GarageBand 2 initial thoughts

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wwooden, Jan 22, 2005.

1. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Just got the new iLife yesterday and installed all but iDVD.

The new iPhoto is great and worth the price itself.

Anyway, this thread is about GarageBand 2.

So far, I like all the new features. I don't record more then just myself on the keyboard, so the mutli-track recording doesn't help me out. Maybe it is just me, but there are a lot more loops and software instruments then before. I'm glad to see they added new ones and to go along with the ones I already have.

The best addition for me was the music notation. It is very simple and performs in real time. My only complaint is I can't find a way to print the sheets. It seems stupid to have the ability to make the notation and not do anything with it. If there is a way to do it and i am just missing it, I would love to know.

There are a lot of little features added, and i keep finding new ones as i look around. You can now control the pan of the track through the entire song which is very nice. There is now an option to make your keyboard a mini piano with sustain, octive and velocity controls, very cool again.

I don't see a way to save them as MIDI files to use with other audio programs. But it can import them, so no need for plug ins.

My only complaint that they didn't add with this one besides what i mentioned above, was the ability to export the songs to iTunes as other formats besides an aif. When ever I create a song, I have to first export it to iTunes, then convert it to AAC or MP3, I wish it could do that automatically.

By far, iPhoto has recieved the most improvements in the new iLife and the editing features and books in it alone are worth the upgrade.

2. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Thanks for the info. My iLife '05 copy won't be arriving for another week or so.

It's a pity you can't print the music notation in GarageBand. I was afraid you wouldn't be able to, as there was no mention of it on the GarageBand website, but it's a massive feature they're missing out on. In fact, there isn't that much point to that view if you can't print it, unless you want to glance at it now and again.

I guess they export only to iTunes as an AIFF so that it preserves its full quality settings. The idea is that you can then burn it to a CD in all its glory. I don't think that's much of a problem though - it's easy enough to convert to AAC, MP3 or Apple Lossless in iTunes (Advanced menu).

I'm pleased that they've added more loops to the mix. I only make use of the drum beats because I always like to compose my own pieces (I'll be making use of the loop creation feature, I expect). But I do need a variety of drum loops to back up my songs and I don't want them to get too stale! I guess I might buy Jam Pack 3 at some point.

Is performance improved or is there no noticeable difference?

3. wwooden thread starter macrumors 68000

wwooden

i haven't really pushed GarageBand 2 yet to see if there is a difference in performance. I'm sure there is, at least a little. I don't really do much besides use loops and record the piano, so I never had a problem.

On a side note, iMovie HD is quite a bit faster. Transitions are processed much quicker and editing in the time line is very nice and makes a movie really fast to make.

4. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

That's always good. I have Final Cut Express version 1 so I don't use iMovie that much but I'd like to think about upgrading to FCE HD (as luckily FCE 1 users are still eligible for the upgrade) but I will have a good look at iMovie too because it's more compatible with iLife and easier for creating quick movies with nothing fancy or crazy effects! I do like iMovie though, so again it's nice to see that it should run a little faster.