Gaming PC

Discussion in 'Community' started by neffedo, Oct 13, 2004.

1. neffedo macrumors member

I know that this is a Mac-based forum, but as I've noticed that there are usually nice people that post I thought it might be safe to ask: are there many mac users that have gaming pc's?

I was just wondering because I need to get my brother one who will only game on a pc (titles he said are easier to buy for pc's). And so... I just needed a little help on what to get or whether or not I should try and put one together myself; putting in an old optical and dvd drive and then adding the rest. Would this cost less or more in the end?

Any ideas out there? Specs I should definitely consider? Please, all recommendations and comments are welcome. :)

2. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

There are a good number of Mac users that have a PC for games, among other things.

If you want to build a gaming machine, it really depends on your budget and how good you are with computers. (software and hardware in general)

Pretty much any home built computer will be as fast/faster than a PC from someone like Dell or AlieanWear, assuming you spend the same amount of money.

"I wanna build a gaming PC, help me" is a pretty general statement, just give us a price range and weather or not you want a monitor; that would help greatly. :)

3. Maclarny macrumors 6502

Maclarny

I love my Mac, but I also love to play games. I took that plunge in February and so far I'm very pleased with my self-built computer. If you build it's a very good idea to have a more knowledeable friend with you. Now, I've built a total of three Athlon64 Gaming systems. It's a good experience if you're gonna be working with computers a lot. Building has several advantages to it. You get loads more customization options and it's much better bang for your buck-wise. The drawback is that it isn't exactly a noob friendly experience. If you're thinking of building I advise doing a lot of research.

4. pinto32 macrumors 6502

Check out "tomshardware.com" "sharkyextreme.com" or "anandtech.com" for some of the best advice on the web when it comes to hardware. They even recomend system configurations based on your budget.

5. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

Newegg.com

Another good idea...

If you do choose to build, order off of Newegg.com. The people there are very respectable and offer nice prices as well.

I've had some bad experiences with TigerDirect...

Good luck! :)

6. neffedo thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the suggestions! I called a local computer place and so I'm getting a little help with at least being able to put it together/picking it out. I've ruled out getting a monitor and I'm thinking that cost wise, I don't want to surpass $ 1,000-- is that even possible? I'd like it to be nice, but... trying to keep it in price range.

7. Maclarny macrumors 6502

Maclarny

$1,000! If you know where to shop that can buy you a fairly killer machine. I've configured two complete Athlon64 3200+ systems with FX 5700s and other very good specs for $800.

8. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

$1,000? Thats excellent.

You probably could get:
    Athlon 64 @ 3000 MHz
    1 to 1.5 GB RAM
    defiantly a 9800 Pro, or maybe a X800 or 6800
    550 watt psu
    10,000 RPM 36.7 GB Raptor + 120 GB 7,200 RPM HD

You could build a pretty good system with that much.

Good stuff :D

EDIT: here is a very rough estimate of what kind of PC you would be looking at getting.

Attached Files:

9. makisushi macrumors 6502

I built a gaming pc for under $1000 last year.

Asus P4P800 deluxe
    P4 2.6 mhz
    1GB DDR ram
    80GB HD
    9800 pro
    cdrw/dvd rom
    XP home
    antec lanboy case 350 watt power supply

Everything purchased from Newegg.

10. bdomz macrumors member

yeah you can build a sweet gaming rig at that price. Especially if you already have a monitor and a few other things (a copy of windows always helps) It's alot of fun building, I actually had more fun researching and building a PC last year than I did playing actual games.

11. Maclarny macrumors 6502

Maclarny

You must not be playing the right games :D