workable solution. Its like telling someone to play Quake 1 instead of Doom3. Try telling someone waiting for Doom3 they have the same premise and gameplay and see how they respond.

I think, as many people would realise, a Mac is an appalling game platform. Apart from Blizzard no one takes any time to do a good port. RandomDeadhead should just bite the bullet and buy WinXp home for his PC. Its the only legal solution to playing games with decent performance.

19. TBR macrumors 6502

I'm going to skip the whole windows thing and show you this link, PC MODS If your going to build him a PC then you can get some ideas from here and make it look really cool for not much cash. Much nicer than a beige box :)

20. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

You might as well go ahead and get him a Windows Machine then.

If you buy one from some place like Dell or HP, make sure it has a good video card. I would recommend nothing less than a Radeon 9800 Pro.

As processors go even though Intel processor might have a little edge over AMD in game playing, Intel is more expensive.

If you want to build your own, post or PM me what your budget is and I can help you. I have built many a custom PC including the one I am on right now.

Projected Costs:
    $150 Case/Power Supply
    $100 MB (built in sound)
    $200 AMD XP 3200+
    $250 Radeon 9800 Pro
    $100 Hard Drive
    $50 DVD Drive
    $150 512MB RAM

This adds up to about $1000 but it would be a top of the line gaming machine.
    Just be sure to NOT skimp on the video card!

21. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I think you have the wrong idea of keeping it low in price. I built a top of the line system and paid around $800. But I build a pretty good system for my grilfriend (who likes to play some game, but not many). Here were the prices.

$70 Case/Power Supply
    $80 MB (built in sound)
    $70 AMD XP 2500+
    $130 GeForce 5600 256mg
    $60 120 GB Hard Drive (after rebates)
    $30 DVD Drive
    $4 52x CD burner (after rebates)
    $120 512MB RAM
    $120 for windows
    $20 for cables and stuff

Thats under $600. You could even skimp even more and still have a good gaming machine. Check www.pricewatch.com for you stuff.

22. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

Those prices are a bit high, UK prices are cheaper than that. I can build:
    £10 Case with 300Watt PSU
    £55 AMD 2500XP
    £38 Nforce2 Motherboard
    £12 DVD ROM
    £10 Keyboard + mouse + speakers
    £65 Windows XP Home
    £85 Radeon 9600pro
    £38 80GB Hard Disk
    £42 512MB RAM
    £70 17inch Monitor

£425 (around $640 not including Taxes)

Under no conditions get a Nvidia FX card, they are slower and more expensive than the ATI equiverlent.

23. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

Be sure to check http://www.resellerratings.com/ before buying from any online retailer!

I tend to buy most of my stuff from newegg.com
    I have also bought cables and stuff from svcompucycle.com

Grapes911, I was just trying to show him what the maximum he should pay for a system. If you go to bestbuy or something you can still spend more than $1000 on a system and that's way too much.

There is also something to say about quality... :)

24. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

I thought I would add, that getting Linux + WINE is not a good idea. WINE may very well play the games you want, but you still need to buy Windows. Wine Is Not an Emulator.

I have my Gamecube for games. Any games that won't play on that, I don't want to play anyway. :)

25. thecow macrumors 6502

New Egg has some good deals. I am going to buy some upgrades for my pc from there sometime soon.