Gaming System vs PC

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by AtHomeBoy_2000, Nov 11, 2005.

1. AtHomeBoy_2000 macrumors 6502a

AtHomeBoy_2000

Can anyone explain to me why people are so concerned with PC (or Mac) gaming?
    I can understand if you are running simple games, but the more "processor intensive" programs seem like they should only run on a dedicated gaming system. Let me explain...

Now that Sony and MS are about to introduce their next gaming systems, internet game play on them will be so much easier. So, computers will no longer be needed to connect to the internet. On a dedicated gaming system there is no need to worry about "specs" since a PS3 will be a PS3, no need to worry about if the processor is fast enough or the graphics card strong enough. The last PC game I bought was 3 years ago. Why? If I want to play a game, I'll buy a gaming system, not try to make it fit into my current computer.

For gaming, most computers need to be replaced or upgraded every 3-4 years because they become obsolete. 3-4 years is about the time a new gaming system comes out. So, just buy that!

Sorry for my little rant, but I needed to get it off my chest.

2. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

To many people, building and upgrading their computers is a hobby. The keyboard and mouse is superior to the console controller on many games.

It doesn't really matter, though. Let people play what they want... no need to rant about it.

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I still think computer games (as opposed to console games) look better. Plus, I have the ability to tweak/mod/update a computer game, which you cannot really do on a console game.

4. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

You can't chat with other players in console games.

Games like Rainbox Six, CS, Age of Empires and Quake are so much more fun when you're able to type out messages to other players.

PC and Mac gaming is here to stay.

5. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Yeah, I mostly agree with you there. That's why I sold my gaming PC back in May, and now have a really old 450 MHz PC as my x86 box to play with. Upgrading and tweaking the PC is a hobby of mine, I just realized it doesn't have to be so expensive, that upgrading a old PC with scrap or really cheap parts could be fun. My old PC for example, it didn't have any ethernet card! So I got one for free off someone and put that in. Memory was only 64 MB! So I picked up a 256 MB stick for $5 from someone and put that in. The CD-ROM drive was broken, so I bought a $15 used DVD-ROM/CD-R drive and put that in. My PC is actually pretty neat right now, and I've only put $20 into it.

The operating system? Ubuntu Linux.

6. Melkor macrumors 6502

Does anyone know how the next generation consoles will compare to current PC/mac gaming? Will the graphics be better or what?

Btw my knowledge of computers is limited, so I would be greatful if somone could traslated the specs of my PC into english I can understand. (sorry to go off topic in the thread)

here's what it says on my PC case:

AMD Athlon 64
    processor 3400+1GB DDR
    200GB hard drive
    DVD drive
    DVD writer
    +/- R/ +-RW 16x max double layer
    NVIDIA GeForce
    FX 5500
    256MB video memory

It has better game graphics better than any console ive played which is probably why I havent played a console in many months.

Btw, to keep on topic with your thread, one of the reasons I love gaming on PC/macs is cause ive gotten used to the keyboard/mouse controles which have a much better feel than a joypad imo.

7. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Civilization IV . . . enough said. *Goes back to kicking the crap out of George Washington*

8. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Well depends on which console. From a graphics standpoint they all are going to blow your system away. The GeForce 5xxx series really wasn't that good. ATI really kicked Nvidia around like a soccer ball. The 6xxx series revered that trend and the 7xxx series that just came out is da bomb. From a CPU and RAM standpoint. *shrugs* you have to keep in mind that your system may have more RAM but a came console has a very “tight” OS that is specialized for a core set of operations and functions so the RAM is used more by games and the new consoles can actually divvy it up between functions. So at the end of the day its Apples to oranges. Even more so with the processor. They are HIGHLY optimized for gaming. That is why Microsoft can drop 3 3.5Ghz PPC chips into a tight little box like the 360 and Apple can’t hit 3Ghz.
    Also there are the intangibles. Supposedly the Nintendo Revolution is going to have a dedicated physics processor on board. So CPU, GPU, and now PPU. Things like that are on the PC . . . yet. There is talk though of sever companies bringing out add-on cards for physics.
    All in all the round about answer is going to be yes. . . For now. Keep in mind that these consoles are going to be around and theoretically NOT upgraded for 5+ years. Computer hardware will blow it away within a year. Two tops.

PS- If you are asking if you have a good computer. Answer is yes. Way yes. Could I have it please? ;)
    Could stand a GPU upgrade to the 6xxx series but in no way is it mandatory.

9. Melkor macrumors 6502

Thanks for the detailed reply SiliconAddict. Btw, how mang Ghz's is the processor? I don't think it says it. (it's probably staring me right in the face :eek: )

10. CalGrunt macrumors regular

Huh ??? With XBox Live, you can chat with other players using your voice rather than chat using a keyboard.

11. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

http://www.ventrilo.com/

12. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

good point, and they may always LOOK better, but if they don't run as well as they look, they are useless...However to defend the computer gaming, some games do handle much better with a keyboard as oppose to a mouse. I personally like controllers, but keyboards with all the customizing/layout option is sometimes hard to compete with.

13. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Personally, I've had all types of consoles, and gaming PC's (you can check my sig for my gaming rigs :D). I build my own systems because I really get joy knowing that I can choose every piece of hardware to install in my system, and see the direct effects while gaming. Also, it saves me quite a bit of money. High end gaming is no joke. The hardware usually costs quite a bit of money, and dedicated time to whatever game you choose to play. I'm not *that* hardcore, but I really do enjoy gaming with everything at the highest res/highest details. And comparing consoles to PC's, the graphics, playability, and overall experience are much better with PC's than with console games. To me, it simply seems so much more immersive (clans, tournaments, customizing levels/skins/mods, etc.). Yes, I've played everything from Rainbow Six to SoCom on Xbox and PS2, but you just don't get the same feeling that you do gaming playing BF2, CS:S, UT2004, or any other really good fps online (or RTS or MMORPG, if you're into those). Just my $.02

14. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

It depends on the game.

Grand Theft Auto is more fun on a console than a PC in my oppinion.
    But Battlefield 1942 would suck on a console! All those moves and commands!

Then there are games like Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 or Civ4 that would only work on a PC... (or mac)

15. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Our friend Google is saying its a 2.4Ghz. Not the fastest but a 2.4 is prob the equivalent of a 3.2Ghz Pentium 4 and will run anything thrown at it game wise for the next year or so without skipping a beat. In late 2007 it might start getting a bit long in the tooth but still. Its going to be a while before your machine can’t match at least the minimum specs.

16. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

1) This is what the gaming forum is for...
    2) My PC plays Doom3 like a dream, but I didn't even waste bandwidth downloading it after playing it at a friend's house - it looks crap

17. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

No, the 3400+ Sempron runs at 2.2 ghz...(the better 3400+ sledgehammer cpu runs at 2.2 ghz...but it's a mobile chip, not a desktop)...I love my FX-55 running at 2.8 though :D

18. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    I can't stand using mouse/keyboard. It's not intuitive and there's much more room for error.

Online gaming with consoles DOES allow you to chat, either through voice or text. You can even send a message to someone and thye'll get it next tiem they logon.

And, if everyone is using a controller, everyone has the same control advantage, so the responsiveness excuse of keyboard/mouse vs. controller, IMO, is lame.

19. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

This is going to piss off some folks but Consoles are for kiddies,Macs are for work and Pcs are for Gaming............. but soon Macs will do it all!

When you look at Cpu horspower,Gpu Horsepower,Memory etc the Consoles are for kids when compared what Pc's can do today. A $300 console doesnt come close when there are video cards that cost double that. I would tell anyone go sink your $$$ into a computer or even Mac before wasting it on a platform specific unless you have to have that game that only plays on that console. Kids will be Kids and i understand the low cost appeals to the student or jobless.

20. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

I would so love to use the S word here, but I fear that I may get banned again

21. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

"scrodem?"

The statement that consoles for kiddies is crass generalization, at best. That's like me saying "PC GAMES are for elitist (insert favorite expletive here). It comes down to preference. And I prefer console games over PC games because PC games, well, suck (IMO). Not too much variety in game play there. When's the last time Metal Gear or DOA was ported to PC? Yeah, that's what I thought.

I can care less about Half Life and other famous PC titles. What concernes me are the games I love, and they're all on console.

22. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

You couldn't be further from the truth. PC offers SO much more in terms of variety of gameplay; I can't believe you'd even say that. In addition, Metal Gear? In terms of graphics/gameplay, those games don't even come close to comparing to games like BF2, UT2004, etc. Not even close. Of course console games aren't ported to PC; it's b/c they're garbage compared to the PC games in terms of graphics, gameplay, and the like. Metal Gear doesn't hold a candle to PC fps's; thus, they have no reason to WANT to port it.

You may "care less about Half Life and other famous PC titles," but in my mind, and millions across the globe, those PC games are far superior in terms of graphics, gameplay, sound, online content, etc. than lackluster Metal Gear games and the like.

With a console, you are limited to one specific type of hardware on all of those consoles across the world vs. the PC, where you can spend a helluva lot more money on a kick@$$ system (if you want a great cpu, video card, etc.), but you really get a lot more out of it, even if you're talking the sheer aesthetics/detail of a game's graphics, nevermind the advantages you get in gameplay with 100 buttons/options compared to a couple of xyz buttons on a controller.

23. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

No, "stupid" *gasping from mods* "WHAT DID HE SAY!" :p

But what really annoys me about PC gaming - nothing that I could play with a bunch of others except over LAN or Online

24. jdechko macrumors 68040

I think that, as with everything else, its a matter of preference. I like computing on a laptop, and therefore, I sacrifice a lot of upgradability on my system. I can play Unreal Tournament (the original) and Half-Life/Counterstrike if I wish, as well as some other older (3-5) year old games. They dont look as nice, but its a sacrifice I was willing to make. Here's the way I think about it:

Gaming computer = $1,000 base price AT LEAST (and this doesnt iclude a monitor, which I dont already have) Lasts 3 years worth of games after which I need to invest more in it, lets just say 300 for more RAM and a new Video Card. Lets say after the upgrades, it lasts another 3 years. So for $1300+ (conservatively) I have a machine that lasts me for 6 years.

OR

I can buy a console for $200 and play it for 6 years.

Tough choice...

25. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

How can I be far from the truth if I prefer Metal Gear, the ONLY game to incorperate true stealth techniques, over a bunch of FPS? It's what I prefer. I can care less about a PC's graphics as well. Metal Gear's been one of the pioneer on gameplay, graphics, cinemas, and story in video game history.

Your gaming PC costs 1k. A next gen console - 400 bucks. And I can hook it up to my AV 7.1 receiver, and sit on my very comfortable couch, smoke, drink, and kill some russians. Your preference may be pc's, but for me, I'd take a console any day over it.