Gamma on Intel Macs

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Truffy, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Truffy macrumors 6502a

Truffy

Not sure if this is the right place, but it's a question that cuts across a number of the forums. Please move as you see fit.

What are the implications for gamma with the move to Intel? Currently, using a Mac for eiditing that may be viewed (predominantly) on Wintel PCs is a bit of a headache. With the move to Intel, and possibly more 'mainstream' graphics cards, will Mac gamma move toward the Windows value?

I can see that some might fuliminate at the prospect, but I'd quite welcome it.

[dons flame-proof undergarments]

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Interesting question, and I haven't seen it posted yet (though I haven't read all of the huge threads either), so lets hope there are some good thoughts on it. I think it is the perfect time to harmonize the two, and like you, I have had the same problems. Too often it either looks dark on the PC or washed out on the Mac.

I'm interested to hear if it has been addressed already by Apple.

Woof, Woof - Dawg

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Been trying to find an answer to this on the web, but no luck so far.

Anybody care to speculate??

Woof, Woof - Dawg

4. nrd macrumors member

I believe gamma is driver-dependent, so it will likely stay the same.

I am not an expert, I am simply regurgitating info found in some google searches.

Hope that helps.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I know that there are a number of utilities that can calibrate and reset gamma to other settings... but just wondering if Apple will use this as an opportunity to change their default to match other X86 architecture.

Woof, Woof - Dawg

6. punkbass25 macrumors member

last time i checked you can alter your gamma settings if you setup and calibrate a new color profile for your monitor, no utilities neccasary.

it even has marked the mac and PC standards

although this could just be for certain monitors i'm not sure

7. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

Personally I like Mac gamma better, PC gamma is far too dark and gloomy... and besides, have you seen aqua under PC gamma? It looks horrible! I really doubt Apple will be changing the default gamma.

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I too, like the Mac gamma better, but the rest of the world uses a different standard. If it weren't for the web, it wouldn't matter much, but trying to look good on both is a challenge in some ways.

I doubt Apple will sway the rest of the world to their gamma setting. :(

Woof, Woof - Dawg

9. Truffy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Truffy

I know that gamma is card-specific, but am not sure whether it's set in hardware, firmware or drivers. But if the drivers have to be (re)written to support the new platform, it would be great if they defaulted to the most widely used value (I had to resist the word 'standard' there! ;) )

10. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

I certainly hope it stays with the Mac settings. It's just one more thing that's better about using a Mac - speaking as one who has to use a gloomy PC at work all day. :(

11. Celeron macrumors 6502a

Gamma is an OS controlled setting. The CPU running on the box has absolutely nor effect on it. And for what its worth, Mac based hardware runs the same video cards as PCs.

12. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

The real problem is all these brain dead image formats that don't encode the imformation to correct it for each system (PNG has it in theory, but hardly anything bothers to implement it). Bleah.

13. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Apple won't change their gamma- I suppose they could have at any point, but have chose not to because their gamma is obviously better. You can set your computer to windows gamma if you want... (which is the same as television gamma). Web design programs like Fireworks allow you to toggle back and forth between gammas with a keystroke, so there's not much reason to switch permanently to Windows gamma. There's also programs like 'GammaToggleX' that let you switch gammas on the fly.

14. Dane D. macrumors 6502a

Most people don't calibrate

I'm in the graphics industry and all my Macs are set to a Gamma of 1.8. PCs use a Gamma of 2.2, much brighter. My opinion is most users don't calibrate their monitor and if they do, they don't re-calibrate often or at all. PC users are usually clueless to calibration and don't care. Most of my PC buddies look at me and say "why calibrate, it looks fine to me". They could care less so long as the screen looks good to them. Mac won't change its Gamma because of a CPU change, but the prospect of better video card options is welcome. Funny how people jump to conclusions about something like this issue of CPU change and freak out. Macintosh will be Macintosh no matter what CPU is under the hood. Look at the history of Macintosh; 680x0 chip to PPC chip, it was and still is a Mac, its the OS people that makes a great computer matched with the most reliable hardware.