Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Julien

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Why doesn't someone make a keypad remote control that is Home Kit compatible? This would seem to be a killer product since it would not require you to buy a new opener. It would be user installable and seems like a natural. Is there some reason I'm overlooking what this simple and relatively inexpensive device could be made for almost all garage doors?

simonx314

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2015
That doesn't sound like a simple device. How does it get power, how does it communicate with your phone and how is access restricted to authorized users?

I use a Raspberry Pi to control my garage door with Siri. There are instructions online. You could use a Chamberlain/Liftmaster internet gateway + Homebridge. Or you could attach wires directly to the terminals on the back of the opener, attached to a relay controlled by a Raspberry Pi. HomeKit enabling my garage door has been a huge convenience.

pjarvi

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2006
Clovis, CA
Keep an eye on GoGoGate, they should be adding Homekit support to their product in the next year. They already support IFTTT with their iOS and Android app. Homekit requires new hardware though to support the encryption and Wi-fi chip(s) that Apple mandates. Their device is just an add-on, doesn't require a new opener.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.