garage band

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nickjalder, Oct 29, 2006.

1. nickjalder macrumors newbie

Oct 28, 2006
    OK hope this question hasn't been done to death.

I want to get a mac for recording music on (nothing amazingly professional) so can anyone let me know how good garageband is for recording rela instruments (as oppose to the presets). How does a guitar sound when plugged into the mac??

Also how good is the mic on a macbook? Good enough for vox or would i need to get an external mic for this??

2. rgates2000 macrumors newbie

Oct 6, 2006
    Sammamish, WA
    Hi Nick,

I can't answer the first question as I don't have an electric instrument to plug in, but I can say with certainty that you will want to purchase an external mic if you want to do any kind of vocal work. The built in one is sufficient for video conferencing, and perhaps even spoken word podcasts, but I wouldn't recommend it for singing or any type of voice over type work.
  3. calculus Guest

Dec 12, 2005
    The guitar will sound fine. Garageband has lots of guitar amp sounds that you can use. You'll need an external mic for vocals tho'.
  4. nickjalder thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 28, 2006
    will any external mic or is there a special vox mic i need??

5. quigleybc macrumors 68030

Jun 17, 2005
    Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Go to the Digital Audio Section of the forums, and start by reading the Primer.
  6. ddekker macrumors regular

Sep 23, 2006
    garage band

I watched an episode of I think it was Crankygeeks podcast and they had a gituar that plugged in USB... its most likely not a great one... but maybe they make a decent pickup or something for yours... watch the podcast and see.... it was pretty cool, they used the laptop like an effects box too... pretty sweet...