GarageBand 06 - crashing regularly

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by zathras, Mar 29, 2006.

1. zathras macrumors member

zathras

Relatively new Mac user here (+- 6 months)

I upgraded to '06 for the Podcast features and ever since upgrading GarageBand is crashing pretty regularly on me.

It will also ocassionally stop during playing/recording saying it was unable to play the track and I need to optimize the system. This will even happen when I only have one track open...

Any ideas/suggestions?

System - iMac isight G5 (2.1) w/ 1.5 GB RAM

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Do you have any instruments/musical peripherals plugged in? :)

3. drumpat01 macrumors 6502

drumpat01

if it stops playing and says you need to optimized that means your running out of system resources. You need to close off ALL other programs running including all your widgets. I would also go into system preferences, power settings, and set your processor for highest performance. Im using a 1.33PPC G4 in my iBook and even with all that done, i STILL sometimes get that message when I have a song playing with a lot of tracks. Good luck

4. zathras thread starter macrumors member

zathras

Yes I do have things plugged in :) - typically I use a M-audio pre and I also typically use a iControl.

I don't believe it is either of those because the same thing will happen if I'm just using it stock with a Monster iStudioLink (1/8" to 1/4" adapter) plugged into the Mic in.

I do have it set for highest performance and I have also tried it with shutting down most/all other programs.

It will even pop up the "stopped" message occasionally when there is only one track.

This never happened on the previous version so I'm guessing its a bug in the program more than anything at this point.

Edit - Memos to myself :) - was just looking at the Apple forums and found some reference to the Audio/Midi utility - I opened it on my ibook and have never seen it before. It appears to have a lot of settings to adjust so I may have to tweak the settings in there. Also apparently I need to make sure that audio input and output are not set to different devices.

5. margotspop macrumors regular

You know the same thing has been happening to me since I updated to the latest GB version. Often, with only a couple of tracks it tells me that I have "too many" tracks etc. It rarely used to do this with the previous version.