Gangs claim their turf in Iraq

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, May 2, 2006.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

chicago suntimes

it'll be interesting to see what happens to gang violence in chicago once troops are withdrawn.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. aquajet macrumors 68020

Nearly 10,000 soldiers have been discharged from the military since don't ask, don't tell simply because they are gay. I'm thrilled to hear our government places the Gangster Disciples in a higher regard.

3. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Well, they need somebody to join the military. No one else seems to want to for some reason. And hey, at least they already know how to shoot people. Of course, it's indiscriminately and they have little concern for innocents caught in the crossfire (which most of the soldiers I know find deplorable), but hey, you go to war with the military you have, not the one you want. :rolleyes:

4. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Plenty of people want to join the military, just not enough for the Army/Marines apparently. They've been hurting for people. This just shows how much. Air Force/Navy wouldn't have any of this, especially with force shaping going on.

5. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

:rolleyes:

6. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

the article mentions that it was a marine who sent home some flak jackets to a gang. from my civilian understanding of our military, the marines are not the army.

7. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Army/Marines. I'll edit my post. I hate the fact that they are having to cut into quality for quantity with those two branches.

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

LOL thats funny, marines are not the army. So very true yet they seem to have the same mission many many times. The Navy wanted its own army hence Marines. Army of the Navy.

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Just one more reason war should be your absolute last resort.

10. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Have you met us?

Seriously though, I'll bet recruitment went up when we were going to Afghanistan after 9/11. But since Iraq is turning out to be more like Vietnam, and no one wants to reinstate the draft, the armed forces need new recruits. So they lower the standards. Been happening for awhile now. Army and Marines are the ones on the ground, so they need it, but I wouldn't be surprised if the others let requirements slip a bit too. Not saying it's right, but there it is. That was kinda my point AF. ;)

11. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Nope, the Air Force/Navy haven't been hurting at all. In fact, they've been cutting down on recruiting numbers and upping enlistment/commission standards(being a bit more strict on who gets in and who doesn't).

A bit of an older story, but still relevant:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2005-01-23-navy-air-recruits_x.htm

12. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I'm glad some of our armed forces still have standards if that's still true. I wonder if any of those who are rejected will join up with one of the other depts. Since the others are scrounging for troops, I guess not.

13. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

what evidence do we have that this isn't happening in all branches? is it simply the article not mentioning other branches, airforce's assertion, or something genuine?

14. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I don't know, but my friends in the AF are always complaining about the dumbasses they work with. Never heard them mention any gang members, but I do know a Marine who was kicked out for excessive drug use and sleeping with a 14 year old. All anecdotal, they aren't all bad of course, but the point remains that beggars can't be choosers.

You get the Army you have, not the one you want. ;)

15. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Such an imbalance has a logical cause.

Every year there are a certain number of people who choose to go into the service, and most of them have a blend of different reasons.

I would think that those who are joining mostly for the GI Bill and job training don't want to be hamburger in Iraq, so they lean toward Navy or Air Force because they know they can't be reassigned to IED duty.

Those who are enlisting to kill people would tend to join the Marines or Army.

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hmm... and here I thought our esteemed collegue AF enjoyed killing?

17. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Don't believe everything you read on the internet :p

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Ah. So all that stuff about machine-gunning immigrants and nuking Arabs was "humor", was it? What a wag you are!

19. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

i know: hiliarious! let's have a go at the blind now. "they won't even see it coming!" ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!

20. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Well considering the fact that you put a smilie on that too... now I don't know what to believe. :confused:

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I don't believe a word that comes out of your mouth.

22. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Well that's fine. All these words are straight out the fingers ;)

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

BWAHAAHAHAAAHAHAAHHAAAAA!!!!

Damn your funny! Did you go the the Richard Cohen school of comedy? 'Cause man... That was pure comedy gold! I'm still wiping the tears out of my eyes from that one. Just about busted my spleen. 'Cause you took my criticism and you took it and turned it around by suggesting that the lies you spew in this forum come for your fingers, not your mouth. Damn that's funny stuff. You got any more like that? 'Cause I'd love to hear them if you do. Seriously, was that an original line? 'Cause if it was, you should write for Leno. :D :D :D