Gaming with ATI vs nVIDIA

Discussion in 'Games' started by Converted2Truth, Jul 7, 2004.

1. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

As I've read through these game forums over the last year, I can't help but notice the occasional anti-nvidia attitude. Did nvidia do something bad to mac gamers? Do nvidia cards have lots of issues with games that never get patched? Is every mac gamer an devout ATI enthusiast?

I ask because I've preordered a 6800 Ultra, and i am wondering now if nvidia will support the card well so that i can play games for the next 3 years without problems. I know the 9800 series from ATI includes a utility application that lets you control graphics settings for games/apps. Do nvidia cards carry the same type of utility?

Would I be better off waiting to see what ATI pulls out of the hat? or just buy the 9800se? Is the 9800XT available anywhere? Sorry about all the questions, but i can't find substantial info on the net anywhere. Freakin nvidia hasn't even posted info on the mac version of the 6800 on their website.

If anyone has advise, or info, i'd be really appreciated. I don't want to buy the wrong card, especially when they are so pricey

2. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

For years nVidia has been kinda flaky in the Mac department. They make a great card every 3 years and it's a big deal. Drivers are usually kinda late and no overdrives are available.

ATi often offers several retail cards for the Mac (ex: 7500,8500,9000[64&128],9800,9800SE,9800XT) while nVidia rarely even sells upgrade cards for the Mac. If they do, often they are BTO, or sold by Apple only.

By no means does that suggest that the 6800 isn't goign to be a monster, but ATi has usually made the Mac crowd feel more appreciated, that's all.

3. Ninja_Turtle macrumors 6502

party

this is a dilly of a pickle...hmmmm Nvidia does have good cards and so do ATI...now ATI has had more time with the Mac community, but then they sorta put mac cards a little too late, as while the Nvidia 6800 came out in around April..its now on the Mac...I figure that pretty good timing...hmmm....if i were you, id buy one of each, test them out, then return the one you dont want...haha :D

4. zakee00 macrumors regular

zakee00

I don't like nVIDIA, just because they used to have some problems with 3D artifacts in cirtian games. ATi has already pulled a card out of a hat, it's called the x800 XT. It proforms just as good or better than the 6800 Ultra. Both of these are about twice as fast as they're predecessors,:eek: the 9800 XT and FX 5950 Ultra, which were already crazy fast lol. nVIDIA's tend to be faster in the OpenGL department (just marginally), so it makes sense for Apple to pick them for the top-of-the-line BTO Powermacs. I haven't heard anything about a Mac version of the x800 XT, but it's bound to happen and I presume it will also have 2x Dual-Link DVI so you can use it with the new 30" (or 2:)). Another thing to watch out for is PCI-Express versions of these cards. The next Powermac update is SURE to have PCI-Express, if Apple has any sense. This won't make a huge difference in games, but it'll be the new thing for a while :p.
    Bottom line: You only need either of these cards if you want to/might in the future need to drive a 30" (or 2 :)) display, OR if you want the best gaming experence possible. Doom III is comming soon, and this is the machine to play it on :D
    Lol hope this beastly post helped,
    Nick

EDIT: There is NO comparing the 6800 Ultra to the 9800 xt. The 6800 is nVIDIA's next-gen card, it TOTALLY smokes the 9800 xt HANDS DOWN. Over twice as fast. You can drool over the PC benchmarks, www.tomshardware.com.
    Have fun :D

5. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

I used to be an nvidia fan boy...

Back when i was a pc user i swore by my nvidia grapics card (fx5600 128mb). Now that i have my emac and see ati's card i mustsay i am pleased. My only wish is that apple put it with a higher capacity one in it. I am currently running ATI Radeon 9200 graphics processor with 32MB of dedicated Double Data Rate (DDR) video memory. I must say it is quite fast but wish it had a larger memory like maybe 128 or 256mb. Oh well i can wish. But i game alot on it. I mainly play diablo 2 and warcraft 3 (waiting for WoW). It does the job and for that ATI is ok in my book.

6. Mercury macrumors regular

I guess I'm reminded of last year's MWSF where I sat through both ATI and NVidia presentations in the gaming section. Whereas NVidia seemed to focus completely on pushing more pixels faster, ATI had a more holistic approach based on image quality, shaders, and FSAA. The NVidia guy got a few hecklers and was unable to answer any mac-specific questions whereas the ATI guy was quite helpful. That's just one comparison, so take it as you will. Overall, I just get the feeling that ATI is a better company. This doesn't mean, however, that I won't be considering changing my Radeon 9800XT to a GeForce 6800.

7. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

The x800 XT probably would provide slightly better graphics quality overall. The 6800 on the other hand probably will provide slightly better frame rates at high resolution. I think this agrees with Mercury's impressions from the MWSF presentations.

8. garybUK Guest

garybUK

The 6800 series and X800 series are about on par... the only advantage i see that the ATI has over Nvidia is it runs cooler (the GPU) and it requires less power.. they are both scrambling to be king but are both kind of there.

ATI have pushed their limit to the X800 XT and Nvidia responded with the 6800 Ultra which is currently the fastest card (?debatable?) that you can get.

Obviously Apple fealt this as they chose this as their new card, maybe a X800 in the pipeline?

I think it will be more than plenty for a graphics card for now, the only games that will take advantage of this card will be doom3 when its released. (i know a developer in wimbledon who's working on it as we speak).

I heard of a PC/Mac dual release :)

i think i may go order one now.

9. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I have also orderd the 6800.

I would have preferred an ATi X800 card, if it were there.
    nVidia's cards did have some problems in the past. MOHAA (and Spearhead) had some irritating visual artifacts when playing on an (overexpensive) GeForce 4 Ti. Also the 3D override features for the modern ATi cards are absolutely superb!. I hope nVidia will do something similar with this new 6800-beast.

10. garybUK Guest

garybUK

ahhh bring back the days of the 3dfx voodoo's :p they are all using their sli technology now anyway.

Back in the day of rage cards / early radeons, their drivers were unbeleivable buggy and everyone i knew swore by nvidia's geforce 2 TI/3TI/4TI's

11. leandroc76 macrumors regular

Zakee, Are you sure the ATI supports the 30" monitor? Apple only has the "Nvidia 6800 only" when configuring for a 30" monitor at thier store.

I could be wrong

12. Converted2Truth thread starter macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

He's talking about the X800, which hasn't been released yet for the mac. If/when it does, he's saying it will support dual link dvi

13. osprey76 macrumors 6502

Keep in mind that nVidia and ATI run their business models differently. ATI designs, builds and sells their video cards. nVidia designs and sells their components to third parties that actually produce the consumer item. You don't buy a nVidia card, per se. You buy a PNY or a Verto (or an Apple) nVidia card. nVidia makes a reference design that others modify from there. The only way to get more nVidia cards would be for Apple to start producing more or a third party (PNY, Verto, et al.) getting involved.

14. zakee00 macrumors regular

zakee00

Yeah, thats another reason why I prefer ATi, they make theyre own cards, and you have the option of buying from a 3rd party if you want (in the PC world anyway). Sorry if I was unclear on the 9800 driving a 30", it cant. I would assume that if ATi is working on a Mac version of the x800 XT that it would have 2x Dual Link DVI, but that is just an assumption. And in that case, it could drive 2 30" displays. Another thing, just like Valve endorses ATi with half life 2, id has chosen to endorse nVIDIA with Doom III (go figure). AKA, Doom III will most likely run better on the 6800 than the x800 XT. Now we just need HL2 for mac
    :D :D :D :D
    -Nick