Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MACDRIVE

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 17, 2006
Clovis, California
Associated Press

Air Force radio frequency jams garage door openers in national security test

By Robert Weller, The Associated Press
Article Launched:12/03/2006 12:00:00 AM PST

DENVER - What do remote-control garage door openers have to do with national security? A secretive Air Force facility in Colorado Springs tested a radio frequency this past week that it would use to communicate with first responders in the event of a homeland security threat. But the frequency also controls an estimated 50 million garage door openers, and hundreds of residents in the area found that theirs had suddenly stopped working.

"It would have been nice not to have to get out of the car and open the door manually," said Dewey Rinehard, pointing out that the outage happened during the first cold snap of the year, with lows in the teens.

Capt. Tracy Giles of the 21st Space Wing said Air Force officials were trying to figure out how to resolve the problem of their signal overpowering garage door remotes.

"They have turned it off to be good neighbors," he said.

The signals were coming from Cheyenne Mountain Air Station, home to the North American Aerospace Defense Command, a joint U.S. and Canadian operation set up during the Cold War to monitor Soviet missile and bomber threats.

Technically, the Air Force has the right to the frequency, which it began using nearly three years ago atsome bases. Signals have previously interfered with garage doors near bases in Florida, Maryland and Pennsylvania.
In general, effects from the transmissions would be felt only within 10 miles, but the Colorado Springs signal is beamed from atop 6,184-foot Cheyenne Mountain, which likely extends the range.

Holly Strack, who lives near the entrance to the facility, said, "I never thought my garage door was a threat to national security."

I thought I'd post this funny story. :D

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Most of the problems will be the people who cannot use a key to open a car door, plug in a ethernet cable, open a garage door etc.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I wonder why they need these particular frequencies. I would think that they would just use standard military radio channels:confused: , in the event of a homeland security threat.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
I wonder why they need these particular frequencies. I would think that they would just use standard military radio channels:confused: , in the event of a homeland security threat.
They might still be using a different channel than what the garage door openers use, but if they emit a very high power then it might still saturate the receivers for the door openers. My remote for the car alarm does not work when we are very close to some radio and TV towers in the city.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.