Garage Band Problems

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by BreederCreature, Mar 17, 2007.

1. BreederCreature macrumors member

BreederCreature

I've been recording my band's EP with my MacBook using Garage Band.

Since recording (which is done now), I've experienced:

-lost recording files
    -freezing (the color wheel spins and I left it for 28 min once before shutting down manually)

-My MacBook also restarted once, went back to all the default settings, lost nearly all my files (including my band's entire 6 song EP), and any application I opened gave me all the options as if I were opening it for the first time.

I had called tech support and the guy had no idea what happened or really what to do. After holding some buttons, restarting, taking the battery out, blah blah, I found my band's EP (the only thing I really care about losing) in the "recent items" tab when you click the apple in the right upper corner.

I have Apple Care, so I'm not that worried. I just don't want my band's EP to disappear.

Are the first 2 problems normal with Garage Band? And is the 3rd problem related to Garage Band at all? Maybe my MacBook is defective?

Also, is there any way to record more than 32 tracks in Garage Band?

Any help would be awesome, thanks!

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

not that this addresses the real problem, but always back up! after any session, recording or mixing, i make a backup before the end of the day, if not sooner.

3. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

No help with your problems, I'm afraid, but in my experience GB is a huge resource hog for what you get. I don't mean to rag on Apple, but it's just not a very efficient app. Others, with a lot more power, are easier on the resources. That could be part of the problem, though I'm sure there's more to it in your case.

4. BreederCreature thread starter macrumors member

BreederCreature

yea, I've been thinking of saving up and getting pro tools to record with, so that would fix a lot of problems.

That's a good idea (backing up). What I think I'm gonna do is get an external hard drive and dump the files into tha, then get my MacBook checked out.