Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
I'm trying to use garage band on my computer (10.4.1), but it says there are no preinstalled loops. Why the heck not? Where do I get them? Do I have to spend the heck money? What the heck?

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
When you say "use" Garageband, did you install it yourself?
What is the history & background?
Simply dragging the app from somewhere else will not work, and doing this from someone else's machine violates the license agreement.
A bit more information would be useful, like how you upgraded to Tiger, wether you ran Garageband before etc. etc.

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
no, garage band came preinstalled on my powerbook 1.67/1/100gb/15" when I bought it last month. It came with 10.3, but for 10 dollars more, I got the up-to-date 10.4. iLife was already on 10.3, as was garage band, I'm sure. Anyway, i updated to 10.4 a month ago. The point is, when I open garage band, and click the eye, it can't find any loops. A girl in my dorm also has garage band but she has a ton of loops, and I was just wondering if there's something I did wrong, or, more precisely, where I can get them.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says...when you updated to 10.4 did you happen to do an "archive and install" as opposed to a straight upgrade? Check in /Library/Application Support/Garageband and see what is in there - that is where all the loops are stored by default. At worst you should only need to reinstall Garageband from your restore disk....oh yeah!

crdean1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2005
Texas
same thing happened to me. archive and install when upgrading to tiger. i just found this thread. did anyone figure this out. duff man, there isn't anything in my apple loops folder. how do i just reinstall the loops via the disc?

thanks
crd

wrxguy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2005
Deepest Regions of Hell
thats odd, i have a PB i bought about 2 months ago and I upgraded to 10.4 and my garageband wasn't affected....try using your initial start disc you got w/ your comp

crdean1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2005
Texas
Thanks, I'll try that, but will it enable me to just install the loops, or do I have to reinstall garageband.

THX :confused:

margotspop

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2004
If you can locate where your Apple Loops are curently installed on your HD (do a search on Apple Loops and you should locate the folder), then all you have to do is open up GB, make sure the Loop Browser is visible, then drag and drop your Apple Loops folder onto the Loop Browser. It will reindex them and you should be all set.

crdean1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2005
Texas
margotspop said:
If you can locate where your Apple Loops are curently installed on your HD (do a search on Apple Loops and you should locate the folder), then all you have to do is open up GB, make sure the Loop Browser is visible, then drag and drop your Apple Loops folder onto the Loop Browser. It will reindex them and you should be all set.

I located the apple loops folder (not sure if there is more than one), but there is nothing in there. Are you saying to do this while my restore disk is in the slot?

Thanks for your help.

margotspop

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2004
No. I mean that there should be some loops already there. If you have no loops then there's nothing else for it but to reinstall.

As an aside, once you get everything back in order, you might want to move all your loops to an external drive (if you have one). It frees up a lot of space and they'll always be there (independent of any future upgrades).

crdean1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2005
Texas
You guys probably think I am an idiot, but I eventually found them under the "previous system" folder, I guess because of the archive and install method of installing Tiger. Then I tried to move them to the right place, and they dissapeared. No more loops. Where could they have gone. I tried find and spotlight.

CRD

margotspop

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2004
Do a search for 'aiff'. That should turn them up.

Instead of just moving them to the proper folder, it might be best to open up GB and drag and drop as I explained above. This will let GB index them properly.

crdean1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2005
Texas
I just did the drag and drop. It seems to be working, albeit slowly. I'll let you know when it finishes.

It is importing the files directly into the loop viewer in GB.

crdean1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2005
Texas
Yes, margotspop, it worked exactly as you described above. Now that I read that post again, it makes complete sense (I don't know what I was thinking trying to drag and drop folders). Thanks for your help, everything is working great now!!

CRD

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.