Garagband: Real Instrument (Vocals) Lost

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Pixelfrog, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Pixelfrog macrumors newbie

Pixelfrog

This happened to me twice now: I recorded a track with vocals and worked on it for several weeks until it was completely finished. I then went on to record new tracks. Weeks later when I wanted to make some changes to the track with the vocals I almost went into a deep coma - Garageband brings up an error when it loads the track, something like "Recording#002.aiff not found. When the application is open I see the placeholders for the voice recordings but they are empty!!! :eek: All other instruments are still there.

Basically it seems as if GB had placed the voice recordings somewhere on the hard drive and then lost them. I did a search but nothing can be found. This only seems to happen with real insruments, not the software instruments.

This is very frustrating as I'm unable to rerecord the vocals. Aren't real instrument recordings saved within the main aiff file? Is there a way to retrieve these recordings? If so, how? If not, how can I prevent this from happening again? :(

http://www.pixelfrogmusic.com

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Each recorded track would be saved as a separate AIFF inside the project bundle.

You may even want to try that: in the Finder, ctrl-click and Show Package Contents on the GB project icon, and take a peek at what is inside the Media folder in there. It's possible that your vocals are there and somehow disconnected from the sequence.

To avoid having things go missing, make backups.

3. Pixelfrog thread starter macrumors newbie

Pixelfrog

Thanks for the prompt reply. I will have to open that folder and see if that file is in there or not.

Actually I do make backups. I save every music project to an external hard drive as well. But even when I open the project from the external hard drive, I get the same error.

I did some research on the internet and found out that other people ran into the same issue. Just weird that GB does that.....