GarageBand Accessories.....$ help?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by brobson, Jul 24, 2006.

1. brobson macrumors 6502

brobson

My 15 year old has a new passion: garageband. He makes his own songs-beats and lyrics and burns them for his friends. It's really cute.

He says he needs a Midi keyboard ($99) and a microphone ($150).

I hate to see him spend all of his money from mowing lawns unnecessarily especially since he is saving for an ibook.

Can anyone council me on what he needs and a good place to get a good buy?
    Brenda

2. Lebowski macrumors 6502

a midi keyboard is a good device for garageband. just make sure to find one that has USB out to connect to the mac. I use the Edirol PCR-30 (was 200 a few years ago).

as far as mics, 150 is a tad pricey, and you can find them for cheaper.

I personally do not use a mic for garageband, as i dont use vocals.... but if he wants to record real instruments such as a non electric guitar, any wind instruments, drums..... you need a mic.

3. brobson thread starter macrumors 6502

brobson

Thanks.

Forgive my total ignorance: but we already have a pretty decent keyboard.
    It isn't digital though so I don't suppose he could just get the microphone and feed the music into garageband could he?

4. calculus Guest

calculus

You could but a midi keyboard would give him access to all of the keyboard sounds contained within garageband. I use the M-Audio Keystation 49e - have a look on the Apple store site. They have it for $99. I am very pleased with mine. Can't advise about a mic but again the Apple store may have some.

5. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

If you recorded an instrument through a mic, it would be recorded in Garageband as a real instrument. If you recorded it through a USB keyboard, it would be recorded as a software instrument.

The difference is that you can change pitch, volume, modulation, even instruments (piano, drums, bass, etc) with software instruments.

A real instrument track records whats going through the mics. That means you get all the tone of the instrument. For example, although it would be much easier to make a track using software instruments, i would sacrifice the warmth of my Fender, so i record by plugging my bass into the audio line in.

For more information, have a look at the garageband site.

As for the purchases, you can easily spend anything between 50 to 5000 on a mic. If he is recording using the audio line in (which may or may not be on his iBook), buy a condenser mic, because that doesn't need power from an external source to record (correct me if I am wrong)
    If he is really into his music, you might want to consider matching him dollar-for-dollar on his purchases. This keeps a lot of responsibility on his part, and keeps his interest alive.

6. brobson thread starter macrumors 6502

brobson

My son says he ADORES you!!!
    Thanks for the info!

7. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    It's a pricey Realm he is entering into.

But a fun, and productive one.

I recommend a MIDI Keyboard from M-Audio.

an iMic

a little USB mic from Samson.

and if you really him to get excited the iControl...

8. laidbackliam macrumors 6502

i would not recommend a usb powered mic.

that said, go to musicians friend (google it), and you will find a plethora of choices for recording.

those midi keyboards that have been mentioned sound great, but for a mic, i wouldn't buy one through the apple store.

9. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    I've actually heard some good things about that Samson USB mic......

10. yoshiii macrumors member

Hello I wouldnt buy any of the ones mentioned. You want to buy a audio recording interface firewire or usb. I recommend firewire. THey usually have one or more mic/preamp and 1/4 input jacks and a midi in and out You can usually get one from anywhere of 99 dollars and up.

Here is one:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-FireWire-Solo-Mobile-Audio-Interface?sku=701364

Here is the page you want to look at:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/rec/navigation?N=100001+309117

Also check out other music websites.

11. ljump12 macrumors 6502

If your interested i could sell you a complete package for about $175?

it has a midi keyboard and on the midi keybaord is an input for Mic and and instrument. The midi keybaord plugs in USB to your computer... and i can throw in a cheap microphone and cable which should be everything he needs to get started!

I recorded http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=3826800&q=hi with it... if you want an idea of sound quality everything ran through that. Vocals and acoustic guitar through it, and all the midi instruments you hear are from the keyboard.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-Ozone-USB-Audio-and-MIDI-Controller?sku=701384
    Is the USB keybaord

12. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

does he "adore" us because we are getting you to spend money on him? :p

13. brobson thread starter macrumors 6502

brobson

Very nice music Brian G!

Hi Brian,
    Didn't mean to blow off your offer. He already purchased a mic and keyboard from the mac store. He ended up taking the mic back because the guy said our G3 was just as good for a microphone.

NOW he's purchased a MINI mac (so this hobby is officially a fortune) and will need a microphone. I am not clear on what the M-Audio is? It's the firewall instead of USB....what? I don't understand why we would need it instead of a microphone. Keep in mind here he is just a 15 yr old amateur but we don't want to make a mistake and underbuy and have to take it back.
    WHat do you think? (or anyone's opinion would be appreciated) And what kind of mic do you have for sale?

Brenda

14. ljump12 macrumors 6502

Heyy you got a PM