Garage Band and Copyright

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Apple Seed, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Apple Seed macrumors newbie

Hi! I've searched the forum looking for the answer to my question. I hope it's not a duplicate.

I thought garage band would be the perfect solution for me. That is until someone mentioned that it would be illegal for me to use any song I created because the loops were under copyright.

I'm a photographer and I need songs that can be played on cd/dvd slideshows. The slideshows showcase pictures from my clients' photo session and will be available for sale. I also need a song for my website.

Does anyone know if I can use songs that I created in Garage Band for those purposes? I don't want to break the law! Just get some songs for my slideshows and website.

Thanks!

2. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

To my knowledge, Garageband loops are royalty free. They were in Soundtrack, so I don't see why that would be any different in Garageband.

3. mcmav37 macrumors 6502

Yes, Mavimao is correct.

Check out this link from the Apple support page.

4. Apple Seed thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much Mavimao and McMav37! You made my day! This is so exciting for me!

:)

That link was really helpful too.

5. freiheit macrumors 6502a

Now of course if you add loops from some other source, you'll need to be aware of their license. Some are very restrictive (AMG's loop collections for instance) and others also offer complete royalty freedom.

6. Apple Seed thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for replying Don! You bring up a great point. I'll be very careful of what I use that didn't come with my original Garage Band. So far, I haven't added anything.. YET! ;) I was thinking about adding a Jam Pack soon though!