Garage Band - importing?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by hughmichael, Apr 4, 2007.

1. hughmichael macrumors newbie

hughmichael

Can I import an audiobook into Garage Band and cut it into chapters? I want to organize/edit the book. Failing that, is there another way? Thanks.

2. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

I don't see why it wouldn't work, but I'm sure it will depend on the audio format of the file.

If it's compatible,

Open Garageband, tell it you want to create a new song. it will open with a blank piano track, and probably bring up a software keyboard, unless you have a hardware keyboard (piano) connected.

close the software keyboard (piano), and delete the piano track (highlight it, click on Tracks, then Delete Track).

Now find your file in your mac, click and drag it into the large window of garageband where the piano track was.

If it's compatible it should start working on importing it. Depending on the size the import time will vary.

Next, find where you want to separate the track into chapters, and click just above the track. You should see a vertical line appear where you want to separate it.

Next, click (I think) Track>> Separate Track (may be under the Edit area, and may say Split Track instead of separate, but it's something to that effect.

Save as you go, just to be sure. But then you should also be able to Create new blank tracks, and then drop the piece after the split to the next track line, and do the same, or you can keep separating on the same line.

In order to save chapters as separate files I would save the entire book as a single file.

Then open the book, separate the 1st chapter, delete the part after the separator, save as BlahBlahBook-Chapter 1.

reopen entire book, separate before and after Chapter 2, delete before and after chapter 2, and save as BlahBlahBook-Chapter 2.

And continue thusly.

Good Luck,

Brian