GarageBand Additional Content

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DJLC, Jan 7, 2013.

1. DJLC, Jan 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2013

macrumors 6502

DJLC

I work for a middle school with 200 MacBook Airs deployed in a 1-to-1 initiative; every kid gets a MacBook to take home with them.

I reimaged all of the MacBooks over the break to upgrade to Mountain Lion. I installed our iLife apps from the App Store beforehand, but I didn't realize that the App Store didn't install all of GarageBand. Now I'm met with 200 kids needing the admin password — after they wait 2-3 hours for the 1.6GB GarageBand Additional Content download.

I called Apple Educational Support about this, but they claim there's no way around it except to re-image again. They "escalated it" to a support exec who said the same thing.

Unfortunately, I'm not quite satisfied with that. I can't seem to find a way to find the Additional Content package as it downloads, nor is it available on Apple's support site. Does anyone else have any tips? Where could the content possibly end up? I looked thru /tmp with no luck.

Edit: A friend suggested running sudo fs_usage | grep Garageband as it downloads the content. I'm going to give that a shot tomorrow.

2. thread starter macrumors 6502

DJLC

K. Nevermind.

I made my own custom package to install the content found in /Library/Application Support/GarageBand/. Apparently there's no other way around it.