gap around iMac screen

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Gosh, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Gosh macrumors 6502

Hi All, Hi Al,

My early 06 Intel iMac has a gap between the screen and the surround at the top and towards th top at the sides - it's really quite noticable. It looks like the screen is warped or the surround, I can't quite tell.

I have taken it in to the Apple Store who said it was an easy fix and fixed it there and then. But it's back again!

Anyone with similar experience?:confused:

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I'd say take a pic for us to see. Otherwise what do you want us to do about it?

3. Gosh thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't have a fancey camera - you'd know what I mean if you had the same problem - I would like to know if it's a known problem or unique.

4. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

It's not a problem at all. The casing doesn't always fit completely well during assembly and it can be off a bit. Unless it's having hardware issues, or the casing is falling apart, you don't have an issue. Mine has a pretty large gap at the bottom. I wouldn't worry about it.

5. nodabs macrumors regular

my 24" has an acceptable gap all around... moreso on the left hand side than others, however all a formidable gap all the way around

6. Gosh thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for replies. I would have thought the gap would short cycle cooling air? It wasn't there or so obvious before it went in for repair last!

7. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

Use a mirror to get your photo with the built-in iSight? :)

I have a 20" early Intel iMac. Do you mean a gap in the z axis (ie the two inches or so of thickness)? There is about a 1 mm gap between the plastic bezel and the screen on mine. The gap is less obvious near the camera and more pronounced at the top right corner.

But if you mean the x or y axis there is no vertical or horizontal gap between any of the four sides of the screen and the bezel.

8. Gosh thread starter macrumors 6502

Z axis from middle bezel to top corner about 4 mm at top right corner - less about 2 mm on left side.http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=59206&stc=1&d=1159982563

Sorry about photo quality - camera phone! partly obscured by shadow. (Just realized i've learnt how to submit attachments)!

Attached Files:

9. Gosh thread starter macrumors 6502

Just to update this thread - the Apple store have ordered up a new 'bezel' or binnacle to fit which should cure the problem. Apparently when they replaced the faulty graphics processor, the retaining clips were weakened when they dismantled it.

So hopefully all will be well and good again and I can accept visitors in again to view my beautiful iMac!